Do you prefer windshield mounted OR on dash?

On the one hand, I just want something basic that I will plug into the Cig lighter.

On the other hand, I don't want crap quality video that looks like it's from 2006 YouTube.
I will spend more than the $50 entry level, but I really want to recognize the value.

I prefer not to spend $300 unless there is nothing in between top end and 2006 quality $50 junk.

The samples I am seeing for the $50 cameras look pretty crappy.
Yet, they are labelled as "1080p" I never saw 1080p look like such crap.

I'll spend more, but not more than I have to.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Do you prefer windshield mounted OR on dash?...
General consensus is high mounted cameras give a much better view of what going on versus being mounted low.

As to which one to get you need to evaluate your needs (features, design, screen/no screen, etc.). It's a process of elimination. Once you get a 'short list' of cameras that meet your requirements research to determine which ones are the most reliable and have decent support.

Ok, if high mounted is much better, then I will go with high mounted glass mount.

Can you take a look at my revised post #2 ?

...Can you take a look at my revised post #2 ?
Start here and let your needs/requirements guide you - https://dashcamtalk.com/

Most reviews on DCT are reasonably accurate. That said many members have their preferences based on their needs/requirements.

You know, I've changed my mind.
I just want a good one.
I'll pay whatever it costs.

Let's start over.
What spec do I need to get crystal clear video in daylight?
1080p is meaningless, or pirated, since I see potato cam quality from 1080p examples.

1) High mounted (Cig lighter)
2) Clear video
3) Should I get screen?
3) Bonus: Can be used as action cam. (Not Mobius, mine broke in 2 weeks, never again)

A good lens + good 1080P sensor can have amazing quality when done right. A119S is 1080P and has very good quality video. The Sony IMX291 sensor is fantastic day and night.

I can't imagine using a dashcam without a screen in my own vehicle, a bit annoying to aim or check settings etc with no screen.

I wouldn't try to combine an action cam and dashcam. You don't want a big battery sitting in the hot sun.

Just to clarify, a 1080p camera can produce junk quality video, right?

Actually, I just went back and saw this. This quality is crystal clear, and is perfect for me.
If I get this for $50, I don't see why I should go higher, right?

Just to clarify, a 1080p camera can produce junk quality video, right?

Actually, I just went back and saw this. This quality is crystal clear, and is perfect for me.
If I get this for $50, I don't see why I should go higher, right?

if you spend a little more you can get the G1W-S, same camera but Sony image sensor which will outperform this version in low light situations, still a budget product but worth the bit extra

This example seems to dark. Can you adjust the brightness?

I see a bunch of G1W variants.
What's the difference between G1W-HC and CB ?
I think I'll just get the G1W-S. Same price $60

This example seems to dark. Can you adjust the brightness?

a few things worth mentioning, YouTube isn't great for doing any kind of subjective analysis, all videos on YouTube are re-encoded and compressed, also the G1W is a generic product, there are many that look identical externally that are a lot different internally, even if you buy one that is the same as someone else has bought it can still vary as to what is used inside, this stuff changes often, the G1W-S currently only has one type and is a better bet for support and consistency

Dont choose in a hurry, take your time, watch some reviews here on DCT, read some threads, comparison videos between two or three dashcams. Find among threads here on DCT raw, uncompressed, un-edited videos from Google drive or Vimeo. Ask anything if you have any doubts. One thing is for sure most of the members here will praise dashcams they own/owned or using/used but choice is yours and decision is up to you, so again dont rush into anything and choose wisely. Welcome and good luck.

I don't want to waste time down the rabbit hole.
I am just going to buy the G1W-S for $60.
Seems like it works, and is fairly common.
GOOD ENOUGH.

(Not Mobius, mine broke in 2 weeks, never again)
Interesting. I have 3, 2 in my car & 1 in my bus at work. All capacitor.
The one in the bus runs over 9 hrs a day, mostly 5 days a week (sometimes more) and is about 4yrs old (bought when Techmoan reviewed them on his YT channel). It's been dropped a couple of times & yet still hasn't let me down.
I always thought the RC community loved them for their reliability & solid build.

I've had both and a good G1W-C gives far better daytime vids than the G1W-S. The problem today with the G1W-C is getting a good one and even the known good ones aren't as good as they could be, while the rest go from barely decent then rapidly to mostly crap. Don't get me wrong- I like the G1W-S a lot for it's far better night vids and high build quality but it is not good daytime, only OK or acceptable at best. It will never compare to any of the A119 series cams in daytime and if your G1W-C looks equal to it, then you've got a bad G1W-C. The G1W-CH is essentially a cheapened G1W-C made to a lower price point, yet both of mine still outperform the G1W-S in the daytime and they're both a year old now.

I recommend the G1W-S as a good value and the cheapest good night-time cam, but I always point out the trade-off in daytime vid quality.
I recommend the G1W-HC as a bargain-priced value which is equal to the average G1W-CB you get these days.
I no longer recommend the G1W-C (and -CB variant) as it has become too much of a gamble. Staying ONLY with recommended sellers and it becomes a "maybe".
I no longer recommend the G1W-H as the quality has become too variable and the -CH with caps is better suited for dashcam use.

AFAIK none of the other G1W series cams is even worth wasting words longer than "NO!" on anymore. Sometimes someone gets a good one but not often.

Phil, the last existing G1W series fanboy :cool:

The G1W-CH is essentially a cheapened G1W-C made to a lower price point, yet both of mine still outperform the G1W-S in the daytime and they're both a year old now.

problem is it's a challenge to find a G1W-x that currently performs as well as one from a year ago, so many are only about price and are in a constant state of decline as far as build quality and components

You're right Jokin, and that is why I place much of the weight of my recommendations and thoughts on my own personal experience balanced against what other's report so I'll know if I'm an anomaly :cool:

My biggest G1W series recommendation problem is with the -HC; Almost nobody else whom I deem reliable seems to have tried it :oops: And more's the pity if mine are not anomalies because mine very nearly equal or better any cam costing twice as much :D And I know of no other cam at any price which can honestly do that. Maybe I'll gift one or two this Christmas to see if these have fallen in quality. I sure hope they are still as good as a year ago, because that was amazingly good considering the price.

Phil

So, I just installed my $55 Viofo G1W-S today.

I installed it onto my rear view mirror stalk.
There is some rattling noise, but oh well.

I love how it powers on/off and auto REC's (set it and forget it.)
I hope it keeps working.

I am tempted to raise the EV and blow out the blue sky.
Is that a common practice?

It seems to be fine for what I need it for.
(police evidence, not HQ movie making)
Thanks for the input. Really glad I got this done!

Last edited:
Back