DOD LS430W vs LS460W Side by Side Screenshots (Night)

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
So the day thread is here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/ls460w-vs-ls430w-side-by-side-screenshots-day.6846/#post-81873

The Nextbase is basically a rebranded LS430W under another name so this is testing last generation LS430W with the Aptina AR0330 vs current generation LS460W with the Sony Exmor sensor.

They had lots of time to tune the last generation whereas the new one needs a lot of work - anyway - screenshots for your viewing pleasure :)

But all the marketing blurb says it's better at night - so how does it really compare?

Let's find out

I don't know about you guys but other than colour tone / white balance and slightly less noise in the LS460W they look the same to me!

I'm not sure where they're hiding all the extra dynamic range in the Sony Exmor sensor - they seem to use it in the day to get a brighter picture but at night it seems like they spent all their time coding that ISO banner and forgot to actually make the camera do anything different.

in my case was bigger differences

out.php

out.php

out.php

I do see the improvements at dusk, just before sunset, where the LS460W makes it look like day which shows the sensor is definitely better like you pic shows, I'm guessing this was taken outside of a car though?

The camera does feel like it's raising the exposure to get the brighter shot rather than taking the advantage of the better sensor as it's this time of day when things go blurry too?

Could you see how yours compare when they're both sat in the same car with the headlights on please as it's strange that in the dark with the headlights on that they're exactly the same?

Back