Do my cams Blackvue DR550GW 2CH set up correctly?

q_hung

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Hi All,

Before buying the dual cams Blackvue DR550GW 2CH, I watched some sample videos posted by Pitasoft. Those are quite sharp and clear.

However, the videos recorded by my cams are not so good as their advertisement. The video quality is poor, the image is blur, not sharp.

Attempted to turn the cams a little bit down, the same poor quality.

I am really disappointed with this cam, high price but video quality is similar to other cheaper cams. I do not know if I wrongly set up my cams or I bought the failed cams.

Before buying the dual cams Blackvue DR550GW 2CH, I watched some sample videos posted by Pitasoft. Those are quite sharp and clear.

I am really disappointed with this cam, high price but video quality is similar to other cheaper cams. I do not know if I wrongly set up my cams or I bought the failed cams.

You are not the first to report this cheating.
Unfortunately Pittasoft chose non-gentleman's marketing approach with posting on the official website edited or videos recorded from other cameras, or for just demo purpose they raised bit-rate, filtered video sample, or something else, just to make presentation attractive, to "catch the fish".

It's always good to read forums before making a decision to buy ;)

If you have a chance, then return it for full refund and chose something better.

sorry to hear you have had the same experience that all of us have had, I agree if you have only just installed it remove it and send it back as not fit for purpose.

I think I would have done that if I had the time over, I have just spent more cash on more cameras to be a backup. so the Blackvue is now just a interesting looking thing on the front an rear camera.

Hi q_hung,

There are some things you can do to make the video better.

(1) Adjust the video brightness to be very bright.
(2) There are also settings to move up the quality and HD resolution. Move those up and see if there is a difference.
(3) Aim the camera down a bit to avoid getting a lot of sky in the video. With a lot of bright sky, the other parts of the video will be darker and you will not see as much detail in the darker areas. Less bright sky means better video.
(4) Add a polarizing filter. I notice that you have looked at the thread I started on a polarizing filter. The filter will eliminate or greatly reduce the reflections that appear in your videos. Also, the filter will make the sky a bit darker, which will result in the rest of the video being a bit lighter, with more detail. The filter does not darken the sky a lot, but it does help.

I have not designed a filter adapter for the BlackVue rear camera, so you are out of luck there.

Other dashcams have better video, but I have found that, with adjustments, I can make the BlackVue video good enough.

I like the BlackVue for other reasons:
(1) It is easily removed, so you will not tempt someone to break into your car.
(2) The WiFi allows you to easily make configuration adjustments (like setting the video brightness).
(3) The click adjustments for aiming the dashcam up or down allow you to consistently aim the camera in the same vertical direction.
(4) The dashcam and its mounting system are small so that I can easily put a sunscreen on the interior of the windshield when the car is parked, even without removing the dashcam.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your advice, said to hear that! I made this choice after referring to other dash cam review websites, all advised that this dual cam has the best video quality at present!

I am now searching for another cam, currently looking at DOD LS300, Lukas LK-7900 ACE... If possible, can you recommend a better one in your opinion/ experience (My requirements are good/ best video quality, cam size not so big, dual lens is optional). Thanks.

You should post the question in the General Discussion Forum

This after all is the Blackvue forum so it could be said you will get a biased opinion LOL

Hi q_hung,

There are some things you can do to make the video better.

(1) Adjust the video brightness to be very bright.
(2) There are also settings to move up the quality and HD resolution. Move those up and see if there is a difference.
(3) Aim the camera down a bit to avoid getting a lot of sky in the video. With a lot of bright sky, the other parts of the video will be darker and you will not see as much detail in the darker areas. Less bright sky means better video.
(4) Add a polarizing filter. I notice that you have looked at the thread I started on a polarizing filter. The filter will eliminate or greatly reduce the reflections that appear in your videos. Also, the filter will make the sky a bit darker, which will result in the rest of the video being a bit lighter, with more detail. The filter does not darken the sky a lot, but it does help.

I have not designed a filter adapter for the BlackVue rear camera, so you are out of luck there.

Other dashcams have better video, but I have found that, with adjustments, I can make the BlackVue video good enough.

I like the BlackVue for other reasons:
(1) It is easily removed, so you will not tempt someone to break into your car.
(2) The WiFi allows you to easily make configuration adjustments (like setting the video brightness).
(3) The click adjustments for aiming the dashcam up or down allow you to consistently aim the camera in the same vertical direction.
(4) The dashcam and its mounting system are small so that I can easily put a sunscreen on the interior of the windshield when the car is parked, even without removing the dashcam.

Hello erewhon,

possible to design a polarizing filter for the DR 550 rear camera ?

Thanks

Back