DOD LS470W vs Street Guardian SG9665GC. High-temperature tolerance

Tural Muradbeyli

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Hello,

I'm choosing between DOD LS470W and Street Guardian SG9665GC. One of the main issues that I am interested in this high-temperature endurance. In the country where I live, in summer the temperature can rise to 42-44 degrees Celsius. Here is the street temperature of 34 degrees (7 August 2017, 11:52), and the temperature inside the car which stood on the street is 53 degrees. I suppose that when the outside temperature becomes 42 degrees, the temperature inside the car reaches 60 degrees. And this despite the fact that the windshield in summer is always covered with a sun shade. The car remains all day under the sun, but during the ride, I always turn on the air conditioning.

In the manual of Street Guardian SG9665GK it is written that: "The camera is designed to operate at temperatures of between -10°c to +60°c, operating outside of these temperatures may produce unpredictable results". However, they claim that: "Super-Capacitor + Metal Lens Holder-Base means Extreme Temperature Resistance!".

In the specifications of DOD LS470W it is written that operating temperature is -20°C~65°C.
The DOD has an advantage in that it can be removed from the mount during long parking in hot weather. Also, DOD can be hidden from the sun with sun shade, like here in the example with broken FineVu CR-500HD. It is impossible with Street Guardian SG9665GC.

Have any of you used one of these dash cams (including DOD LS460W which is similar to LS470W) at such high temperatures? How do you think, which of them is more high-temperature tolerant?

the SGGCX2 has higher heat tolerance than the SG9665GC
I can't find any official information about operation temperature of SGGCX2. I can't find any video sample of SGGCX2 and can't see the difference with SG9665GC. SGGCX2 become more expensive than SG9665GC, because for $189.95 also includes CPL filter, but for SGGCX2 I have to buy CPL filter separately for $19.9.

Hello,

I'm choosing between DOD LS470W and Street Guardian SG9665GC. One of the main issues that I am interested in this high-temperature endurance. In the country where I live, in summer the temperature can rise to 42-44 degrees Celsius. Here is the street temperature of 34 degrees (7 August 2017, 11:52), and the temperature inside the car which stood on the street is 53 degrees. I suppose that when the outside temperature becomes 42 degrees, the temperature inside the car reaches 60 degrees. And this despite the fact that the windshield in summer is always covered with a sun shade. The car remains all day under the sun, but during the ride, I always turn on the air conditioning.

In the manual of Street Guardian SG9665GK it is written that: "The camera is designed to operate at temperatures of between -10°c to +60°c, operating outside of these temperatures may produce unpredictable results". However, they claim that: "Super-Capacitor + Metal Lens Holder-Base means Extreme Temperature Resistance!".

In the specifications of DOD LS470W it is written that operating temperature is -20°C~65°C.
The DOD has an advantage in that it can be removed from the mount during long parking in hot weather. Also, DOD can be hidden from the sun with sun shade, like here in the example with broken FineVu CR-500HD. It is impossible with Street Guardian SG9665GC.

Have any of you used one of these dash cams (including DOD LS460W which is similar to LS470W) at such high temperatures? How do you think, which of them is more high-temperature tolerant?
You only need to worry about temperature tolerances if you leave the camera working while the car is parked. If not, all you need to do to protect the camera's hardware is cooling the inside of the car a bit with the A/C before turning the camera on. It's not like you're going to drive with 50 or 60ºC inside the car, so when the temperature is comfortable enough for the human body it'll be more than comfortable for the camera.

In case you choose the SG you can always put the sun shade outside the windscreen. If it's not big enough you can always get a bigger one and tuck the edges between the doors and the A-pillars (I have a truck-size one that covers the whole windscreen).
There are two big advantages to this method: 1) you can keep the camera on the mount (any camera, in fact) and 2) it's much more effective in keeping the car's inside "cooler" because it doesn't let the windshield get hot, which translates into less heat being transferred from the hot glass to the inside.

As for the DOD's, there is at least one member here from Israel that uses a 460W, I know an Australian dashcammer that has also been using one for some years now and you know how hot Israel or Australia can be. But if you don't use the camera for parking recording and you follow the sun visor advice it doesn't really matter which camera you buy or where you live. ;)

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am a new user of SG9665GC V3 and have on 1-2 occasions driven in sun for an hour or more. What I have been doing while parking the car in sun is to remove the camera from its mount and disconnect it from the cable and store it in the glove-box. How is that? I also guess that the wind-shield cover may cover the lens part right upto the mount and that will save it from heat. Comments from experts?

I also guess that the wind-shield cover may cover the lens part right upto the mount and that will save it from heat. Comments from experts?
If you put it on the outside, yes. It's the best way to protect the whole camera. :)

What is the difference between SGGCX2 and SG9665GC?
- изменен дизайн и уменьшен размер (стал тоньше)
- обновлен объектив (будет использован от SG9663DC)
- увеличен угол вертикальной регулировки объектива
- более высокий допуск к плюсовым температурам
- улучшена вентиляция
- изменен угол платы (увеличение места для кабелей)
- обновлена прочая оснастка

new model has better heat tolerance, better ventilation, larger range of adjustment for the lens, better clearance for cables

- изменен дизайн и уменьшен размер (стал тоньше)
- обновлен объектив (будет использован от SG9663DC)
- увеличен угол вертикальной регулировки объектива
- более высокий допуск к плюсовым температурам
- улучшена вентиляция
- изменен угол платы (увеличение места для кабелей)
- обновлена прочая оснастка

and sensor changed from Sony IMX322 to Sony IMX323. How it affected the quality of the video? It could be better to see side-by-side video comparison.

and sensor changed from Sony IMX322 to Sony IMX323. How it affected the quality of the video? It could be better to see side-by-side video comparison.

no change to the results, the sensor is a model number change from Sony but technically the same product

As I understand it, Sony made a small manufacturing change with the 322 and called it the 323 afterward. They are directly interchangeable. Also I think the 322 has been phased out of production and most stocks have been sold leaving the 323 as the only one you'll likely see in a new cam.

It was months ago when I researched this so if anyone knows better please let us all know :D

Phil

Correct, there's no further production of the 322, we bought the last of them at the time for the GC, it's all 323 going forward, they're directly interchangeable with each other

the SGGCX2 has higher heat tolerance than the SG9665GC
is it possible to quantify this? may I know what was done to improve the heat tolerance?

I'm looking to buy a second SG9665GC as its one sale right now.
thank you

Today, I ordered two pieces of SG9665GC with the 64GB memory card at Amazon.com, one for me, another for the colleague, who trusted me in the choice of the dash cam. I ordered SG9665GC instead of SGGCX2 because SG9665GC is $40 cheaper.

The GC are also a time tested product, the GCX2 are not there yet, and even with SG that still have some say, and the GC are also still a most valid product that thanks to the way SG handle things will be around for years to come i think.

Today, I ordered two pieces of SG9665GC with the 64GB memory card at Amazon.com, one for me, another for the colleague, who trusted me in the choice of the dash cam. I ordered SG9665GC instead of SGGCX2 because SG9665GC is $40 cheaper.
His/Her trust in you will be rewarded.

Hello,

You can also measure temperature of your dash in your car on a sunny day and decide whether the spec is enough. I did a test a while ago and results were not encouraging.
Extreme 55 degrees C (131F) dashcam

Back