Does your dash cam get hot during the day?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's getting super hot recently where I live. My dash cam is directly exposed to the sunlight and get pretty hot during the day. I'm afraid the components inside of it will break down. Am I making a big deal out of this or will this really become a major issue?

Yes they can get very hot, but dont worry they should do a automatic shut down if it get too hot, same as your computer or phone ASO would do, it is simple thermal protection.
But i have never experienced a camera do that to me, and my stupid little car dont even have aircon

A good quality cam with supercaps should do OK in those conditions as long as it's not running while parked and the car closed up. Once you start driving with the windows down or the A/C on you'll be fine.

Phil

I put a heat gun on my iRoad x10 and it read 86 C degrees and was still working. It was too bloody hot to even touch it. The microSD was hot too.

I've seen the specs on two different sites that says it's good to 70 C and another up to 90 C. Dunno which to believe, but mine gets close to the 90 C one (Desert sun and black interior doesn't help.). The Sony specs for the Starvis sensor inside it says up to 70 C though.

I think a 4K sensor gets pretty hot as it is. Canon has been having thermal issues with their new R5 8K camera and it shutting down after maybe 20 minutes and needing along cool down to begin operating again. On my Nikon, I've had the top info LCD turn an inky black in the sun but it cleared once cooled down. Thought it was toast for a bit, and maybe why many of these dash cams don't have a LCD display.

Indeed many cameras go hot, and often too hot too fast so you have a hard time recording what you want to record.
Linus tech tips put water cooling on a 8K RED camera, and i dont think they did it just for the giggles.

My own dji Osmo Action camera, well after a 15 minute or so 4K/60 recording session in the living room, it is so hot, not least the metal parts on the lens and the so called heat sink below it that those parts you dont really want to touch thin sensitive skin.
And i am the guy that to prove a point ( or show off ) held on to a insane hot heating pipe in a apartment, for a good 2 minutes longer than any other one was able to do.
Though that also did result in some sense problems many years after that, where i had problems feeling little things i was holding in the palm of that hand.

That BTW almost changed my all ready well established nic name to something else :) which is good i think, otherwise some might think i was some S&M freak.

A good quality cam with supercaps should do OK in those conditions as long as it's not running while parked and the car closed up. Once you start driving with the windows down or the A/C on you'll be fine.

Phil
Thanks for the tip

Most memory card operation temperature is under 85C, it is easy to reach this temperature in hot weather.
But most of the users use the consumer lever memory cards, not the industry level.

Indeed many cameras go hot, and often too hot too fast so you have a hard time recording what you want to record.
Linus tech tips put water cooling on a 8K RED camera, and i dont think they did it just for the giggles.

My own dji Osmo Action camera, well after a 15 minute or so 4K/60 recording session in the living room, it is so hot, not least the metal parts on the lens and the so called heat sink below it that those parts you dont really want to touch thin sensitive skin.
And i am the guy that to prove a point ( or show off ) held on to a insane hot heating pipe in a apartment, for a good 2 minutes longer than any other one was able to do.
Though that also did result in some sense problems many years after that, where i had problems feeling little things i was holding in the palm of that hand.

That BTW almost changed my all ready well established nic name to something else :) which is good i think, otherwise some might think i was some S&M freak.
Thanks for sharing

Back