Do I Need A Crimping Tool For This?

springerview

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm installing a Viofo A229 and Cellink Neo with a Power Output Cable w/ Spliced Viofo USB-C (T130/A229) Hardwire Kit.

Do I need a crimping tool for this fuse tap connection?

fuse-tap-sm.jpg

OK, I crimped it (ugly) with pliers. It's secure. I taped it up. Everything's working well. However, I want to redo this connection with an appropriate crimping tool. There are lots of choices on Amazon. Any recommendations?

That will work too, you can also just "nix" the crimp connector and solder the 2 wires together, i normally do that ( and add some heat shrink tube on top of the solder spot ) as i keep forgetting getting a cheap crimp tool.
You can probably also use any other screw together wire doodad.

iu

IMO a basis simple soldering iron and a set of various size of heat shrink, like duct tape - CA glue and epoxy glue, something every man should have, along with cable ties ( kit various sizes ) and a cheap multimeter.
I also recommend having a kit of various size little neodymium magnets, these little magnets are strong so nice to have 2 clamping down on something you need to hold in place / glue together.
Of course they will not "grip" to each other thru a 1 " board, but little things they are wonderful.

iu

I have a few round ( disk ) and square ones, all about 10 mm diameter / sides and 4 mm thick, but i think i better get myself one of these assortments too, have used a few over the years, like for holding a body to a RC car ( slow moving scale offroader not super fast cars )

You can of course get much larger ones, but these quickly become insane strong, just these little ones, you can not pull them apart when 2 are stuck together, you need to slide them apart, the really big ones can be lethal.
So can smaller ones not least if you have little kids around that might swallow one

Last edited:
Thanks, @kamkar but I really don't want to mess with soldering. It's just a simple connection, but I want it to be more secure.

Over the years I've had various cheap crimp tools and they never really did a proper job. I decided to pay a bit more and got a Draper Expert. The difference shows as it allows a far tighter neater crimp.

Unlike the pliers action of cheaper models it has a square action and is easy to apply more pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used vice grips to crimp, now use a cheap crimper.

To test your crimp, do a "pull test". Take the connector in one hand, wire in the other, and pull hard.
A good crimp won't come loose. Bad crimp you'll have to scrap the connector, but better to know its bad.

Randy

I've always had better success folding the wire back over the soft shielding rather than trying to just crimp the wire.

I bought some connectors similar to Anderson powerpole connectors that are black and red and some crimpers off of Amazon. I like them a lot more than the butt splice connectors because if you want to change something around you don't have to cut and re-crimp the cable. I crimped onto my hardwire kit connectors and onto the Add-a-fuse. They seem to crimp better than the butt splice connectors on the smaller cables.

I ordered a Klein Tools 3005CR. It's the tool they use and recommend at BlackboxMyCar. It's overkill for a single crimp, but I'll likely use it in the future, and when it comes to tools I prefer quality and longevity.
When I went to re-crimp with the new tool I found that the ugly crip I made with pliers was actually solid. I broke the wire trying to get it out of the channel. But the ugly crimp had boogered the casing and was wrapped in duct tape. Now I have a nice clean and tidy crimp and a handy tool for future crimping.

Did you get the Retention Clip to hold the two connectors together?
No, I didn't know about them. The connectors seem to be holding together fine. Since I don't have actual APP connectors, only very similar, I'm not sure if the connectors I do have will work with the retention clips.

I didn't know about the roll pins either. Seems something pretty handy, but it's easier for me to have the connectors sitting apart and not together.

I cut mine off and used a cigarette lighter to heat the joint and soldered it, then sleeved it with heatshrink

Back