Does anyone still make "snake" cameras suitable for bikes?

Richard Berg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like the BulletHD, Innovv C3, Koonlung K1S, etc have all been discontinued. I see promises of a new model from Street Guardian, but nothing delivered yet. Any new competitors on the scene?

I'm tempted to just buy a Mobius 2 and hack together a DIY power source (DC-DC converter), but I'd rather pay $$ for a well designed, well supported system.

forget the Mobius 2, still has a lot of issues, the original Mobius is still a better choice

Innovv still do a version of the K1S which is bike specific, they have an additional single channel model coming soon also

We'll do one at some point but still a fair way away at this stage

If you can, I'd wait for the new INNOVV next gen product currently in final stages of development. Good things are coming.

If you can, I'd wait for the new INNOVV next gen product currently in final stages of development. Good things are coming.
Interesting -- don't suppose you have an ETA?

As for the dwindling K1S stock seen on eBay...$265 is a lot of coin to drop on older tech with questionable reliability.

Interesting -- don't suppose you have an ETA?

As for the dwindling K1S stock seen on eBay...$265 is a lot of coin to drop on older tech with questionable reliability.

the regular K1S is something I'd avoid anyway, the Innovv version does have some changes that make it more suitable and it undergoes a lot more scrutiny prior to shipping than the regular version ever does

from what I've heard the new camera Innovv are doing could be released within around a month

It's all about reliability in the next version. (and great video of course) Rock is putting all his experience and effort into this one for sure.
We went out to dinner in Shenzhen a week ago. He is making very smart build decisions since this one is being designed from complete scratch.

One drawback to the beloved original Mobius is it's lack of waterproofing as it seems that nobody had developed a decent case which will keep the water out but not overheat the camera. I have some thoughts in that area but I haven't tried them so until then al I can say is I hope you find a suitable cam ;)

As tough as the automotive environment is for things like cams, it's at least 5 times tougher for bikes yet it should still possible to make a really good cam for them so I can't fathom why that hasn't happened yet :(

Phil

There is also the GIT 3 that's supposed to be a dedicated 2 channel bike camera.

Nice RockThinking are still kicking, looking forward to see what he are brewing on, i did like my C1 though it died a premature death, and the C3 are still going strong in my car

These need to come out faster! I'm thinking I can use it for a very discreet 4ch setup in car (assuming they are all remote cameras), also need a set for my motorcycle!

Well there will be at least one dual channel setup with 2 remote cameras, and built on new hardware more suited for dualchannel operation.

BUT ! that system will not be out for 3-4 month ( i guess )
I also guess others might be working on something similar, and IMHO that's the best way to do a dual channel system, and it will be prefect to build a good quad setup using 2 such systems.

You might even be able to find something quick now, but i guarantee you you will regret spending money on it just as quickly.

For liability and proof of your own driving a single camera on the windscreen will suffice, but if you like to expose the dumb ass drivers out then yeah you cant have too many cameras as it are often 360 idiocy you will see on the streets.

Not sure what a snake camera is but I just started looking at the X1F that has 2 x 1080p cameras connected to a central unit, looks small enough to install on the bike easily or in the clothing leaving the main unit in a pocket if you really want to.
http://www.szv-sys.com/Products/

Interesting replies, and thanks to those posting them :)

The X1F/X2 has waterproof cams and supercaps, but the control module isn't waterproof. 2 cams.
The Vacron is all waterproof with supercaps, and has the !MX323 sensor. 2 cams.
The Panasonic is LiPo powered, is all waterproof, and has a LCD screen. Single cam.

Each has some idiosyncrasies but then again that can be said of most cams. Panasonic needs some better people doing their ads; many specs are not given or have to be found in the reviews section. The Vacron ad makes finding info easy and is both comprehensive and comprehendable. The X1F/X2 ad is similar but is titled "X1F" so someone seeking "X2" might not easily find it. Prices are of course higher than what you pay for similar-spec non-waterproof dashcams made for an easier lifestyle inside a car, but are reasonable.

Glad to see this market segment being so well addressed, and only wish DCT had more member/users of these cams to share their experiences with us.

Phil

The HX-A500 had me exited when they first came out, but really its tools i cant afford to buy.
Also reviews of it going head to head with other cameras of the period let the Panasonic camera down somewhat.
But i still like the concept with a lens tethered to a main unit for a action ( human action ) camera, this would also allow for a larger battery as the main unit dont have to be that small.

Today Trancend have made similar body cameras and i believe at a lesser prize as they are only 1080p.

Body cameras should have really good OIS i think as footage otherwise can be unbearable to watch for long.

The new INNOVV product is making good progress, should be able to release details soon.

Looking forward to that, just 1 up on the C3 would be good, but i have a sneaky feeling it will be more than that. :cool:

Back