Do the Police act on Dashcam footage & other questions.

RudolfH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm absolutely raging & shaken following an incident last week & wonder whether a Dashcam would have helped me get the idiot banned.

I can't remember the last journey I made where I didn't see some moron Texting or driving like a psychopath. Last week I could have been killed. I've had enough.

So do any of you ever submit footage of reckless driving to the Police? Do they do anything about it???

Also, I remember years ago when I got a GPS, returning to my car to find it gone & a car full of glass... Do Dashcams attract theft?

Thanks

"Do they do anything about it??? "
Depends which part of the country you are in, but generally yes, if you have a clear image of the number plate and there is a clear offence or dangerous driving then they will either send them on a training course or give out a fixed penalty ticket, and a few of them results in an automatic ban. They may in the worst cases take them to court but that is rare, and it has been known for people to be jailed purely on dashcam evidence. Look up "Operation Snap".

"Do Dashcams attract theft? "
Not normally, but don't get one with a big shiny lens that looks expensive or like a GoPro that thieves may have a market for. They may even deter thieves since some will upload images to the internet cloud before the thieves can disable them so they avoid taking a close look to see what it is before acting.

Not sure if it is national. but in the UK you can turn video in to the police and they will act on it i assume.

Here in Denmark we dont have a system like that, and due to severe cop shortage unless it is video of a accident i think they will not care.
I did turn a guy in that in 30 seconds did so much wrong he would get 3 marks on his license and so loose it, but the police was not interested before i got media ( TV ) involved, and then i feel they only accepted my footage to get me and journalists off their back.
And its not like it was borderline offenses hard to judge by the video, the guy was passing on the Right and driving on bicycle paths and sidewalks.

You can get a dashcam stolen, but in our place of the world it is doubtful that will happen, most people are oblivious to dashcams, and they can be installed pretty stealthy on the top of your windscreen.
Personally i feel like the wedge style camera are the most stealthy, but how good you can do it depend on your car and the layout around the top & middle of the windscreen, you of course do not want to mount a dashcam on the middle like some people do with their GPS,,, actually here thats illegal.

you can browse this thread in reverse order and see a lot of pics how people have installed cameras in their cars. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-61

In Canada, police have responded to incidents which have gone viral. But that is in less populated areas than the Greater Toronto Area. Too much gun violence here, so the police have their hands full. Early implementers and early youtube active users of dash cams have stopped reporting extreme cases to the police.

Its strange though, as the police when interviewed by the media, request security and dash cam footage of accident or crime scenes.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely raging & shaken following an incident last week & wonder whether a Dashcam would have helped me get the idiot banned.

I can't remember the last journey I made where I didn't see some moron Texting or driving like a psychopath. Last week I could have been killed. I've had enough.

So do any of you ever submit footage of reckless driving to the Police? Do they do anything about it???

Also, I remember years ago when I got a GPS, returning to my car to find it gone & a car full of glass... Do Dashcams attract theft?

Thanks
Yes they do act on evidence sent in, if it warrants attention. I've sent in video clips twice to North Yorkshire Police and they have asked me to fill in a formal evidence form. Not heard anything since, but I don't expect to since they deal with everything.

If its bad enough i would turn it in, i am about to submit another guy captured yesterday bypassing a que of cars on his motorcycle on the bicycle path, so thats 1 mark for driving on bicycle path & another mark for passing on the right. ( we have 3 marks here )
So yes bad enough things i think we should turn in, even if the police are strapped for manpower ASO, the latter we just have to remember come next election cuz not having enough police / good enough police are solely the responsibility of politicians.
Failing to do so = letting evil powers win.
But the majority of idiots in traffic i just put on youtube, but some times you do need to put your foot down and say "O hell no"

BTW that biker, there was penty of room on the left side to sneak past all us cars in the que, so really his stunt was just a big old FU in my eyes, and you dont just FU me like that.

Nope, but the law is different and that sort of system is not possible under the law here.

Nope, but the law is different and that sort of system is not possible under the law here.
Laws can be changed, but I suspect a change wouldn't have the support of the Spanish people, whereas here it does seem to have a lot of support from the public, with the exception of certain groups such as motorcyclists who regularly break the laws of the road!

Back