Do you carry backup SD card(s) in your car(s)?

cyberspace

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Why or why not?
I currently don't but I'm thinking about it.

yes, but not because I'm concerned about failure, just I generally have multiple cards anyway (5 cameras currently), for regular use it can be worthwhile to have a spare card on hand though

I carry these with me all the time as I do reviews... Not all the cards are here as most of them are other cameras now. Smaller capacity cards are mostly used for flashing firmware.

20180710_161325.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old 16GB card kept in the car as a spare, if it wasn't in the car then it would never get used.
  • If there was some accident footage that I wanted to keep secure and safe from being overwritten then I would put the spare in the dashcam.
  • More often it gets used when I've taken a card into the house and forgotten to return it to the camera.
  • Sometimes it gets used if the card in an action camera has filled up, much easier to swap cards than to delete what wasn't needed while in the car.
  • It used to get used occasionally when a card needed formatting, but none of my current cameras ever corrupt their cards format.
  • It might get used if I wanted to download some footage from a wifi dashcam and put it on the card to give to someone.

I do. Reason being if something truly important/significant/critical/interesting/etc. happens I can swap cards to insure that the event doesn't somehow get lost/overwritten. Hasn't happened yet.

I want to start having a spare in the car, not least when i have a card put of the car to take something from it then i often forget it.
Not that it matter a whole lot as its often front cameras, and as a addict / tester i have 4 cameras on my windscreen, my side cameras do worry me a little, i have the option to put a card from a front camera in one of those in a pinch, but problem is remembering how to format the card in the mobius and Innovv C3 using the camera buttons.

I do have a micro SD --> SD adapter as that open up for playback on my head unit,,,,,,, why i dont know i cant think of a reason to ever need playback out and about.

I have an old 16GB card kept in the car as a spare, if it wasn't in the car then it would never get used.

• More often it gets used when I've taken a card into the house and forgotten to return it to the camera.
I carry a Micro SD, adapter, and USB card reader in the car.
Really cheap low capacity cards when you want to give away photos or videos like at a birthday party.
I am forever forgetting the memory card when going outside with any of my digital cameras.
Considering sewing a pouch on my forehead for a spare card :)

Things have a habit of getting lost, corrupted etc so I always carry a couple of spares in my car just in case. Never know when you might need to secure something important.

I have one spare card in its full size sd adapter that I keep in my car. In case I find an event I want to save I can swap cards.
I am not sure if I will have an extra card when I get more dashcams.
I probably will as $15 is not much to spend as an emergency backup item.

I keep a spare one on me in case there's an incident with one of the trucks, I can do a quick card swap and they can be back on the road straight away whilst I go as review the footage.

Yes my VW Golf has SD card holders in the glove compartment

I carry these with me all the time as I do reviews... Not all the cards are here as most of them are other cameras now. Smaller capacity cards are mostly used for flashing firmware.

View attachment 39866
those pouches look compact & nice. Any product link?

When I only had just got into having a dashcam, no, I didn't because I only bought one 128gb card. But now that I've been through a few various dashcams and bought a 256gb card for my A129 and ended up with 3 various 128gb cards, the latest one being one of the new Samsung High Endurance cards, I leave the older 2 128gb cards in each vehicle as a 'just in case' back up card. Luckily, I've never had a card issue but it's good to know its there I guess instead of just sitting unused in the house.

I also keep adapters in each vehicle to go from MicroSD to SD as well as SD to USB now. When I got hit while parked this past December I was on vacation and didn't have a quick/easy way to view the video on a computer because all I had was the card in the camera. Live and learn...

One advantage of replacing a factory 1.5 din radio with an after-market 1 din radio is the adapter plate has a small cubbyhole in it. That cubbyhole is to small to do much with. I keep an extra fuse and micro-sd card to sd adapters in it. There is just enough room for my fingers to get the (well hidden) micro-sd cards in and out.

0712181328a.jpg

I have a 6 page SD card binder which allows two adapters per page place an insert at the front for more SD cards, or business cards.

20180716_220935-1.jpg
I have three 16 gb spares right now. Its three because I have stopped using one of my cameras, where I was in a habit of changing cards on a daily basis. I suspect one of these 16 gb cards is corrupt and should be tossed. I purchased this binder no so much to keep spares for all my cameras but to allow me to transport sd cards from my car to my computer to my home or work. One of my cameras is running from the battery so I would exchange the SD cards in this case.

I could theoretically have a page per camera (I will have 4 in a week) with a spare for each camera. As I have started to use battery packs and would like my cameras to always provide surveillance, that may happen.

Generally, my commute or travels are never any more than three hours so if I did encounter an accident or something of interest, there is little chance it would be written over. As such, I never really invested in having large capacity SD cards for my high resolution cameras.

I do wish I had an extra 64 gb .

I took an extended weekend trip to Ottawa on the weekend before last.

On my final day, I inadvertently crossed the Ottawa river when making a trip to get gas. Made a wrong turn and found myself on one of the bridges to Quebec. The scenery crossing the bridge was absolutely beautiful, like a post card, not a cloud in the sky ... blue skies, with the houses of parliament and boats in the river. I never pressed the "event button" but wish I did. I left my battery pack running for 45 minutes while waiting for my family to pack and decide on the final day plans. I pulled the plug on the pack to ensure i got footage crossing the bridge. Its a four hour trip back to Toronto and I thought I had enough storage on the 64 to retain the shots crossing the Ottawa River.

We then encountered two traffic accidents our way back, one which had us move about 100 feet in a hour. What should have been a little over a 4 hour trip home was a well close to 6 hours and we also drove around Ottawa briefly before heading back. The earliest footage on the camera for that day that was still on the SD card was about 20 minutes in the parking garage at the hotel.

If I didn't use my battery pack while my SUV was parked at the hotel, I would have the footage of the myself crossing Ottawa river.

If I had a 64 gb spare, I would have footage of the Ottawa river.

If I knew I was going to encounter two bad accidents and delays for the trip home ..... (you get the picture)

Last edited:
I keep two spare in my car, The Jeep only has one spare since it gets driven once a week. Having a backup to install after an accident is one reason. The other is I remove my cards to recover footage for my lame youtube channel. Right now the Jeep has my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH with a 128gb card, it will hold at least 30 hours of video. The Sonata has a Thinkware F770 with a 64gb card, it will hold just over 3 hours. Both vehicles I just keep them in the center console.
sdcards.jpg

If I didn't use my battery pack while my SUV was parked at the hotel, I would have the footage of the myself crossing Ottawa river.

If I had a 64 gb spare, I would have footage of the Ottawa river.

If I knew I was going to encounter two bad accidents and delays for the trip home ..... (you get the picture)
It's exactly this type of scenario why I'm a believer in 'excess capacity/capability' whenever possible. If you have it and don't need it, no problem - if you don't have it and need it, problem.

Nobody really needs any type of insurance until they 'need' it.

New cars without a spare tire are a pet peeve. When I bring it up salesmen will always ask 'When was the last time you had a flat?'. They have no answer when I ask them 'How would you like having a cut in the sidewall in a rural area with no cell service?'. Generally ends the conversation.

I keep a spare for the reasons already mentioned, security of the captured video. I have had to remove the card to review. I then used the backup to record new video whilst driving to the cops to show them the offending footage (posted here in Videos recorded by you). I also have an OTG device (reverse USB) so the card can be viewed on my smartphone.

Back