Do I have a K5000? If not, what might it be?

Wing Nut

Reaction score
First post, but maybe I should have browsed here before I bargained for a Taiwan made 'Carcam' branded dashcam in a Hong Kong store last year, getting it for about US$40 - $50. It appears to be a K5000, which I wanted for its assumed better night performance, but its firmware (DVPLS100B06.110531) doesn't match any listed in Dashcamtalk's K2000/5000 FAQ. The only visual difference to K5000 images in the FAQ article is the swivel lens has a central strip of grip indents top and bottom that vary in length. Everything else seems the same externally.

BoxSmall2.jpg

I've hardly used it, however, because I can't turn on the ring of 8 LEDs around the lens. In fact, I'm wondering if they're even real LEDs. The 'Rodad Safety Guard' manual that came with it suggests the 'down' [<] button switches between day/night modes and the two bright LEDs on the main case either side of the lens is supposed to come on automatically in low light.

Firstly, my [<] and [>] ('up/down' buttons in the manual) work an undocumented (in the manual) digital zoom when in camera mode and have nothing to do with the functions listed for them in the manual - image rotate, LCD off/on and day/night modes. I have to use the menu to accomplish these things and even then the ring of 8 LEDs don't light up, or if they're IR LEDs, the night image is only improved when the 2 main LEDs are lit up via the menu. Maybe the wrong manual came in the box, since the text on the box mentions digital zoom.

I followed Dashcamtalk's K2000/5000 FAQ to try and save the firmware, but my 'K5000' doesn't drop into the engineering menu using the suggested ON sequence. In fact I tried just about every button combo I could think of while turning it on, but no hidden menu appeared. So I guess I don't have a regular K5000, but it does work reasonably well, at least in daylight. It handles a class 10 32GB card OK too, but I doubt it does true 1080P - jumpy playback. HDMI output works too. Audio is awful, but apparently this trait actually confirms a K2000/5000 heritage :roll:

I was about to give it away to a friend, but maybe someone can suggest a firmware fix, assuming I could get menu access, or at least tell me what model I possibly have. Maybe even direct me to a more appropriate manual, if there is one. Thanks!

Hi, I have the same camera. does the 32gb card work o.k.? i.e. no freezing?

I have an 8gb card at the moment but even on the 720p mode it only does 57 minutes of recording...

The 32GB does work smoothly on any HD file playback through the camera, but the higher def's do sometimes stutter a bit when played back through my PC. I don't think it's a problem with the MicroSD (genuine 32GB SanDisk Ultra Class10/U1) or the camera, but more with what I'm playing it back on - an older PC - the OS and software, since some apps play smoother than others. A smaller 8GB Class 2 MicroSD also works fine playing back 1080P files through the camera, but show the similar stutters when played on my PC.

So the bottom-line is, a fast 32GB and a slow 8GB MicroSD both work OK in this camera. The playback of the resulting HD files on my gear suggests I need a faster PC ;)

I meant to ask - does your camera actually do a night mode using the ring of IR LEDs, or just turn on its twin LEDs? And does the < > buttons do a digital zoom instead of switching modes, as suggested in the manual?

I think I have this camera. Diferent box but whether the internals are the same or not im not sure. Its terrible at night. Switching to night mode only switches on 2 bright leds to the left and right of the lens. Ive never looked into switching on the 8 infra red leds as I was informed before the camera arrived in june that they are useless.

I use 16gb card I get about 4 hours in 720p mode. Not the best if im honest but itll do me until I buy a new cam. It only cost me £32 including postage so I cant grumble.

Desperately want a better cam now though. I was unhappy about paying a lot up front as I didnt know much about them but after 3 months research into lots of different products I know what I want now and although dprice is still an issue (dont want to spend over £200) I know that buying premium now should last me a long time to come.

Switching to night mode only switches on 2 bright leds to the left and right of the lens. Ive never looked into switching on the 8 infra red leds as I was informed before the camera arrived in june that they are useless.

Yes, without taking the thing apart I've come to the conclusion that the ring of IR LEDs around the lens are just for looks and aren't even LEDs. I'm glad I bargained down at the time (Aug 2012), but annoyed to see similar (with working IR LEDs?) going now for half what I paid. I'll definitely be handing it on to someone who likes to tinker. They might even like to confirm my fake IR LED suspicions, but at least it sort of works and may be handy as it is, so I won't prise it apart myself.
Desperately want a better cam now though. I was unhappy about paying a lot up front as I didnt know much about them but after 3 months research into lots of different products I know what I want now and although dprice is still an issue (dont want to spend over £200) I know that buying premium now should last me a long time to come.

Likewise, my next one will probably be a premium brand, or at least a reputable cheapie that I can thoroughly test before buying.

Back