Do you have GPS on or off on your camera

wallstreet123456

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering what others do. I currently have this setting turned on but was worried and thinking maybe I should turn it off. My concern is that I have a tendency to go above the speed limit, nothing crazy but maybe at most 10 mph over which I am sure others do to. If there was an issue and my front cam(only one I have) caught someone hitting me or something that was their fault and I provide the camera footage wouldn't their attorney use my speed and camera footage against me?

Thanks in advance.
Steven

If it's important your speed can be determined from the content of the video with or without GPS.

Indeed if you are worried about speed, you have 2 choices to deal with it.

1: dont record video, as DT MI say speed can be determined from the video ( distance you can go measure together with the time it took you to cover that distance )
2: slow down

I too some times crawl up over the limit, it dont worry me as i slow down when i notice it, and i doubt any cops will ever notice a dashcam places in the right place,,, okay maybe in my car but i also have 4 of them on my windscreen alone.
But for non testers / addicts a single discrete camera should not be noticed by anyone.

I always have always will use GPS speed embedded in the video.

Of my many cams, I might have one secondary cam doing GPS but I see no need for it so it's usually off. Time vs Distance can show your speed, but unless it's really important not many are going to go through the trouble and risk of making exact verifiable measurements by a road side. But if your GPS says you were speeding, then they will definitely use that against you o_O I don't know about anyone else, but when something's risks outweigh it's real benefits then I want nothing to do with it. My vids will show my speed relative to other traffic, where I was, and what I did as well as what the people around me did, and that's all I need :cool:

Phil

If I speed at all, it's usually no more than 5 mph over whatever the limit is. I'd like to see them prove my $80 dashcam with a $3 gps module is accurate enough to charge me with speeding.
I don't mind the speed being displayed on the video from my A119.
It shows i'm not speeding, or much, and I am slowing to accomodate the idiots in cars who will claim 'that big truck ran me off the road and wouldn't let me merge!!!!!!'
:)
If you are that worried about cops looking at your files and noticing you are a bad driver, there are two options.

Slow down, stop for stopsigns, don't tailgate,and so on.

OR:

Limit the size of your memory card. (and limit what they can potentially look at.)

Think most of you are missing my point but thanks.
To answer your question directly - Yes, anything entered into evidence, by either side, can be used by either party to further their case.

Along that line if you provide just a small segment of video it's possible the other side will insist on seeing everything leading up to the event as well which could mean the entire card.

Back