Does anyone have actual experience using the K1S in a flat rear window with privacy glass?

Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have experience using the K1S on a flat rear window with privacy glass? I have the original privacy glass bath that most new SUVs get at the factory. How did the K1S perform in your vehicle? I would also be interested to hear how you found nighttime video recording from such type rear window.

It's not a great low light performer, expect it to struggle behind privacy glass

Since seller's (whether retailer's or manufacturer's) are increasingly offering 30-day no questions asked warranties...I can always try it out myself on the rear window and then decide if to keep or not. Do you think a plan like this will fly?

Warranty and not liking something are too different things, you'd be better to raise your concerns with the seller prior to purchase and see if they are willing to let you buy on the proviso of being able to send it back if the performance behind privacy glass is sub par, that would be more honest at least

Don't know that it's really the best choice for your intended use

Does anyone have experience using the K1S on a flat rear window with privacy glass? I have the original privacy glass bath that most new SUVs get at the factory. How did the K1S perform in your vehicle? I would also be interested to hear how you found nighttime video recording from such type rear window.

K1S has some unstable long term firmware/hardware quirks so be prepared. The mic/audio is usually useless too. Check the Amazon 1,2 star reviews. We decided not to stock K1S after failed testing. If you get one to work, you're one of the lucky ones.

Some really nice dual channel products (with good night/tint performance) are in development for 2016 by several companies. I think this will be the year dual channel is done right with remote lens/remote lens.

Warranty and not liking something are too different things, you'd be better to raise your concerns with the seller prior to purchase and see if they are willing to let you buy on the proviso of being able to send it back if the performance behind privacy glass is sub par, that would be more honest at least

Don't know that it's really the best choice for your intended use

LOL...you knew what I meant. I don't see I used "I didn't like it [the product]" anywhere,,, I think we both know in this case my claim is along the lines of "the product performed below my expectations/below my understanding of the seller's description of what the product would be able to deliver under my conditions" - but that's much lengthier typing!:eek:
Best buyer's practice, when in doubt, is always to engage in direct (written is best) communication with seller during pre-sales period and get specific commitments that then become an individualized warranty of sorts, i.e., extended only to the individual for that specific product and occasion. As a manufacturer, I think you like this wording better! :)

K1S has some unstable long term firmware/hardware quirks so be prepared. The mic/audio is usually useless too. Check the Amazon 1,2 star reviews. We decided not to stock K1S after failed testing. If you get one to work, you're one of the lucky ones.

Some really nice dual channel products (with good night/tint performance) are in development for 2016 by several companies. I think this will be the year dual channel is done right with remote lens/remote lens.

Thank you Pier.
I hope 2016 is also the year dual channel is done right with remote lens/remote DVR and discreetly!!!
Russia, Korea and China (perhaps even Europe to an extend) might not care much about discreetness, but in the USA discreetness is what sells!
In those countries, the bigger the better; in USA, the smaller, the better.
K1S delivers discreetness today; and the K1S that works delivers on both, performance and discreetness, today. :cool:

Russia, Korea and China (perhaps even Europe to an extend) might not care much about discreetness, but in the USA discreetness is what sells!

actually in the USA the market is predominantly selling designs which are anything but discrete, the retail chains sell more cameras than anyone and it's all big ugly stuff, the enthusiast wants discreet but the average shopper doesn't even know it exists

actually in the USA the market is predominantly selling designs which are anything but discrete, the retail chains sell more cameras than anyone and it's all big ugly stuff, the enthusiast wants discreet but the average shopper doesn't even know it exists

I agree that's what they are selling...which explains, IMO, why their sales haven't yet gone thru the roof and why, I think, we consumers keep hearing statements such as "2016...will be the year dual channel is done right with remote lens/remote lens." I think the industry is doing a lot, but it's also clear a lot more needs to be done to satisfy the market. My situation is that I need a dash cam, and I need it quickly (i.e., not in December 2016), so my option is to get something now and upgrade later in the year if retailers expectations materialize...:eek:

even if there are great dual channel options available this year we're still quite some way away from them being on the shelf at Best Buy etc, the traditional retail channels are slower to respond to this sort of thing

even if there are great dual channel options available this year we're still quite some way away from them being on the shelf at Best Buy etc, the traditional retail channels are slower to respond to this sort of thing
I have to agree! BTW, I can buy from anywhere..local..online..China..even the moon (hahaha). Personally, I am not limited to the Best Buy mentality..BTW BTW, about a month ago I was at PepBoys and saw no-name dash cams for sale..can't remember but think they were going for about $19.99 or perhaps $29..99. I ran from them as fast as I could..LOL:D

I would love to see some new dashcams with similar form factor to that of the K1S. Those cameras are the most discrete ones I've seen.

Also, I'd love to see an option that auto-formats the card at user selected times or at least an easier way to do it rather than go through the menus.

I would love to see some new dashcams with similar form factor to that of the K1S. Those cameras are the most discrete ones I've seen.

High quality options are coming soon. New mid 2016 models should be huge news once they are ready.

Try this. About 3 mins in, I talk about Kydex plastic. You can heat it with a heat gun and bend it. It work very well.

Back