Do you need fuse tap AND inline fuse when hardwiring?

zell529

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys!
When hardwiring the dashcam to the car, if I decide to use a fuse tap, do I need an inline fuse?

Also, if I'm going to splice a kit (it has an inline fuse) to a power wire/source in the car, it should be fine right?

I have a 12,000 mah and smaller power banks

A lot of kits these days have a splice kit/plug that can plug directly into a fuse box

I have a 12,000 mah and smaller power banks

A lot of kits these days have a splice kit/plug that can plug directly into a fuse box
Mmmm the kits I've looked at have the usb and then it goes to a 12v to 5v step down and then some have an inline fuse after that but not all. Which is why I was asking in my original post. o.o

1) Do we need an inline fuse if we are using a fuse tap?
2) If its okay if we decide to splice the power cable wire from the kit to a power source wire from the car all while having an inline fuse?

1) Do we need an inline fuse if we are using a fuse tap?
2) If its okay if we decide to splice the power cable wire from the kit to a power source wire from the car all while having an inline fuse?

1) No.

2) yes.. splicing into an existing wire means at that point you have the protection of the fuse that supplies that wire. Generally that will be a higher value than you need or for the gauge of wire you are using to power the camera. The inline fuse will be sized to suit the gauge (of the wire) and power demands of the camera.

Back