Does G1W support higher MicroSD cards?

cristakey

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi, I'd like to upgrade my memory storage of the camera. I now have a 32Gb Kingston MicroSD card but I need more storage and I'd like to reach up to 128Gb, or 64 in the worst case.
Is that possible? I know the official specs tell "up to 32Gb" but I have heard of people using higher memories. Will it work?
If yes, do I have to do something in particular in the settings?

Thanks!

Yes if formated to FAT32 in a PC first.
See here
Don't use a SanDisk card.

Thanks for the answer.
1) Will I be able to use all of the 64/128Gb, right?
2) My firmware is dated 2014, will I still need to format it in Fat32 or does it read exFat format?

Thanks again

The G1W and most other 9665 based DashCams will not read exFAT.
I remember trying a 64 but not a 128

1) Will I be able to use all of the 64/128Gb, right?
A 64GB card formatted in FAT32 has about 60GB of storage space after formatting. That's the capacity that'll appear on your computer.

So, if I buy a 128Gb card and then I format it in Fat32 you have said before, will it work?
I only remember testing a 64GB while I was flashing all sorts of Firmware files from the sticky post.

I'm running my G1Wc on a Transcend 64GB Class 10 card with no problems after about 6 months time. It's in the car I use when I'm not working so it's not a "daily driver" but it gets used at least every weekend.

Phil

SanDisk now markets a card for dashcams and refuses to warranty any others used in this application. And their cards have a spotty reputation for reliability and function in Dashcams beyond what other brands do. If you've got one and it works then fine, but if you're looking to buy a card there are others (Kingston, PNY, Transcend to name a few) which have much better reputations in this usage. Plus SanDisk was the most faked card on the market not too long ago, and the cheaper cards those actually were are known to not work well if at all with dashcams.

All dashcams can be picky about which cards work with them; even with the exact same types of everything one may work and one may not. The more recommended cards simply have a better chance of working properly with every cam based on reports from users as well as those involved with manufacturing and developing these cams. We're not bashing SanDisk- they make great products- but in this application they may not be your most reliable option.

Phil

Well that sucks. Wish I would have read this before buying it :(

When I fist got mine it worked fine, but one day I took out the card and put it in my PC and took all the videos off of it and replaced it back in the cam. After that I got a red screen that said that the card was not formatted. I formatted it in the camera using the cameras formatting feature. Now every time I start the car the same screen comes up. If I unplug it and plug it back in it works fine.

The card is a SanDisk. I just ordered a PNY so we'll see when it gets here if the problem goes away.

When I fist got mine it worked fine, but one day I took out the card and put it in my PC and took all the videos off of it and replaced it back in the cam. After that I got a red screen that said that the card was not formatted.
You must have removed the folders because when you format the card in the camera it creates a folder named DCIM. If this folder isn't in the card the firmware doesn't recognize the card as formatted, even though it is.
When taking the videos off the card you must always leave the folders. You can even leave the one where the videos are saved because the next day the firmware will change it to the correct date.

Yes, that's exactly what I do. :oops:
So what's the best thing to do? Is it OK to leave the DCIM folder but delete all the folders beneath that, or should I just delete the video files only and leave all the folders?

Yes, that's exactly what I do. :oops:
So what's the best thing to do? Is it OK to leave the DCIM folder but delete all the folders beneath that, or should I just delete the video files only and leave all the folders?
Leave the DCIM folder and one of the daily folders inside it. I never tried deleting all the individual folders, just in case, but it doesn't matter if you leave them there because if they're empty the firmware deletes them and creates a new one each day.

Today I took out the SanDisk and replaced it with a PNY of the same size and speed. Turned off and on a few times and no issues. So hopefully all is well now.
Thanks all. :D

The "problem" you had with the SanDisk was due to the folder removal. Leave the folders in the card and it should work fine as well.

Back