Do you think the A119 could be modified this way?

dirtymoney

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mounted my old A118 in my jeep like this...

dIozmsQ.jpg

And I wonder if the A119 could have a small piece of plastic cut out so that the lens-aiming mechanism can go lower? Like this...

xSeNCT4.jpg

...... and continue to click and stay in place?

Edit: I mistakenly posted a pic of the a119 vs the A119s (which I am getting). I assume they have the same moving ratcheting structure even though they have different lenses.

Last edited:
The pictures aren't showing. Open the housing and check for clearance, then mutilate.

Edit:

You could add a triangular wedge shaped filler between the mounting surface and the camera mount for the desired angle/tilt and spare the housing.

MY PICS wont show! WTF? I cannot even post links. What gives?????? Is imgur banned or something?

Imgur works fine on DCT as long as you enter the link to your images via the forum GUI.

Click the "Image" icon and it will launch a dialogue box where you can enter the Imgur image URL.

image.jpg

URL.jpg

My images won't hyperlink- gotta use the "picture" button like Dashmellow shows above. You may also want to resize them so phone users can see them better and to save a bit of site bandwith.

Phil

Imgur works fine on DCT as long as you enter the link to your images via the forum GUI.

Click the "Image" icon and it will launch a dialogue box where you can enter the Imgur image URL.

View attachment 29265

View attachment 29264

I did do it that way and all that showed was a pic icon and brackets and IMG inside them.

dIozmsQ

dIozmsQ

Try it! Upload a pic to imgur.com and then put the link to it in the spot like you posted.

I did do it that way and all that showed was a pic icon and brackets and IMG inside them.

dIozmsQ

dIozmsQ

Try it! Upload a pic to imgur.com and then put the link to it in the spot like you posted.

You have a bad link.

For the DashCamTalk forum I've always found that the "Direct Link" option works best. If you copy the link correctly and paste it into the dialogue box shown above it should work. Otherwise you have some other issue.

imgur.jpg

You have a bad link.

For the DashCamTalk forum I've always found that the "Direct Link" option works best. If you copy the link correctly and paste it into the dialogue box shown above it should work. Otherwise you have some other issue.

View attachment 29266

I post the only link it gives me. I do not have an imgur account.

trying the share link...

xSeNCT4

edit: the BBCcode link (forums) worked.

dIozmsQ.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with @harsh's suggestion to use a wedge on the camera mount to adjust for the desired angle. You can buy plastic wedges on Amazon and at most hardware stores that are designed for shimming wobbly furniture. They work great for this purpose and can be stacked to increase the angle. Secure them together using 3M VHB tape.

wedge.jpg

I agree with @harsh's suggestion to use a wedge on the camera mount to adjust for the desired angle. You can buy plastic wedges on Amazon and at most hardware stores that are designed for shimming wobbly furniture. They work great for this purpose and can be stacked to increase the angle. Secure them together using 3M VHB tape.

View attachment 29268

I've thought about it, but the camera is already low enough with the add-on gps part. I prefer it to be as discrete as possible. I even wish it came with a mounting pad that has the connections between the camera and the gps module and a cable so i could mount the gps module elsewhere. I want the camera to be as close to the jeep's trim piece as possible.

I don't see how a quarter of an inch or so will make much difference in the camera's stealthiness.

it's only plastic, what can be go wrong in here ? If i was you and i have proper tools, i will cut plastic.
it may become ugly from the front. But no-one will see it from front-side.
in this forums, there are many and more crazy ideal was made. So why not ? :D

it's only plastic, what can be go wrong in here ? If i was you and i have proper tools, i will cut plastic.
it may become ugly from the front. But no-one will see it from front-side.
in this forums, there are many and more crazy ideal was made. So why not ? :D
Cutting the camera housing will void warranty. Adding a wedge will not.

everything has it's cost. :)

I've thought about it, but the camera is already low enough with the add-on gps part. I prefer it to be as discrete as possible. I even wish it came with a mounting pad that has the connections between the camera and the gps module and a cable so i could mount the gps module elsewhere. I want the camera to be as close to the jeep's trim piece as possible.

if you're mounting it where you had the A118 then the GPS isn't going to get signal anyway so replacing the mount with a wedged version won't end up making it any lower overall, you'll need to extend wires to your GPS though for this type of setup

Back