Do we really need 60P on a dash cam?

Do you want a 60P Dash Cam?

• Total voters
Honestly, when you consider what could be done 10 years ago, it's amazing what we can do today.
Yep ain't that the truth. I guess I should be amazed at dashcam footage given especially what we see every day on HDTV, where sports programs broadcast live, whether 720p or 1080i, and which do so at, what, 19Mbps or thereabouts, are filled with blocks and pixelation. Whether the degradation happens at the source or in the transmission process it's being done with state-of-the-art equipment so our little dash cams are pretty good aren't they, particularly given the varied lighting conditions vs. a controlled TV broadcast event.

Anyway I look for a dashcam that can be used not only for recording mishaps, but also saving some scenic footage for posterity, hence my quest for "the best".

I appreciate the insights here at dashcamtalk for sure.

We might want to consider that state laws and insurance companies varies on their policies and not everyone lives in Michigan and has your insurance company. I know there are several states that require front plates and allow liability only insurance. Some people choose to save money, which can be significant, by only having liability insurance. In that case, depending on the vehicle types and impact areas, it may be possible for your smaller vehicle to sustain irreparable damage, while the other vehicle is able to drive away from the scene. Think big truck with brush guard vs small car/CUV. You would be stuck with a totaled vehicle and your insurance won't do a thing, unless you have some evidence that allows them to track down the culprit. You might not even able to cover the hospital bill for any injuries depending on your personal healthcare insurance, so there is a good reason to have the capability of capturing clear identifying information of other vehicles, persons or objects regardless of their relative direction.

There are also many examples of intentionally thrown objects, kids and balls / bottles or debris ejected from oncoming vehicles, like Gibson's example, where it would cost you to repair the damage if the other party can't be identified. Keep in mind that the head lights and windshields of many modern vehicles are often hundreds or even thousands of dollars to replace. Even something as simple as snow flying off the top of a semi truck just as you merge could cause an incident which could result in costing you money where it could've easily and rightly have been the other person's responsibility.

KuoH

"I never could understand the interest/obsession of capturing the plate number of an oncoming vehicle."

As I said I've never had need of that information nor have I seen an example of where it would have been of value, your examples included.

Last edited:
Yep... That windshield (2008 Toyota sienna van) cost me $500.
And yet even if you had been able to identify the truck plate, company, driver, driver's wife, and mother-in-law you likely would not have been able to collect because you would still have had the burden of proof that there was fault and it was not just a matter of the truck tire kicking up a rock from the road.

I agree there are hypothetical circumstances where having the plate number of an oncoming vehicle could be useful but 1) in 50+ years of driving I have not experienced such an event and 2) I have not seen a single documented instance of one. In my mind there is certainly not enough 'need' for the capability to warrant the obsession with having it.

Over and out.

There's a lot of things we don't need in life, but sure as hell want them! :)

I would be shocked if they didn't take advantage of the extra compression possible with 60P. That would have to be one lazy %^&%& programmer. :D

I just looked at some clips of the same moments, recorded by two Cobra 840E, with one set to 1080p30 and the other at 720p60.

1080p30 = 14mb/s (1.8MB/s)

720p60 = 8mb/s (1.0MB/s)

So a 32GB memory card would hold about 4.5 hours of 1080p30 and could hold about 8 hours of 720p60.

Other cams may be different.

Back