Dod clone wont auto start

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DR750s x2 DR450 x2
Have this Dod clone which works but is supposed to auto start with ign.

It starts up and begins recording but straightaway goes to a menu with
MSC or MSG
CHARGE.
OPEN
By going to open and hitting record it starts to record . It will not auto record as it is supposed to.

Cant find anywhere in the menu to set it to do so or to loop record on the SD card.

Instructions say these two things should be enabled but cant find them.

Instructions bloody useless actually

Any advice appreciated

Doesn't sound fun not sure what to say on that one.
This might be one of those instances where saving a few dollars on a unsupported clone ends up wasting time, and time is money so all washes out in the end.
hopefully someone can help you figure it out. You'll need to provide more details/photos though.

Last edited:
It looks similar to this one except the top left button is record the one below it is mode and the r/hand ones are up and set

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291151271690
The box for it says Advanced Portable Car Camcorder It about a year old and did work properly previously. We have it hardwired into car and it works properly on it battery but as soon as it gets car power it plays up. Have tried two power cables and tried the ciggy socket as well but no different

It isnt mine I wouldnt have one for a wart on my ass but a friend has it.

I only use Blackvue cameras

Last edited:
it's a GS1000 knockoff, not a DOD knockoff, there's two types of USB cables used with these, if it has the wrong one it will think it's connected to a PC

it's a GS1000 knockoff, not a DOD knockoff, there's two types of USB cables used with these, if it has the wrong one it will think it's connected to a PC

You could be right as it does also comes up with a message USB connected if I press record.

Am only using a power cable which mostly are all the same ???????

The one that came with it has been damaged but I may disassemble it and try to fix it.

You could be right as it does also comes up with a message USB connected if I press record.

Am only using a power cable which mostly are all the same ???????

The one that came with it has been damaged but I may disassemble it and try to fix it.

some of them use a different pin configuration, try a regular USB cable connected to a USB power supply (power bank or AC adapter) if you have that available and see how it behaves then

Am using a USB power supply with the ciggy plug still on it
Hard wired a ciggy socket with an addafuse and it has played up so got another cable and plugged it into the CAR ciggy socket Still the same Only thing is I wired the addafuse into the ciggy circuit so will check it all in the morning. Will bring camera home and plug it into USB on my computer.

Could always just be a dud camera
Maybe but it worked when it was taken out of previous car hooked it up to computer and it says connected to USB so will fix the original ciggy cable

Got it sorted fixed the original cable and it works in my car so hopefully will in the mates car in the morning

Thanks for the help

Now have problems in that it wont segment record Using Class 10 card it does sort of segment record but it doesnt seem to like it much and leaves gaps in recordings so put a class 6 in and it will record constantly without a break until the card is full or journey ends,

Changed a " recycle" setting in the menu to 512mb and now it only records 30secs and stops and doesnt record any more till car is restarted..

The (crap) Manual says there is a cyclic recording setting but cant find it in the menu on the camera.
Presume this would allow recording in intervals like my Blackvues.

Am ready to bin it but it does record reasonably clearly so would like to get it to work properly.

Sure the video might be reasonably clear short term, but if you want something reliable you can count on to record long term, not sure it's worth the troubleshooting game/gamble. You can't expect to depend on a $35AUD/$25USD dashcam for very long.

Last edited:
Do you know if its an Ambarella or Novatek version?

No will look at the firmware version in the morning which may give a clue I guess It has the battery and a SD card icon in top right and Date etc bottom right It has a blue menu with two pages One has camera settings starting with language and another page for date etc. Get different pages by swapping the two header icons with the record button when in menu mode

Back