Does anyone go to Car meets, shows,or cruises?

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
I have seen a few really neat cars posted in the what do you drive thread.
I was just wondering does anyone here take their car to a Meet, Show, or Cruise?

I go to a few on the weekends. Most of the ones i go to there are a lot of 1950s-2010s American Muscle Cars and Classics. A little bit of everything from a 1957 Chevy Bel Air to a 2013 ZL1 Camaro. Some of the bigger shows may have a few more exotic cars. Seen a few Ferraris Vipers Supras and RX-7s at a few shows, but most weekends it is not anything to crazy. You usual don't see the Japanese import cars at a show in my area unless it is something really nice like the Fairlady Z line or S13/14s. Most of the drivers who modify cars like Civics, Integras, and Eclipses go to shows and meets that are advertised as Import Shows, but regardless of what kind It's just nice to get out and see what other people do to their cars and how they enjoy them.

So again i was wondering does anyone else happen to go?
What is a car cruise in other parts of the world like? What kind of cars show up?
Has anyone from other countries that has entered their car gotten a Dash Plaque for attending a show?

I like to go to car shows whenever the opportunity arises, new cars, hot rods, muscle cars, trade shows, whatever, I just like cars

would normally go to Motorex which is one of the premium shows near home, missed it this year as I'm in China, this is a bit of a look at that show http://vimeo.com/72246434

in previous times (during the 90's) I was involved in car audio competition and competed in pro class, was also a judge at national level, we built a lot of winning cars as well, had a lot of trophy winning cars, magazine features etc

we do quite a lot of other product as well, I just concentrate on the car cameras as it keeps me involved in the car related industry which I personally like to do, (started working in the automotive industry in 1981)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post and link jokiin.
I love seeing stuff from Australia. It can be a bit hard to go through the red tape to get something that is different and RHD here so seeing all the RHD along with the cars they don't sale here especially the Holden UTE that i would love to get my hands on as a daily driver.
The 1982 UTE with the 383 looked amazing.

I've seen on YouTube and the like different car audio competitions, but never in person. Some odd years ago i used to see the smaller sized trucks here (Chevy S10, Ford Ranger, and Nissan Hardbody) lowered enough to scrape the ground with 4-6 sub woofers in the back, but you don't see them around here as much anymore.

A quick Google Image search will also bring up the neat plaques that people get for displaying their car at a meet.
3sfi1.jpg

2lcxxc0.jpg

When I was living in the states (Indianapolis), during the summer there was a mall parking lot that every Friday and sometimes Saturday evenings guys whith hot cars (and some not so hot but interesting) would come and park for people to come and see. Sort of an impromptoo car show. I would take my '88 Fiero Formula and park and open the engine compartment for people to look at. There was also a short drive away in a small town an old "Dog & Suds" drive in that was only open in the summer months on the weekends. People would come from all over the state (and further if an event was going on in Indianapolis) to drive or park and show off their cars. People also just cruzed through too but most stopped and walked around and looked. I would park my Fiero and walk around; you could see all sorts of things there. I remember one year during the 500 (May) an old guy showed up in an old Indy car with just enough lights to make it street legal. Even had an Offenhouser engine in it. I miss those days; I sold all my cars when I retired and moved over seas.

roadbug said:
I would take my '88 Fiero Formula and park and open the engine compartment for people to look at.
I used to have an 85GT years ago. (The only year you could get the GT package with the Nothback style i believe.) I love getting to experience odd cars like the Fiero. I've been through a few different cars since then though, but i was cleaning out my basement a few months ago and found an Upper Intake Manifold that i had meant to put on the car and never got around to.

With it being the weekend i will more then likely end up at a show or two.

I gather with my group of friends mostly90's Japanese cars on a weekly basis.

The usually car that shows up are like supra, Nsx , gtr, rx7 and we would go cruise and eat afterward and bs around lol

Went to one this weekend. Was going to hit another, but the weather looked a little gloomy.

A lot of Corvettes over the weekend a few Camaros a few classic Mopar cars nothing to wild. Talked to a few Corvette guys.

I went to one a few months ago and someone with a 50s Chevy actually had a DashCam on their windscreen. It looked like a DVR-027 and i asked the older gentleman owner but he did not seem to know much about it.
I asked what the color of the date stamp was on the video and he said I think Red.

CheckYourLights said:
a few Camaros

did you see the footage of the new 2014 Z/28 Camaro released recently, should be on Jay Leno's Garage if you want to have a look, nice car

I did see the Z/28 on Jay Leno's Garage. Seems like one hell of a car. Always been a fan of the GM F-Body platform. (Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Trans Am)
Around here you always see the older 67-79 or the 2005+ ones. Very little love at all for the 82-92 3rd Gen or 93-02 4th Gen.

I've seen the motors of the generation (LS1 Small Block V8) used in everything from Foxbody Mustangs to Mazda MX-5s to Pontiac Fieros to BMWs. It's a popular swap for a lot of different cars, but you never really see an LS1 Camaro or TransAm at a meet.

CheckYourLights said:
I've seen the motors of the generation (LS1 Small Block V8) used in everything from Foxbody Mustangs to Mazda MX-5s to Pontiac Fieros to BMWs. It's a popular swap for a lot of different cars, but you never really see an LS1 Camaro or TransAm at a meet.

I'm a big fan of the LSX swaps, it's such a great drivetrain, something I want to do one day into something a bit different ;)

GM in Australia have just released a new supercharged LS3 powered car, getting great reviews right now, almost 100k price tag and there's still a waiting list

I believe i had seen an LSx Swap into a Holden UTE on LS1Tech was a crazy set of wheels for sure.

CheckYourLights said:
I believe i had seen an LSx Swap into a Holden UTE on LS1Tech was a crazy set of wheels for sure.

they put them in everything it seems, into a Holden is easiest for us as there are off the shelf parts for most models to do the swap

I'm a f body guy, i had a ls1 Miata , 2-3 lsx rx7.

Parts are cheap to source and they are everywhere :)

tbkonwso1 said:
I believe there was a Carbed Chevy small block dropped into an FC RX-7 for sale on Craigslist a while back. I always like seeing weird different stuff, but i don't think i would buy anything like it that that I did not do myself, or have a friend do.
It is just so wild and different you don't know what a previous owner has done to get it running and what parts are going to be needed when things need replaced, and the custom work involved, because more often then not people build them to get more power and drive hard. When you drive hard parts go.

CheckYourLights said:
tbkonwso1 said:
I believe there was a Carbed Chevy small block dropped into an FC RX-7 for sale on Craigslist a while back. I always like seeing weird different stuff, but i don't think i would buy anything like it that that I did not do myself, or have a friend do.
It is just so wild and different you don't know what a previous owner has done to get it running and what parts are going to be needed when things need replaced, and the custom work involved, because more often then not people build them to get more power and drive hard. When you drive hard parts go.

it was definitely a project took about 1 year to build, mostly because i took my time and worked out every little detail..such as retaining AC, Power steering, Gauges, Shift position, cruise control etc...

i've seen localy swapped a 1jz FD , 2jz FD, 13B in miata, LS7 S2k, Ls2 240, ..with any swap car, in the end its just all attention to detail.

Just got back from what was the last meet for the year in one of the biggest meets that is within decent amount of driving distance in my area. The place was PACKED I went with a friend who entered their car because i'm still working on mine, and we got one of the last few available spots in the entire place.

There was a little bit of everything Corvettes are popular here few C5s C6s one or two C1s a Viper few Shelby Cobras that I'm guessing were kit cars because if i remember right real 427 Cobras are rather expensive and only a few are around. Not to much of an Import crowd maybe two Nissans and a few S2000s. All in all a nice time. I'm not a huge tuner fan, but i do like and respect the guys who do put real work in to their car in way of worthwhile performance there are some really great FairladyZs S2000s, S14/15 WRXs so on and so forth running around.

24brwg6.jpg

14b59z.jpg

15naxw0.jpg

The third shot was from a few weeks ago, but i think it looks really great. If you don't show up early you won't find a place to park
People bring tents coolers food and make it an all day thing.

Few more pictures for everyone.
Here is a RHD VW RatBug UTE
21ugpj.jpg

bgqjhv.jpg

x0s3uc.jpg

Sorry about the glare
27zdvmv.jpg

10ncmt3.jpg

Seen this on a Nissan thought maybe jokiin might get a little bit of a laugh out of it.
xp4ms8.png

Things are starting to wind down, but here is some more fun stuff for everyone interested.

29lo9xy.jpg

That is indeed a key hole with a key inserted in the fender.
k37qf5.jpg

kai92u.jpg

2j4ez2f.png

Back