do you leave the cam in your vehicle when it is hot?

75Gremlin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Arizona and plan to leave it in the car, even in the summer. But I wonder if that is bad for the cam or the micro SD card.

thanks for your advice

Capacitor cams don't face much of a problem but it's not unheard of for the cam's casings to warp or even melt if left in direct sunlight for extensive periods of time

get some windows film.

I leave mine all day long, no worries until now.

Last time mine was going to cop direct sunlight on a warm Day ... I put a small towel over it that I keep in the Car to clean the windscreen. It has a mount and hangs down.
The rear is attached to the rear window ... so I drop a larger towel over it on the outside. I guess that wouldn't work too well on a windy day :whistle:

They get sizzling hot in the Sun ... so I don't want to take the chance that electronic components in Dash Cams can take that sort of heat without risking damage.
Better to play it safe n all that. Front has a lithium battery, rear has a Capacitor

Last edited:
I do leave it in the vehicle. Sometimes I will un-mount it and secure it out of sunlight if parked all day in the Hot Summer Texas Sun!

Reactions: Mtz
Hi Guys,

If I put the sunshade behind the windshield, the dashcam will be stayed between the glass and the sunshade. I believe the dashcam maybe oveheat and damaged the SD card inside.

Do you need to remove the dashcam everytime if you decide to put the sunshade on?

I cannot put the sunshade in front of the dashcam because the dashcam mount is blocking the sunshade extend to the top of the windshield.

Please advise, thanks.

Does the cam you are using have a battery or capacitor? If battery, I'd remove the camera on hot summer days. My cams have had capacitors and even during long trips to Florida in August, I never had a problem leaving the cam in the window.

Also, if you decide to leave it in the window I guess you could remove the memory card if you want to try and save the card the extra heat.

Honestly, you don't have many choices. Either remove the cam to use the sunshade or take the chance and just put the shade up with the cam still stuck to the window. If the shade is cheap enough and the cam is mounted where the edge of the shade is, maybe just cut a notch in the shade to fit around the cam.

A119 GPS is the best camera recarding fast unmounting from windhshield. When you park the car directly to the sun for more than 2 hours you should take out the camera from the windshield.

enjoy,
Mtz

Not OK for any dashcam to leave it for days under direct sun.

enjoy,
Mtz

Had a G1Wc melt/warp and fall apart in hot Georgia sun. A118c has survived 2 years of summers. I park the car, facing East, so the afternoon sun does not directly hit my front windshield. I have a new A119v2 with GPS in a new car will see how it holds up.

I left my previous Aukey DR01 (capacitor camera) on the windshield all the time as it was powered by the blackvue b112 external battery pack to provide constant recording even while parked. It never failed me even during hot humid NY summers and a 15 day trip to Orlando Florida in August.

Hoping the A119 V2 is as robust.

Does the cam you are using have a battery or capacitor? If battery, I'd remove the camera on hot summer days. My cams have had capacitors and even during long trips to Florida in August, I never had a problem leaving the cam in the window.

Also, if you decide to leave it in the window I guess you could remove the memory card if you want to try and save the card the extra heat.

Honestly, you don't have many choices. Either remove the cam to use the sunshade or take the chance and just put the shade up with the cam still stuck to the window. If the shade is cheap enough and the cam is mounted where the edge of the shade is, maybe just cut a notch in the shade to fit around the cam.

It is in A119. I think, it is much easier for me to remove the dashcam and leave the gps mount on the windshield.

The sunshade that I am using is quite expensive, so I cannot afford to cut a hole in there (LOL).

If I keep removing the dashcam everyday (summer season), will the quick connector between the dashcam and the gps mount easily wear and become loose?

Yeah, the A119 has a capacitor and not a battery so that’s good. That’s a good question and one I had asked myself, would the constant putting the cam on and off become a problem where the cam makes contact with the gps module.

I can only speak for myself but I’d leave the camera on and take the chance, but I’m only speaking for what I’d do. For one, I want the cam recording while I’m case someone hits me (see my thread where someone hit me while parked on Christmas Day) so I wouldn’t want to remove it. And secondly, when a good sale is on the cam can be had for under $70. If there is a chance of breaking something just removing it all the time I’d take the chance of just leaving it in the window all the time. And lastly, I had no issue with a previous cam that had capacitors and it was a $47 camera.

If I have an underground parking at work, I think I do not have to worry about this.

I park facing face east to avoid direct afternoon Georgia sun. Thinking of using snow external shade, looking for silver or light color one not black. Sun melted a G!Wc but has not hurt 2 year old A118c. A119v2 w/GPS in new car, hoping no probs.

Creating an amplified green house effect windshield oven can cook any electronics. (battery or no battery)

I'm sure there is a greater chance of exceeding the maximum storage temperature of any dashcam (and or memory card) with a reflective sun shade focusing the sun's heat and energy all around the dashcam.

Creating an amplified green house effect windshield oven can cook any electronics. (battery or no battery)

I'm sure there is a greater chance of exceeding the maximum storage temperature of any dashcam (and or memory card) with a reflective sun shade focusing the sun's heat and energy all around the dashcam.

What would you suggest? My gps mount already taped to the windshield glass. I have to unclip the dashcam each time if I decided to put on the sunshade. Another alternate solution is placing the external type sunshade outside the windshield.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V A119 3
Back