Does your Blackvue 500 run hot?

penyekz

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Just got this cam and installed it today with power magic. Parked and checked on it after a few hours. The camera itself is pretty hot. Almost uncomfortable to touch. Is this normal?
It is set as parking mode. Any ideas?

I'm on my second 500 and they both run warm, but not hot.

Yes but cooler than my 400

Turn off compression may help

Blackvue DR500GW operates and generates some heat like other DVRs. The heat from DR500GW is not as hot as the previous versions which I have use the DR400G and the DR380G, but the heat is still there even with the new multi-air vents. Higher heat is also attributed with the exposure of unit under direct hot sun but lowered heat when the unit is operating under shelter.

Is your Blackvue hardwired? When mine was connected to the Powermagic Pro it would get a lot warmer than connecting directly through the cigarette lighter.

I do recall the MicroSD card getting very hot as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yup. Its hard wired via power magic. I wonder if the wifi makes the unit much hotter... especially after transferring files.

Milamber said:
Is your Blackvue hardwired? When mine was connected to the Powermagic Pro it would get a lot warmer than connecting directly through the cigarette lighter.

I do recall the MicroSD card getting very hot as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Under normal data transfer, data read/write, the flash card will generate heat. Hence, whether the card is used indoor or outdoor, in the car DVR or on your laptop, the heat will be there on the flash card. This is normal. You may feel the flash card is hotter on the DVR, the reason being the length of time used and exposure to outdoor heat will generate even more heat.

Hardwiring the DVR to the car fuse box is neat and proper especially when hooked onto a power monitoring device such as Power Magic/Pro which extends the DVR to continue to function when the vehicle is parked. Do note the DVR does not rest and the DVR will 'sleep' only when the g-sensor sense minimal activity during parking mode which may result in some cooling down of the DVR and the flash card. The reason why the DVR is warmer.

Back