Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
DOD Mirror DVR.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_01.jpg

RX7W slim mirror type - high quality dash camera

• WDR wide dynamic, unique nighttime light and graced reduction technology that allows video effects to present the most beautiful picture
  • 3DNR noise reduction function to reduce noise under low-light, allowing clear images
  • large aperture F1.8 lens
  • Anti-glare lens design
  • Exclusive Velcro fixed design, more suitable for a variety of vehicles shall be fitted with
  • Omni-directional rotating lens, full video
  • 3-inch large screen, video screen can be turned on or off
  • Supports up to 32GB Micro SDHC Memory Card
  • Motion Detection Recording
  • watermark function
  • Password protection
  • Sound recording turn off function
  • G-SENSOR automatic file protection

Source:
http://www.dod-tec.com/zh-tw/dm.php?prod=RX7W.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_01.jpg
RX7W_FEATURES_02.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_03.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_04.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_05.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_06.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_07.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_08.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_09.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_10.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_11.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_12.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_13.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_14.jpg

RX7W_FEATURES_15.jpg

RX7W_-20130903_1.jpg

RX7W_-20130903_2.jpg

RX7W_-20130903_3.jpg

RX7W_-20130903_4.jpg

RX7W_-20130903_5.jpg

Price on DOD website is 799Yuan ( approx 130 usd )

http://www.dod-mall.com/goods.php?id=129

In Taiwan its 4490 TWD, approx 153usd

http://www.etmall.com.tw/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?StoreID=7&CategoryID=16225&ProductSKU=1316586

Last edited:
Looks interesting but only for Asian markets for now I suppose?

Looks interesting but only for Asian markets for now I suppose?

Its just released couple of weeks ago and it's as usually, - first for local market, but after some time can be sold internationally.
Knowing DOD quality in the past I believe it it high quality built with good dash camera specs. Even looking at compressed youtube files its looks promising.

JooVuu started re-selling some of DOD products. Maybe have to ask from them exact international availability for this mirror dvr? Maybe they ( JooVuu ) even could provide one free sample for full test and review ?

interesting.. current mirror type models on the market are almost made at low price, but poor quality.
it seems DOD upgrade this kind of dash cam to another level.
but i am curious that whether if any market outside china and taiwan.

interesting.. current mirror type models on the market are almost made at low price, but poor quality.
it seems DOD upgrade this kind of dash cam to another level.
but i am curious that whether if any market outside china and taiwan.

Actually there is a demand for mirror dvr-s but not that big as for single dash cameras.
The problem is that till now only Abeo was producing OK mirror DVR-s, but still nothing that could be compared to let's say standards of DOD LS300W.
This mirror seems to have same vidoe quality ( and probably based on same hardware / firmware ) as DOD LS300W. So it is a good step forward from DOD.

not sure they'd want to, this mirror would never get the approvals needed to be used in most markets

Yes, there will be some difficulties in some countries.
Also being wider than standard mirror, there will be a problem in some cars with using sun-visors.
But from all the similar universal mirror out there on the market, this one looks the best one at the moment. Also Mio has one with good technical specs and Carscam as well just released something similar.

in any western market this type of mirror won't get the required approvals, won't stop people buying them or selling them but they'd never get any mass market retail exposure or dealership etc type business where compliance is a legality issue

This is going to be a stupid question, but how do you install this. Niko mentions it is wider then a stock rear mirror and i see the the straps. Does it just strap over your stock mirror and then it being wider makes the lens stick out over a stock strapped to mirror?

Yes, you strap over stock mirror.
Found similar mirror mounted:

T2_oprXDNXXXXXXXXX_!!1074822510.jpg

T2RwXnXv8aXXXXXXXX_!!1074822510.jpg
T2RddvXuxXXXXXXXXX_!!1074822510.jpg

Looks like you'd need to be driving an SUV or Van to have enough space for something like this without problems lowering the sun shades in the car.

Reactions: Jim
Looks like you'd need to be driving an SUV or Van to have enough space for something like this without problems lowering the sun shades in the car.

I was using a ABEO similar mount type mirror DVR-s and to be honest I did not found any difficulty. Only thing is that my car windows were not tinted and rearview mirror is light grey, so that add-on dvr mirror was noticeable, but when isntalled into my friend car ( tinted windows, black rearview mirror plastic ), then it was almost un-noticeable from outside. And I dont remember having problem using sun-visors.

Thanks for the install pictures Niko. Looks a little better then imagined installed. I'd consider one of these if possible. I had glanced before at Rear Mirror DVRs, but with all the low quality ones i kind of stayed away, but for around 150 dollars with decent quality i would give it a shot.

Why don't they give a short lead to wire into interior lights option? my lights are like the pictured option by Niko.

After painting my mirror in my car and reinstalling the mirror,i thought it would be a better option to have a dash cam with a short lead that can plug into lighting?

My car has a ball point pivot so a mirror cam with a short lead would be easier to have a complete replacement mirror with a lead to plug into interior lighting??

A sucker mount with this is a option than just remove orignal mirror.( i also drove my car without mirror with my camera in mirror postion i believe view and image are better than any other position,I just put rebuilt mirror back in and are dispointed that i cannot receive such a image now.)

I rearly use my car interior mirror due to being used to driving a Truck,a possible suction or stuck mirror with better quality would be a good replacement to moving a camera such as i do now,i will put my hand up if any mirror replacement come's out for a trial!

saw it yesterday, don't know what the dimensions are but it's bigger than it looks in the pictures

Reactions: Jim
My first post here.....

I'm a dashcam novice but I liked the idea of the rearview mounted dash cam. Since this is DOD's first such cam, and they seem to make pretty good cams, so I thought I'd get this cam. I ordered from an eBay dealer in Hong Kong and it arrived in a few days. It seems to be the real deal, not a knock off. Being an early adaptor this unit comes with the Chinese menu, but I have a full translation of the menus from Chinese to English. I actually helped the vendor complete the translation so if you end up buying this unit from them you will probably get my .pdf file. They are supposed to send me the English version of the firmware when it is released. This is my first dashcam so I don't have any personal experience to compare it to, but I've done a ton of research and I think I know more than a noob about these. So I'll try to give you my honest review of this product. I'll post up some pics later, but you've all seen them here as well as video.

Pros:
- This mirror DVR is made by/for DOD and it seems to have the same basic electronics of the LS300W.
- The camera is pretty slim for a rearview mirror cam and the Velcro straps and the rubber pads on the back make it easy to install.
- I bought a 'cheap' 32GB Patriot SD card from Fry's and it seems to work fine. It didn't like my PC as well actually, but in the dashcam, set at 3min recording, it filled the card and over-wrote older recordings just like it was supposed to.
- The buttons on the bottom are pretty easy to access. There are visual indications of the button functions on the mirror, but being far sighted they are not easy for me to see, but you can run your thumb over them and find the button you need.
- As everyone realizes these types of cams are going to be larger than your actual rearview mirror. But I don't find it obnoxiously large. I can still lower my sun visors and not hit it, but it does 'overlap' the edge of the mirror. In fact the mirror is larger and you can see more behind you than your normal mirror.
- They must have some sort of image stabilization in the camera because I can see the vibrations in the road shake the cam but the videos don't seem to be affected.
- The daytime videos seem to be of the same quality at the LS300W.
- It is all black on the backside and when installed it is pretty stealthy. I haven't tried to hid the power cable yet but if the cable is properly dressed you would be hard pressed to notice it unless you were trying.

Cons:
- While the electronics seem the same as the LS300W, the camera/lens is not. It does not have the same '6G' lens and the aperture is only 1.8 (not 1.6) so the low light performance is not as good. I don't live in the city so most of my night driving is already pretty dark. So nighttime video is not like the video you have all seen of the LS300W at night. Note that most of those are taken in well lit city areas so I think they will look better than a country road.
- The LCD display turns on when the unit boots up. It shows the DOD splash screen and then in a few seconds it displays the output of the camera. You can verify that it is recording and setting etc. BUT... it won't turn off for 3 minutes. You can set the options for this to 'off, 3min, 5min, and 10min' but 'off' doesn't mean turn the display off immediately. It just defaults back to 3 min. The problem with this is that at night you don't want this screen to light up. With it on you can't see out the mirror because the light from the LCD is overpowering everything. What do you do after you start your car???? You normally back out of a parking spot, a garage etc, but you ALWAYS want to look in the rearview mirror. This makes it VERY difficult. This is the biggest CON for this camera and almost a deal breaker. I have a separate backup cam that shows on my Nav screen, but I always like to look in the mirror. It seems no one at DOD has actually used this camera or the cam would have a way to stay dark. I hope they fix this in a firmware update.
- The camera lens is built to swivel so that it can be pointed forward when your rearview mirror is tilted at an angle. But the lens can't move very far and it can't move far enough to make it point straight ahead when the mirror is angled for proper rear viewing. This is another case of the designer not using this cam before they put it in production. Maybe with your particular car and seating position it will be okay, but in my car it just can't go far enough. The camera is pointed slightly to the right of center. I can move the mirror (since it is larger and have more viewing area) and get it close but they need just a little more adjustability here.
- The G-Sensor is really sensitive. It has gone off several times just hitting an unusually large gap in the road. It does successfully more that recording into the 'safe' folder and won't over-write it (good) but when it goes off if also turns the LCD screen on so you can see the little 'lock' icon, but at night it also blocks your rear view from the mirror. You can adjust the sensitivity and I set it lower than the default of 'normal' but it still goes off on rough pavements like a pot hole or extreme pavement gap.
- The mirror is plastic and the mirror finish is sputtered on. It is pretty reflective but not as much as glass and probably not as durable. It may be easily scratched if you don't take care when cleaning.

I only paid $148 for this cam so it was an okay value. The other cam I was considering was the LS300W Plus. The problem I have with these cams is that I want to hide them behind the mirror, but then I can't easily access the button when I want to. So I thought the rearview mounted cam would overcome this, and it does. But the biggest drawback is that the LCD screen cannot be turned off in less than 3 minutes and that is bad at night when you want to look out the rear window.

I think I'll keep it and (hopefully) get the English firmware. Maybe they will make a few other improvements as well like the LCD screen OFF setting. I really like the idea of the dashcam and the mirror mounting, but DOD's execution has a few flaws. I think they can be fixed in a 2nd gen product. But once I'm done with my first dashcam I'll probably replace this with a better version or a windshield mounted cam like the LS300W Plus.

Thanks for overview. Dod proven to have overall a good quality products however price is too high.
I will be reviewing soon ( in 2-3 weeks ) another much cheaper mirror dvr with relatively same specs ( nt96650 cpu, ar0330 cmos, 6g glass lens, F1.6, etc ).

By the way large aperture is not guarantee you low-light performance. There are many other factors that affects good night vidision. For example Panorama II with lens aperture F2.8 beats any? / most other dash cameras in low light performance ( at the moment from what I know and have been tested ). You may read and see my tests here

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/lens-aperture-f1-6-vs-f2-8-mobius-vs-ls300w-vs-panorama2.2586/

... so dont worrie about your dod mirror dvr F1.8 lens. If firmware is correctly tuned up then it can produce nice video at night.

If possible, can you share few raw video files from day, night, pitch dark, street / highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nico, it will be nice to learn about this new mirror cam. Maybe I should have held off a little longer on the RX7W. I'm not sure how to post videos on this forum. The files are over 300MB, seems I need to post them on YouTube first than post a link here. I tried to upload the Chinese to English menu translation for the RX7W but the file seems to be too large. Does anyone know the file size limit?

Thanks.

upload the files to somewhere like www.mega.co.nz and just post the links to the files, it's fast, free and accessible for everyone, YouTube re-encode the video and make a mess of it anyway

nice review and you touched on a few issues, for most of these mirror DVR's there are legality issues due to the glass, they have got around this by using plastic but it doesn't work as well so a bit of a trade off, the LCD lighting up when driving is an issue in a lot of countries so besides the annoyance factor be aware of your local regulations, at least they should be able to fix this in the firmware, you mentioned not enough adjustment in the lens and this is a hardware issue though and this would need to be addressed I think, maybe version 2 will be better, there will always be compromises compared to a dedicated replacement mirror type DVR so I don't expect it will ever be completely right

Back