Do I need to hardwire for parking mode?

simba_ffo

Reaction score
Country
Tanzania, United Republic Of
Hello. I recently purchased an LK-7200 w/GPS. I got both the cig power cable and the normal hard wiring kit. I decided to use the cig cable.

I noticed that even though I had my settings for parking mode on and set to 5 minutes, it didn't switch. My camera stays in driving mode even my car is switched off. I have to manually switch to parking mode every time.

I have a 2014 Ford Ranger XL and it continues to provide power to the cig socket even when the car is switched off. Is this how it is with everyone else? Should I hard-wire it to use parking mode properly or is this just a problem with me?

Thanks.

Hello. I recently purchased an LK-7200 w/GPS. I got both the cig power cable and the normal hard wiring kit. I decided to use the cig cable.

I noticed that even though I had my settings for parking mode on and set to 5 minutes, it didn't switch. My camera stays in driving mode even my car is switched off. I have to manually switch to parking mode every time.

I have a 2014 Ford Ranger XL and it continues to provide power to the cig socket even when the car is switched off. Is this how it is with everyone else? Should I hard-wire it to use parking mode properly or is this just a problem with me?

Thanks.

I too have a 2014 F-150 and I have mine hardwired and mine will not switch to parking mode either. I have been emailing tech support at Lukas and have returned 2 units already. Even if I manually switch it to parking mode it switches right back to driving mode while truck is turned off. Tech support states it is the G-sensor that determines when the vehicle is no longer moving and is supposed to switch after the time delay that is set in the settings. I have mine set for 3 minutes. So my replacement camera came with a bonus cigarette lighter power connector and so I plugged that in and powered up the Lukas blackbox and still have the same results. I will not switch automatically or stay in parking mode even after I manually switch it. So tech support had me take pictures of my fuse box connections and diagram listing for my truck and so I did and sent them 3 days ago. I'm waiting for their reply. I glad to hear I'm not the only one having this problem.

I too have a 2014 F-150 and I have mine hardwired and mine will not switch to parking mode either. I have been emailing tech support at Lukas and have returned 2 units already. Even if I manually switch it to parking mode it switches right back to driving mode while truck is turned off. Tech support states it is the G-sensor that determines when the vehicle is no longer moving and is supposed to switch after the time delay that is set in the settings. I have mine set for 3 minutes. So my replacement camera came with a bonus cigarette lighter power connector and so I plugged that in and powered up the Lukas blackbox and still have the same results. I will not switch automatically or stay in parking mode even after I manually switch it. So tech support had me take pictures of my fuse box connections and diagram listing for my truck and so I did and sent them 3 days ago. I'm waiting for their reply. I glad to hear I'm not the only one having this problem.

I had the same issue with it going back to Driving Mode right after manually switching it to Parking mode. What I did was disable "Auto-switch to Driving Mode" in the settings on the Lukas viewer program. So basically it doesn't auto switch to Parking mode or Driving mode, I have to do them both manually. Maybe it's just older models of Lukas dash cams not having parking mode work properly with newer cars. I also have a 6200 Plus so I'll give that a try as well over the weekend.

Edit: My brother has a 2013 Ford Ranger XLT, gonna try the 7200 on that as well. I'll update after the weekend.

No one else has any ideas?
Thanks, I'll change that setting and at least have it be able to work in parking mode until Lukas figures out how to fix this. On another note; when viewing the Google map info the map switches between your current location and somewhere in China. (the longitude reciprocates between positive and negative about every 1.5 to 2 sec). So my assumption was this was the cause of the auto switching issue. It thinks the car is still moving. It all made sense because that's about how long it takes for it to switch back to driving mode after manually switching it to parking mode. I also thought it was based on the voltage of the car between engine running and not running... but tech support insists it the G-sensor and not the GPS that determines when the vehicle is not moving. And he said a firmware update coming out in August will fix the longitude issue on map viewing. I'm going to also try and unplug the GPS base module and try and see if it switches properly just for ****s and giggles. I'll update later today on my results.

Yeah I'm kinda used to it now with manual switching from parking to driving. It just takes 3 seconds anyway to hold down the manual parking mode button. I actually don't even really need parking mode, so I just switch off the dash cam when I park. I also switched off the G sensor. Roads in Tanzania aren't exactly the smoothest; even with settings on 1(insensitive) the cam still ends up recording event files.

That's actually a good thing to look at. I'll check it out now as well and see if disabling GPS makes a difference.

Hopefully all this gets sorted out. I have to sell these dash cams for my business so I don't want customers having any issues :/

Yeah I'm kinda used to it now with manual switching from parking to driving. It just takes 3 seconds anyway to hold down the manual parking mode button. I actually don't even really need parking mode, so I just switch off the dash cam when I park. I also switched off the G sensor. Roads in Tanzania aren't exactly the smoothest; even with settings on 1(insensitive) the cam still ends up recording event files.

That's actually a good thing to look at. I'll check it out now as well and see if disabling GPS makes a difference.

Hopefully all this gets sorted out. I have to sell these dash cams for my business so I don't want customers having any issues :/

Well I unplugged the GPS and it still switched back after 2 to 3 seconds to driving mode. An interesting thing happened when I manually switched it right back to parking mode a second time as it stayed in parking mode for about 30 seconds then it switched back to driving mode. I disabled the Auto switch to driving mode as you suggested and it now does stay in parking mode. As far as the G-sensor settings, you can customize even a lower setting than the lowest default selection. I live in San Diego and had to do this because it would still record a lot of nuisance events. Still waiting from Lukas Tech Support on an answer as far as the power connections in the fuse box.

I have a somewhat similar problem with my Lukas LK-9700 but in my case the dashcam would never go to parking mode (there is no dedicated parking mode button for 9700). What I noticed was that when I viewed the videos using the Lukas Viewer, the x-axis of the G-sensor defaults to -1 instead of 0. So in theory, the dashcam thought that the car was always in motion because the x-axis was at -1 (even when parked).

Any of you seeing this same issue with your videos?

Screen_Shot_2014_08_29_at_1_41_16_AM.png

I have a somewhat similar problem with my Lukas LK-9700 but in my case the dashcam would never go to parking mode (there is no dedicated parking mode button for 9700). What I noticed was that when I viewed the videos using the Lukas Viewer, the x-axis of the G-sensor defaults to -1 instead of 0. So in theory, the dashcam thought that the car was always in motion because the x-axis was at -1 (even when parked).

Any of you seeing this same issue with your videos?

Screen_Shot_2014_08_29_at_1_41_16_AM.png
RJ, the reciprocating X-Axis is very similar to the reciprocating longitude on the GPS sensor I notice when viewing the video with the Lukas viewer and clicking on the information tab and viewing the video and google satellite maps which kept flipping between San Diego and somewhere in China every 2 - 3 seconds. I thought this was my problem because the vehicle thinks its moving even though it is parked. But their tech support insisted it was the G-sensor that was at fault. So now they think my problem is how I have connected to the fuse panel. Here is the latest reply I received from tech support:

Btw, as to the photo you sent, you mentioned that you connected the wire to Run/accessory relay.
It’s maybe due to the different in expression but I couldn’t get what the Run/accessory relay is. Can you please give me more info about that?
I personally reckon that the fuse causes failure to switching to parking mode. Would you please connect the ACC wire to somewhere else? (I.e. cigar power or power outlet and etc. that is ACC). There was one customer who connected the ACC wire to horn fuse of his car. While it was so the cam never switched to parking mode.
He somewhat insisted that the horn of the car is ACC for sure. But after changing its connection to the other fuse it works perfect.
So I’d like to ask you to try the connection again.
Please let me know how it goes.
Thank you and have a great weekend.
Best Regards
Mi JIn

RJ, the reciprocating X-Axis is very similar to the reciprocating longitude on the GPS sensor I notice when viewing the video with the Lukas viewer and clicking on the information tab and viewing the video and google satellite maps which kept flipping between San Diego and somewhere in China every 2 - 3 seconds. I thought this was my problem because the vehicle thinks its moving even though it is parked. But their tech support insisted it was the G-sensor that was at fault. So now they think my problem is how I have connected to the fuse panel. Here is the latest reply I received from tech support:

Btw, as to the photo you sent, you mentioned that you connected the wire to Run/accessory relay.
It’s maybe due to the different in expression but I couldn’t get what the Run/accessory relay is. Can you please give me more info about that?
I personally reckon that the fuse causes failure to switching to parking mode. Would you please connect the ACC wire to somewhere else? (I.e. cigar power or power outlet and etc. that is ACC). There was one customer who connected the ACC wire to horn fuse of his car. While it was so the cam never switched to parking mode.
He somewhat insisted that the horn of the car is ACC for sure. But after changing its connection to the other fuse it works perfect.
So I’d like to ask you to try the connection again.
Please let me know how it goes.
Thank you and have a great weekend.
Best Regards
Mi JIn
BTW tech support said there was a firmware upgrade coming out this month to fix the Longitude issue!

Thanks for the update Peter.

I had mine connected to the cigarette lighter and my car has the cig lighter always on. I'm looking to hardwire the unit but I will only have time late September so I think I'll just wait for the firmware upgrade for now.

Unfortunately my 9700 is faulty and is now on its way back to the lukas store who have been very helpful throughout and will send a replacement as soon as the faulty camera arrives. Also it came with the wrong OBD2 lead so I cannot report my findings with the OBD2 application ........I also have some issues with internet connection which I will post in off topic.......Ipol

RJ, I finally was able to get the auto switching to parking and driving modes to work. I had the red lead hooked up to what I thought was an ACC (Switched power) but that was not the case. So as you already are aware the yellow lead connects to a constant 12 VDC (always on) and the red lead needs to be hooked up to a ACC switched power (only on when ignition is on). You must check both sides of the fuse blades to insure there is no voltage present when the ignition is off and only present when the ignition is in the on position. Once you have this hooked up correctly, the Blackbox will not energize until you first start the car or at least turn the ignition switch to the on position. After the black box boots up and announces it has started recording turn off the car and wait a minimum of 3 minutes (or how ever long you have it set to... 5 min is the default setting) for it to switch to parking mode. Don't forget to change the setting on the SD card back to automatically switch to driving mode. Now as far as the firmware update to correct the GPS flipping back and forth... well I'm going to ask tech support when that will be. He told me it was coming out in August , but August has come and gone and no update as of yet! I will post a reply as soon as I find out! Let me know if you get you system to work like it is supposed to. Take care until then!

Simba The above post explains how to correct the auto switching to and from parking mode. Also, Here is a link to download the Lukas Viewer update to correct the Google map issues: http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/board.php?bo_table=eng_viewer&wr_id=68 Follow the instructions and to get to the proper zip file there is a "List" button you can click on to reveal the zip files to download.

RJ, I noticed you have a 7900. This firmware/software is for the LK-7200 Cuty. You need to go to the Lukas Store and click on the support tab and look for your firmware updates.

Back