Do I buy another 522, or wait for the 622..?

Primus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am picking up my new car soon and have decided to let the camera go with the car,
it’s nothing to do withthe camera as such, it’s because the guy who fitted my previous camera broke the glovebox, he did tell me at the time but it seemed to work ok, it was only when I had my 522 fitted last year that the chap mentioned that the glovebox was broken but he had managed to get i back together and it still seems ok, So, rather than removing, the old camera it’s staying with the car, I’ve bought a cheap cam for the time being, but I quite fancy the new 622, when it’s out ( June?), or do I go for another 522..?, and not wait..

Looking forward to the 622 coming out, but I've read in reviews the 522 video quality is as good if not better than the old 612 4k so wonder if the 622 will be much of a difference. Also atm Nextbase have 25% off this weekend on Dashcams which makes the 522 with a rear module just over £150 which is a bargain.

Yes have seen the deals but I want it hardwired, waiting for Halfords to open properly so they can do it, leaning towards another 522...

I've not yet received my 622GW - there is a delay due to the pandemic - but not withstanding - Auto Express recommend it...

Paul.

Look at the pic in that link. Only one cam 'hanging down' on a ball and sucker. Does that not give a good indication of different manufacturers attitude to camera stability? And add Blackvue to the list of stable mounts. :ROFLMAO:

It doesn't show a 622though - it's a generic stock photo.

Yes, I realise that, it's just that the dingly dangly cameras (as is the 622) are outnumbered three to 1 in that shot.
I wonder why other manufactures chose to mount their cams differently. Could it be for stability I ask myself?

We'll have to wait and see. I will use the 3M sticky mount anyway.

Yes, I realise that, it's just that the dingly dangly cameras (as is the 622) are outnumbered three to 1 in that shot.
I wonder why other manufactures chose to mount their cams differently. Could it be for stability I ask myself?

dingly dangly, brick on a stick cams, they have a market, depends where you want to sell your cameras, they're generally more in big box, department store, cash and carry type retail, the DIY crowd are less intimidated by this type of install so will purchase this type of camera in preference to one that actually mounts securely

That Auto Express write up i have little trust in.
For instance the A129 pro they say "helped by Sony sensor technology, which keeps the image stable on rough roads" sounds to like they think dashcams have EIS :rolleyes:

To me that article are just fluff, and it do very little for me when sites post stuff like that.

to anyone that knows cameras these reviews are always questionable at best, unfortunately people that know no better take it as credible and give the reviews a lot more weight than they deserve in the decision making process, way too many people do their proper research after they purchase something when they can't figure out why their experience doesn't match the reviewers

For instance the A129 pro they say "helped by Sony sensor technology, which keeps the image stable on rough roads" sounds to like they think dashcams have EIS :rolleyes:

To me that article are just fluff, and it do very little for me when sites post stuff like that.
It is true that the A129 Pro has a stable image, but that is because it has a well designed mount, presumably the others they compared it with don't, no suction cup mount, or camera on a stick will come close. Nothing to do with Sony sensors.

"Its size does have drawbacks though, because the menu buttons are tiny and tricky to understand, especially since the camera doesn’t come with any instructions. "
How can up/down/OK be difficult to understand?
If you look in the box, there is an instruction manual, but who RTFM :D

From other Auto Express reviews I've read I wonder whether they actually 'test' some stuff.

I remember back in 2012 when they tested the 9th generation Honda Civic, the test text was clearly lifted straight from the 8th generation Civic review as some criticisms* were only applicable to the 8G. It was embarrassing to read as I had both generations so knew correct from wrong.

*Due to advertising revenue, any non VAG group car will get marked down.

Back