Do you have a Dash Cam that has NEVER had SD Card problems?

mlang66235

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have a dash cam that has never had SD card issues, I would like to hear about it.

Please list the dash cam you're using and the kind of SD card that's in it.

I'm having bad luck with purchasing dash cams. It seems like they never work with my SD cards. I've spent a small fortune on real (not fake Ebay) Class 10 SanDisk cards and they always give me buffering problems. My camera will work for 1 or 2 weeks and then it will start to show that it's busy all the time with trying to write to the card. I have tried two different dash cam manufacturers ( Ausdom A261 & a Vantrue R1 Pro ) and used Class 10 SanDisk cards in them and both cameras gave me card problems.

I have formatted the cards on my PC using the FAT 32 system and then formatted them again inside the camera. I have also turned off every unnecessary feature in my dash cam except for 5 minute looping.

Thanks.

SanDisk SD cards are best avoided for dash cam use. For one thing SanDisk will no longer honor their warranty if you use their cards in dash cams; and for good reason. Good candidates are Transcend, Kingston, PNY, Samsung and a few others.

SanDisk SD cards are best avoided for dash cam use. For one thing SanDisk will no longer honor their warranty if you use their cards in dash cams; and for good reason. Good candidates are Transcend, Kingston, PNY, Samsung and a few others.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

I find that in the US, Amazon is hands down the best place to buy memory cards. They usually have them at the best prices and if you look for "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" in the offer, you can have confidence that the cards are authentic. Keep an eye on the constantly changing prices on these cards and you can often find amazing deals on them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=MicroSDHC+Class10

I've used PNY, Kingston, and even Sandisk with no problem...all 128gb. I love my Lukas 7900 ace and haven't had any issues with it....had two for about 7 months. As long as it's a class 10 or uhs-1 you should be fine.

SanDisk can be fine. I own a couple of them that I purchased before I knew better. I've had one fail so far. The problem is the controller they use on the card can cause them to fail prematurely and unexpectedly when compared with other brands when shooting video for extended periods of time.

Here is the relevant paragraph from SanDisk's warranty statement in regard to dash cams.

This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras, (v) display devices that loop video, (vi) continuous recording set top box devices, (vii) continuous data logging devices like servers, or (viii) other excessive uses that exceed normal use in accordance with published instructions.

You're welcome!

I find that in the US, Amazon is hands down the best place to buy memory cards. They usually have them at the best prices and if you look for "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" in the offer, you can have confidence that the cards are authentic. Keep an eye on the constantly changing prices on these cards and you can often find amazing deals on them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=MicroSDHC+Class10

I think I'll get a Transcend SD Card and pay attention to the "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

Here is the relevant paragraph from SanDisk's warranty statement in regard to dash cams.

This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras, (v) display devices that loop video, (vi) continuous recording set top box devices, (vii) continuous data logging devices like servers, or (viii) other excessive uses that exceed normal use in accordance with published instructions.

Interesting!

Yes, Mine is mobius with newest firmware. I have a plenty of low speed sd cards which can't install on any other dashcams. But they are all good on mobius.

Had a SanDisk Extreme 32GB in an Itronics ITB-100HD for 3 years. No problems so far and it gets really hot in GA during the summer. When I pull out the card sometimes it is really hot that you can't even hold it in your hand. The only "problem" is a bubble of air under the card sticker due to heat.

Hmmm, starting to see that Mobius is reliable.

Had a SanDisk Extreme 32GB in an Itronics ITB-100HD for 3 years. No problems so far and it gets really hot in GA during the summer. When I pull out the card sometimes it is really hot that you can't even hold it in your hand. The only "problem" is a bubble of air under the card sticker due to heat.

Yeah, I can imagine how hot GA gets, plus the humidity there.

Some SanDisk cards perform perfectly for long periods of time in challenging conditions and some of the same SanDisk cards will suddenly fail unexpectedly. That is the problem.

The SanDisk cards I still own have been fine even after extended use but I won't use them anymore in mission critical applications where I might lose important footage.

Yeah, the Mobius cams have been the most consistently reliable cameras I've owned to date.

The Red Grey SanDisk cards have a proprietary controller that can trip up into read-only mode over a period of time in DashCam products.

My favorite is Transcend which has had the best reliability history for our customers so far. We used to use Kingston but they didn't have a good track record for us so we switched to Transcend.

I have 2 Mobius cams. One is 2 years 7 months told, the other is 2 years old. Currently using 32GB Kingston Class 4 cards. Have also tried Lexar, Samsung, SanDisk & unbranded cards. No problems.

Also have a 64GB Lexar Class 10 in my SGZC12RC since last July. No problems.

I had Kingston cards fail more than i like in a range of dashcams, so now i steer clear of those. ( SDXC class 10 / U1 )

Then again i allso had a brand new lexar card fail on me bofore i got to fill it with the 64 Gb it could hold, but it was replaced in no time, same was my kingston cards, but when i had the same card fail 3 times i have not bothered with getting it replaced again.

Still have a 64Gb kingston U3 card in my SG9665GC, and it have performed perfect, but i am around the 4-5-6 month time frame where other simmilar but U1 cards have failed.

I really do hope dashcameras will move avay from SD cards soon, maybe start to support a external HDD on a USB port in the camera.

PS. Only record when i drive and i drive little, if i could afford it i would drive 3 - 4 X more.

The Red Grey SanDisk cards have a proprietary controller that can trip up into read-only mode over a period of time in DashCam products.

The Red Grey SanDisks have been failing me so I recently bought a "High Endurance" SanDisk card that is supposed to be made just for dash cams and surveillance cams. I have a feeling it will disappoint as well.

Back