DOD F520LS any feedback/analog?

rufn

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for DVR with good video quality in the evening and in the night with g-sensor.
Review of tons info bring me to solution - DOD F520LS

I try to find any info what's inside and/or any analogs.
May be it is possible to find cheaper alternatives...

Any proposals for this device and agains it ???...

I saw several videos on youtube - looks good in the poor lighting...

rufn said:
Hi

I'm looking for DVR with good video quality in the evening and in the night with g-sensor.
Review of tons info bring me to solution - DOD F520LS

I try to find any info what's inside and/or any analogs.
May be it is possible to find cheaper alternatives...

Any proposals for this device and agains it ???...

I saw several videos on youtube - looks good in the poor lighting...

Hi rufn,

The DOD F520LS has been recently released and there are very few owner reviews of this camera yet. The videos on youtube are typically from Asian countries and are likely coming from the manufacturer. I like to see real user videos as opposed to the manufacturer videos. Manufacturers may be using a better quality lens, higher bit rate, mount the camera on the outside of the windshield to eliminate glare and drive in good conditions (well lit streets at night).

In addition to the F520LS, the F500LS and F900LS models have been released as well.

The F500LS - Same black or silver case as the F500LHD but with different internal components
The F520LS - Appears to be the same as the F500LS but in a gold case
The F900LS - Same case as the F900LHD but with different internal components

It is likely that the 3 cameras above have the exact same components. These new models are updates to the F500LHD and F900LHD with improved night video. The F900LS has been out since the summer so there are some reviews on this camera. I will try to compile some information on this camera and create a page on it shortly. I believe they are using a Zoran processor now instead of the Ambarella A2.

Also the F520LS costs $200. There are a lot of good dash cams in this range to consider.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan said:
The DOD F520LS has been recently released and there are very few owner reviews of this camera yet. The videos on youtube are typically from Asian countries and are likely coming from the manufacturer. I like to see real user videos as opposed to the manufacturer videos. Manufacturers may be using a better quality lens, higher bit rate, mount the camera on the outside of the windshield to eliminate glare and drive in good conditions (well lit streets at night).
Dash Cam Man

1000% agree with you and that is the reason I post this message on this board. I don't like to spend money on marketing features.

DashCamMan said:
The F520LS - Appears to be the same as the F500LS but in a gold case
Dash Cam Man
You missed g-sensor.
I'm not shure that this sensor is must have. Also I'm not shure that I can ready to pay for it second price of device.

DashCamMan said:
It is likely that the 3 cameras above have the exact same components. These new models are updates to the F500LHD and F900LHD with improved night video. The F900LS has been out since the summer so there are some reviews on this camera. I will try to compile some information on this camera and create a page on it shortly. I believe they are using a Zoran processor now instead of the Ambarella A2.
Dash Cam Man
Hope that F520LS also have improved night video.
Yes. Asian videos are very good, and also I have to agree with you - it could be different camera used and mount outside car and other things.

DashCamMan said:
Also the F520LS costs $200. There are a lot of good dash cams in this range to consider.
Dash Cam Man

And here I'm on your side.

What I'm looking here is to prrove myself that this device is good balanced in price/quality/features.

rufn said:
You missed g-sensor.
I'm not shure that this sensor is must have. Also I'm not shure that I can ready to pay for it second price of device.

Yes you are right rufn. 2 of the 3 of the new LS cameras (F500LS, F520LS) come with a g-sensor. The F900LS does not. However, I think the F900LS reviews will shed light on all of the new models. Hoping to get that up soon.

Dash Cam Man

We have just completed the DOD F900LS FAQ on the main site. In summary:

- the camera has better night quality than the F900LHD but not as good as some of the Korean cameras
- 720p at 60fps is a gimmick. The viewing angle is too small and the video quality is virtually no different than in 30fps
- Many users have complained about build quality
- In cold weather, the video is blurry until the camera warms up

Given the high price tag of about $180, I would pass on this camera. Assuming the F520LS and the F500LS are using similar internal components, these cameras are overpriced (i think the F520LS sells for $200 :eek: ). With unknown reliability and no GPS, unless the price is in the $100 range, I would look elsewhere.

Dash Cam Man

Back