Do we need to let drivers / passengers know audio is recording?

vbx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's saywe drop off a car at the dealership, do we need to disable audio recording or let them know audio is being recorded with a dash cam?

Let's saywe drop off a car at the dealership, do we need to disable audio recording or let them know audio is being recorded with a dash cam?
Depends on each individual country / state law.
Just in case you better have some "warning, audio is recorded" sticker in your car.

Or just temporarily disable audio recording when you hand your car over.

Audio and video could both be a problem since the service is being done on private property. US law says video recording is legal in public because people in public have no expectation of privacy - audio recording varies from state to state as to who has to consent.

Dealership is private property so audio recording I'm pretty sure would be considered as eavesdropping in all states and I'm guessing that video recording would be considered invasion of privacy at a minimum if someone were to press the issue.

Edit: That said when either of our vehicles go in for service both audio and video are recorded - that's how I know the service techs do not like the write-up people.

California V C Section 26708 Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver x2019 s "View"

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

(13) (A) A video event recorder with the capability of monitoring driver performance to improve driver safety, which may be mounted in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, or in a five-inch square mounted to the center uppermost portion of the interior of the windshield. As used in this section, "video event recorder" means a video recorder that continuously records in a digital loop, recording audio, video, and G-force levels, but saves video only when triggered by an unusual motion or crash or when operated by the driver to monitor driver performance.

(B) A vehicle equipped with a video event recorder shall have a notice posted in a visible location which states that a passenger's conversation may be recorded.

Its definitely by state. I live on the banks of the Mississippi, illinois/iowa border (live Illinois side).

If im on the Iowa side, its a one party verification state. Means I dont have to post or notify recording video or audio while im present or on/in my property. Only time I cannot record is on govt property like court house, city agency buildings etc. Commercial property is only with permission except to catch a crime where no "intellectual property" is compromised.

Illinois is a 2 party verification. So have to notify except inside my home. Dash cameras are an exception. But cannot be a "discrete" set up. But a clearly visible action camera is permitted. Audio is not without permission (assumed permission excluded) Not admissible beyond if it sees what other vehicle does causing the accident.

Street Guardian includes warning stickers in every box.
413d3c9ec80cd2f3afb488885f9d6cea.jpg

Reactions: vbx
I gave an elderly man a ride home several months ago (his car had broken down) and as soon as he climbed into my car I told him that he would be recorded. He didn't mind.
I saved the approximately 30 minutes of footage/audio as potential evidence that I hadn't done anything nasty to him while in my car, and that I had dropped him off exactly as requested.

Hmm, Blackvue needs to include some stickers!

Just made these. Who's interested?
6z1pqg.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, Blackvue needs to include some stickers!
I tweeted them and they said they're looking into it.

Back