Do not watch Youtube videos in Chrome... horrible quality

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Well, if you have RAW file, of course watch that but when watching youtube videos, chrome has horrible pixelation.

Firefox and IE are okay.
Anyone with similar experience?

Here are screen grabs from the same youtube video all watched at 720P:
Check the license plate and electric poles.

Chrome:
Chrome-Video-Screenshot.png

Firefox:
Firefox-Video-Screenshot.png

IE:
IE-Video-Screenshot.png

Last edited:
Was it a fresh video? Just wondering if maybe Chrome is playing the Flash or HTML5 version that isn't rendered properly when you've viewed it?

What do you mean by fresh video?
It was uploaded few days ago on 6th.

Here is the link:

Sunny, you need to hit pause and switch to 720p. The quality you linked above from Chrome, was 360p.

That's a strange one - in my Chrome it takes exactly 10 seconds to kick into 720p whereas in IE11 it takes around 4-5 seconds before it transitions to the higher quality stream. I've tested it quite a few times and it does exactly the same in each browser after quite a few tests.

Maybe Chrome just plays a lower quality stream for longer in the hope it will use less bandwidth from the Youtube servers (they have a vested interest) whereas MS don't care about saving Google's bandwidth?

Another tip, when you switch resolution, DON'T wait for it to change quality otherwise you'll be watching low quality for a while.
Just go back on the video either by mouse click or tap on left arrow and it'll force it to change quality right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be an issue with your video driver - if it was using hardware overlay you wouldn't be able to take screenshots the way you do as you'd just get a black screen.

Might be worth checking all of that out - I don't get any problems using Chrome here.

This could be an issue with your video driver - if it was using hardware overlay you wouldn't be able to tak screenshots the way you do as you'd just get a black screen
Might be worth checking all of that out - I don't get any problems using Chrome here.

2nd. I have watched tons of DashCam videos in Chrome with no issue.

Tried 3 different laptops from core 2 duo, i3 and i7.
All have same pixelation issue.

Have you compared with chrome and firefox or ie on same video at same resoluton?

Have you compared with chrome and firefox or ie on same video at same resoluton?
I used to be a FireFox user, then for some reason or another switched to chrome and never looked back. I think I seen a few test over a few months that bench marked it as a better browser.
I have not done any side by side, but I watch a lot of users on the Directory i posted in the video thread and they look fine.

Interesting, I just watched in my i3 and pix-elation has gone but still is slightly fuzzy compared to firefox.
I'll test on the core 2 duo as well.

Still the same issue on i7 though and it's the one that has the most pix-elation among all three.

Back