Does anyone have issues with their cam not turning on?

Andy555

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129 Duo
Ive been using my A129 Duo for a few months now and every now and then during my drive I look over at my cam and see that it never turned on. My cam works fine most of the time but Ive had this issue a handful of times. I power my cam with the cigarette lighter and I know the issue isn't that the plug was loose or not in the port all the way because when I notice, I manually push the power button it turns on and stays on without problem.

Anyone else run into the same issue?

I did...and it was the cigarette power adapter. In short, I had a dual-USB power adapter so that I could power the camera and my phone. Occasionally it would do what you described. I put the Viofo power adapter in (single USB) and never had the issue again. Bottom line, try another power adapter, you may be surprised.

I did...and it was the cigarette power adapter. In short, I had a dual-USB power adapter so that I could power the camera and my phone. Occasionally it would do what you described. I put the Viofo power adapter in (single USB) and never had the issue again. Bottom line, try another power adapter, you may be surprised.

Did yours not come with a dual Viofo adapter? I'm using the one that came with it.

But I've experienced this problem even when I wasn't using the other port to charge my phone.

No. The dual USB was a Scosche brand. The Viofo was a single USB that worked perfectly. Perhaps your Viofo adapter is faulty? I'd try another one. Just make sure it has enough amperage. I think you'll need about 1A at least.

No. The dual USB was a Scosche brand. The Viofo was a single USB that worked perfectly. Perhaps your Viofo adapter is faulty? I'd try another one. Just make sure it has enough amperage. I think you'll need about 1A at least.

Did you only get the front A129 cam? If not, thats strange you got a single port adapter. In all the unboxing/reviews for the A129, everyone got the dual port adapter.

Did you only get the front A129 cam? If not, thats strange you got a single port adapter. In all the unboxing/reviews for the A129, everyone got the dual port adapter.
Doh...my bad. I took a look and you are absolutely right. The Viofo is a dual-port adapter. The adapter I put in (the single port) isn't the Viofo brand. Turns out when I had issues with the Scosche branded dual-port, I must have pulled the wrong adapter from the bin. Sorry about that confusion.

In any event, the non-Viofo single-port adapter solved my power issues. I could go back to trying the Viofo dual-port, but probably won't bother as I'm about to install the 3-wire kit anyway to get parking mode.

Ive been using my A129 Duo for a few months now and every now and then during my drive I look over at my cam and see that it never turned on. My cam works fine most of the time but Ive had this issue a handful of times. I power my cam with the cigarette lighter and I know the issue isn't that the plug was loose or not in the port all the way because when I notice, I manually push the power button it turns on and stays on without problem.

Anyone else run into the same issue?
No, I've not heard of this issue before. If, as you say, there is power to the camera because it will turn on when you press the power button, then there is something strange going on.

Does the camera always shut down properly and save the last file each time?

Yes, to my knowledge the camera always shuts down properly and I haven't had any issues with files or the last file saving.

I'm having the exact same dashcam and issue as Andy555 reported, the dashcam works perfectly but sometimes it doesn't power up when starting the car. I will try using a different USB power supply and see if that helps.

I'm having the exact same dashcam and issue as Andy555 reported, the dashcam works perfectly but sometimes it doesn't power up when starting the car. I will try using a different USB power supply and see if that helps.
Try a longer boot delay setting.

I tried the longer boot time but that didn't seem to solve the issue, since I switched to a different USB power supply (1.5 months ago) I didn't have any more issues. I kept the longer boot time just in case. The power supply is just a "cheap" cigarette lighter socket splitter with USB build into it.

I tried the longer boot time but that didn't seem to solve the issue, since I switched to a different USB power supply (1.5 months ago) I didn't have any more issues. I kept the longer boot time just in case. The power supply is just a "cheap" cigarette lighter socket splitter with USB build into it.
Were you originally using the Viofo adapter and cable or is that what your now using? A lot of users have issues using aftermarket adapters and cables, but have the issues resolved when they use the included Viofo equipment.

I was using the Viofo adapter and cable, currently I have an aftermarket adapter and original cable.

Back