Do you recommend a Power Magic Pro for this condition?

MANswers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I am in the process of obtaining and getting two Mobius dash cam's installed in my wife's car for both the front and rear view.
Usually she works from home two or three days a week, and during these days the car is usually sitting in the closed and secure garage with very less runtime during the evenings driving to very near by locations.
I was wondering if enabling Parking mode makes sense for a car that sits in the garage for about 2-3 days (and sometimes on saturdays) in the week.
The idea behind asking this question to install PMP for parking mode is, due to the fact that every once in a while the car is driven and parked around downtown, and in tight parking conditions, parking mode would help then. But then i am thinking if there is a switch that can be turned on and off as an when the parking mode is required, but there is a negative side to it as well, if she forgets to turn off the parking mode switch, it would kill the battery. Or do you even think a Parking Mode is necessary in my condition.

The Pro model can be switched off manually, but it also has a voltage checker built in that you can preset. So when it detects the battery at the desired level it will automatically switch off to protect you from having a flat battery. The voltage levels are listed in the small manual with the product and can be configured for 4 different voltage levels.

There is also a timer function that will shut it off after X hours after the camera enters parking mode.

The Pro model can be switched off manually, but it also has a voltage checker built in that you can preset. So when it detects the battery at the desired level it will automatically switch off to protect you from having a flat battery. The voltage levels are listed in the small manual with the product and can be configured for 4 different voltage levels.

There is also a timer function that will shut it off after X hours after the camera enters parking mode.

Thanks, thats great that the PMP can switch itself off if forgotten to turn off the switch, thats what i wanted to know. As i was reading around that inspite of PMP or other similar products installed, the battery went dead.
Here on DashCamTalk, Lukas lk-290 is highly rated and not so much love for PMP. I believe there shouldnt be any difference, as the technology does just one thing, switch to turn on and off, and a cutover period after a stipulated period or voltage loss, and it should be flat out similar. right? So should a PMP be treated equal and i should go ahead and order it, as i can get it through amazon prime, whereas the lukas lk-290 is from korea, and might take weeks to arrive. (the drone i ordered from hongkong is still in transit since over one month) :(
Will this work for Mobius dash cam's as well, or does it just work for BlackVue?

I hear good and bad stories installing PMP, but never any detail as to how the units were installed in a bad review.

Personally I had no bad experience fitting the PMP. I armed myself with a multimeter and took all the required measurements to find the right fuses to tap. If you are electronically minded this is a simple install. If not then just watch some of the YouTube clips for installing a PMP.

I guess I also never had trouble as the car I installed to is brand new and so the battery is in pristine condition. The bad stories mostly mention older vehicles and chances are the batteries could have been well used.

Back to the PMP, it was designed by Pittasoft, the same company who produce Blackvue. The box itself is simply a timed switch and also battery protection circuit. It has the 12v socket for your devices, it would imply it could work with other devices. I however would not recommend using it for anything beyond the manufacturers original recommendations.

Not certain how popular LUKAS are versus Blackvue, but you could also say that IF Blackvue were the more popular they would have a lot more feedback from users, good and bad alike. It is all very speculative as to which is the overall best solution as everyone has different opinions on what is best.

I hear good and bad stories installing PMP, but never any detail as to how the units were installed in a bad review.

Personally I had no bad experience fitting the PMP. I armed myself with a multimeter and took all the required measurements to find the right fuses to tap. If you are electronically minded this is a simple install. If not then just watch some of the YouTube clips for installing a PMP.

I guess I also never had trouble as the car I installed to is brand new and so the battery is in pristine condition. The bad stories mostly mention older vehicles and chances are the batteries could have been well used.

Back to the PMP, it was designed by Pittasoft, the same company who produce Blackvue. The box itself is simply a timed switch and also battery protection circuit. It has the 12v socket for your devices, it would imply it could work with other devices. I however would not recommend using it for anything beyond the manufacturers original recommendations.

Not certain how popular LUKAS are versus Blackvue, but you could also say that IF Blackvue were the more popular they would have a lot more feedback from users, good and bad alike. It is all very speculative as to which is the overall best solution as everyone has different opinions on what is best.

Cool that makes sense. I will be getting the dashcam installed via a Pro installer and if et all i get the PMP it will be done by him as well.
Looking at one of the youtube video, it was mentioned not to use any of the fuse to power the PMP, cos these days none of the newer cars remain on for more than 30 mins, instead wire it through the battery. Is it true?
I plan to install to have it installed on a 2012 Acura MDX.

do get it professionally installed, don't follow these videos though, very shonky workmanship

Thanks i will definately do that, but the problem here in the US is that a dash cam is not a very common gadget in the car, and a not of a lot of people have even heard about it, let alone various accessories to make it more productive. I can surely guarantee you that, even if i go to the best installer in chicago, he would not have heard about PMP module.

Hence i am asking these questions. If you say the video is not upto the mark, can you point me to a proper guide/video/tutorial or something?
Any help from the members will help me a lot with this setup.

any good car radio install shop can handle this easily, wrapping wires around fuses is as rough as it comes, if on the wrong side it isn't even fused

I get that sir, but i wanted to double confirm about connecting the PMP to the battery wires instead of the fuse, as the youtuber mentioned that the various fuse's in the car only provide power for 30 mins once car is parked.

THanks for helping again.

late model BMW's have a feature that will close down any circuit that is drawing power that shouldn't be, the broad statements he makes doesn't clarify why he says what he does

@jokiin , i was reading an older post of yours.. here..

just use one power magic pro with a double adapter if your installation allows, it will use less power

I wanted to know about this as well. I will be powering two cam's, how and what adapter should i get to connect two cams to the PMP to use less power.
Thank you again so much Sir, this is a lot of help from your side. I respect you for that.

@jokiin , i was reading an older post of yours.. here..

I wanted to know about this as well. I will be powering two cam's, how and what adapter should i get to connect two cams to the PMP to use less power.
Thank you again so much Sir, this is a lot of help from your side. I respect you for that.
the PMP has female cig plug socket, you just need a splitter, something like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181006975851

the PMP has female cig plug socket, you just need a splitter, something like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181006975851
Cool thank you so much again. Great suggesion. I was reading on this another thread and the user had posted this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000PB8CQILooks similar but looks heavy duty.

@jokiin, is there anything i should tell the installer when asking him to connect this adapter to the PMP and both the cams?
By the way, i am wondering, if the splitters adapter's male socket goes into PMP's female socket.. what goes into the splitters adapters two female sockets? The Mobius dash cam's USB cable does not have male cigerette male sockets :confused:

P.S. Dont hate me.. for asking so many questions. :oops:

Ok right, i understood, i forgot that i will be attaching the cigerette power adapter to the end of the usb cable. thanks thanks thanks.

Cool thank you so much again. Great suggesion. I was reading on this another thread and the user had posted this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000PB8CQILooks similar but looks heavy duty.

this will draw a load itself so not good to plug into the pmp

the type I suggested is just to split, you still need power supply but if you don't have that then buy a dual usb socket adapter like the Belkin or Scosche type and you won't need the splitter anyway, too easy, something like this http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/

this will draw a load itself so not good to plug into the pmp

the type I suggested is just to split, you still need power supply but if you don't have that then buy a dual usb socket adapter like the Belkin or Scosche type and you won't need the splitter anyway, too easy, something like this http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/

Damn sexy, thank you. Take a hug from me.

Just woke up from the bed, and bounced back to reply back here to thank you again on the thread.
I have the scosche usb socket adapter. I brought earlier this week for the mobius dash cam.
Good to know that i wont have to buy another one, nor do i have to buy a cigerette splitter adapter. The scosche should handle both the usb cables coming from both the dashcam's, this is good. life is good. Hope my installer doesnt mess it up. still looking for a good install video on youtube.
The wife surely thinks i am going crazy. Looks at me, shakes are head and rolls over... :D

Looking at the instructions doesn't the Power Magic Pro only do 11.8V and 12V cut off whereas the Lukas has higher options which are more use in winter?

My LK290 only took about ten days from Korea, wasn't too bad at all tbh. In fact can't you get them locally in the USA from Lukas USA?

That's a good one.
Now again @jokiin and Rev don't hate me for this question. But how can I figure out what's a good cutover volt for my car before the pmp cuts of the power from the battery. I read ppl having issues such as battery dying with 12v aswell. Is this something in the manual or I can also post questions on the cats community forum, what should I ask in that forum? The car I want this to be installed is on my wife's Acura MDX. It's an suv

Back