Do i have a faulty NextBase 612gw?

Big_P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I got the 612gw 2 weeks ago.
I plugged it into my car outside the shop on way to work and wasn't 100% knowing what I was doing. I have a 312gw so thought plug and play would be fine.
On my journey it kept saying ^recording stopped^ after around 16 seconds. It refused to record when I pressed the red circle on the screen to record.
Also refused to turn off. I unplugged it and let it turn it's self off. Plugged it back in, it Turned itself on and recorded automatically.....again around 16 seconds and said recording stopped.

2 weeks later and many searches online/Google I can't work out why it's not recording when I press record all the time. Sometime it does it but rarely and it's only 16 seconds.

I've tried a 128gb u3 class 10 card ,(1st) and then a 32gb I had in my 312gw just to see if it was any different. It made the 32gb useless.....it said format the card so I did, not it's not recognised in the 612 or 312 or laptop via adaptor or my phone.

I have put the 128gb back in today and on start it it records 16 seconds and says recording stopped.
Then sometimes it allows me to press record and it does so for a further 16 seconds but then it won't do it again not will it turn off via the button no matter how long I press it in for.

I've charged it up fully several times via car charger and in the house via the mains and the supplied usb. Everything else seems to work ok.....it just doesn't record!!

Also I've noticed it get very hot in a short space of time....is this normal? I've read online about 612gw over heating and freezing?

Is there a way to get it to record the 3 minutes that's selected in the settings and then continued recording during the journey or do I have to buy another so I have the packaging and receipt to return this one haha

Thanks

That shouldn't be happening @Big_P - have you tested the Samsung SD card using H2Test or similar?
I'd recommend emailing us some pictures of the both sides so we can take a look (the SD card): support@nextbase.co.uk

The 32Gb one won't work unfortunately as its likely a class 10 which isn't fast enough for the 4K.

The 612GW isn't overheating, rest assured the 4K recording along with being continuously connected to power does and will, with current technology cause extreme amounts of heat. This is why the casing is aluminium to help move it away from the important parts. That being said it will protect itself should the temperature increase to a level that would cause damage to the components.

Thanks for quick reply.
Here are some pics.
I'm not sure what h2test is so thats a no I've not tested it.

Attachments

• 20180804_160050.jpg
    20180804_160050.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180804_160104.jpg
    20180804_160104.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 18
I've just tried this 64gb that works perfect In a 312gw but still in my 612 it records 16 seconds and stops. Then nothing happens when try to press the record button, just beeps to acknowledge it being pressed.
I made a 2 minute video of the issue but file was too large so made a 1 minute from my turned the cam on. The pressing record and it recording on que but stopping after 16 seconds and then refuse to record or turn off. But that file was too large too.
I've checked my receipt from Halfords and it says I have 28 days to return it. I've spent the last 2 week's searching online how to sort it before swapping it because i didn't keep the packaging (wasn't expecting it be like this, thought it was me not having the hang of the settings to get it to record properly for the full 3 minutes it's set to and continue to record like the 312gw does) so if have to buy another and then use the packaging etc from that one and pop this one back in the box if I can't sort this out lol

Attachments

• 20180804_161934.jpg
    20180804_161934.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180804_161953.jpg
    20180804_161953.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 16
That Samsung card is fake unfortunately - send it back for a full refund and purchase from a UK retail store like Scan/Currys/Tesco.

None of the genuine brands use that CE format on the back.

That is why you're experiencing those symptoms.

I will check with SanDisk for the other one, where did you get it from?

Last edited:
It was from a UK seller online but guess they could have got it from abroad.
The 128gb doesn't have a CE on it but I'll try one from a walk in store and see if it makes a difference.
Thank you

A UK seller doesn't guarantee a genuine article unfortunately, please make sure you get the refund for the Samsung. They need to be made aware they're selling fake goods if they aren't already.

I will get back to you regarding the other one.

Thanks
That's the packaging for it if that helps.

Attachments

• 20180804_155646.jpg
    20180804_155646.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 7
Buying cards online is a minefield and I'd never ever use ebay (although currys has an ebay store). Stick with official retailers... I believe MyMemory is a reputable online one and quite competitive with price

Ordered one from a store click collect. Will get it on way to work later.
Its only 32gb but it's just to see if it records ok rather than being bothered about storage size.
If I need to upgrade i will if it works like it's meant to.
Fingers crossed haha

Thank you for all your help

I went to Halfords for my 32gb 4k Toshiba card via click n collect.

Got in car, opened it....after I opened it before I put it in I realised it was a nextbase 32gb NOT for 612gw on the packaging

Looked online on my phone and defo ordered a 4k one so went back in.

They gladly swapped it for the Toshiba one and it works a treat. So far lol

I out it in the dashcam and pressed nothing for fear lol it recorded and continued to record all the way to work without saying recording stopped.

Thanks again

I'll have to see if I can get my £24 back for this 128gb and £16 for this 64gb I got from eBay

I purposely ordered from UK sellers as didn't trust China as a selling location. Oh well. Live and learn

Thanks

Fantastic news - glad that has sorted it, its never easy to tell on eBay.

Back