Does the Mobius 1 typically require focusing out of the box?

j miller

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two Mobius Actioncams (https://www.ebay.com/itm/221259368601) I'm using as dashcams. They work fine, but am a little surprised at the lack of road sign and license plate clarity.

I know they can be refocused by taking the cover off, something I'm all too happy to do, although breaking the warranty seal is not something I'd prefer to do until I've used them awhile. Is it common to have to refocus these for dashcam use?

Factors such as weather conditions, vehicle speed, distance and angle of capture also need to be considered. No camera available till date can capture legible licence plates all the time.

No, typically it is not necessary to re-focus the lens out of the box. Pointing the camera at a stationary object perhaps twenty feet away when the camera is also stationary will confirm whether or not it is in focus.
You can ignore the "warranty seal". Mobius wouldn't sell you a camera with a user focusable lens and then void your warranty if you open the case to do exactly that. I always remove that seal as soon as I receive a Mobius camera as it makes it less stealthy when mounted in my vehicle.

This question about the seal sticker on the front of the Mobius 1 camera comes up from time to time and when it does I like to post this apropos Dilbert cartoon! :D

dilbert .png

No, typically it is not necessary to re-focus the lens out of the box. Pointing the camera at a stationary object perhaps twenty feet away when the camera is also stationary will confirm whether or not it is in focus.
You can ignore the "warranty seal". Mobius wouldn't sell you a camera with a user focusable lens and then void your warranty if you open the case to do exactly that. I always remove that seal as soon as I receive a Mobius camera as it makes it less stealthy when mounted in my vehicle.

This question about the seal sticker on the front of the Mobius 1 camera comes up from time to time and when it does I like to post this apropos Dilbert cartoon! :D

View attachment 34280

Love the Dilbert!

And good to know about the seal. All I see when I look at my windshield from the front it that white dot.

Back