Does CPL filter really work?

dbusguy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
My picture below shows how bad the glare on my windshield is in sunlight. The A129 seems to really pick it up and I'm wondering from those who have used a CPL filter, are they worth the money and do they reduce the glare from the dash. Center of picture is clamp to hold cell phone and you can see the defroster grills. You can see that the plate on the Jeep in front is not readable.

screenshot_20191004_155722 (Small).png

Yes, they work, and when reflections are as bad as that it will make a big difference.

However it does depend on the type of vehicle, for the one in your Avatar it would make no difference...

I run them on both front and rear lenses. They're like $14 each

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep, but be ready to remove the filter each time for night use as it "eats" 1 to 2 EV.

Yep, but be ready to remove the filter each time for night use as it "eats" 1 to 2 EV.
That depends a great deal on the camera, some do much better at night than others. I've yet to have a need to remove my polarizers for night driving.

CPL work fine and are a must have, not least if you don't have a flat black dashmat.
I can not recomend to remove CPL filters at night, just leave them there if you have a modern dashcam.

I have CPL on both cameras and in my case makes a huge difference.The car is 2018 Ford Focus..

A couple of my old posts from 3 years ago showing the difference with and without a CPL.

Thanks for all the replies. You're all saying that it is worth installing a filter. I wanted to ask because I did search the forum and came across the quoted link and when I looked closely at the comparison photos, I noticed that there was only 1 or 2 seconds between the without and with photos. I was feeling like the photos were altered and not real because I could not figure how a filter could be installed in 1 or 2 seconds. Thank you to the actual users who have said they do work and feel it would remove the glare from my dash.

Thanks for all the replies. You're all saying that it is worth installing a filter. I wanted to ask because I did search the forum and came across the quoted link and when I looked closely at the comparison photos, I noticed that there was only 1 or 2 seconds between the without and with photos. I was feeling like the photos were altered and not real because I could not figure how a filter could be installed in 1 or 2 seconds. Thank you to the actual users who have said they do work and feel it would remove the glare from my dash.
it was done with two cameras side by side

Ah. That explains it, thanks.

btw, are you the same jokiin from mpvclub forum?

I use the cpl filter made from 3d glasses and it definitely works. In polarized filters the angle must be adjusted correctly.
Read my share on my cpl filter below

Attachments

• filtresiz.png
    filtresiz.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • filtreli.png
    filtreli.png
    955.3 KB · Views: 36
Finally ordered my filter from amazon. First test from before and after install. Most of dash shadow has gone [emoji736][emoji1303]

b1edfdaa4f6c7d732a0db21479795641.jpg
2546040f4b15661676947d68ea8d1543.jpg

078879cf5fec0c960bc740a3b87fec82.jpg

86a3bc656805cef33cc76a17aefd7e10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back