Does your GPS work on BMW install ?

BeachNut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, installed DR650GW on a BMW but GPS will not start. Blue light flashes on power-up but then goes out. Unit is not faulty since if I plug it inon a Honda install the GPS works fine. I also plugged in a DR500GW on the BMW and GPS doesn't connect on that either. So is there something that might be blocking the GPS on BMW (eg. windscreen coating ?). I installed it just below the mirror.
Thanks.

Does your BMW have an athermic windshield? Its could be called something else by BMW but basically it is a type of glass designed to reduce heat build up in hot weather. They deposit a thin layer of metal onto or into the layers of the glass. This effectively kills the GPS signal from getting through the glass. They talk about this on the radar detector forums I frequent all the time; drastically reduces the detection range of radar detectors as well as blocking GPS signals for detectors that have GPS in them. Check your owners manual, some windscreens have "windows" in them for radar detectors and GPS devices, the owners manual will tell you where those windows are located.

Usually the black dot area doesnt have it so try to put it right under that

I have DR500GW installed in a 2012 535I with a heads up display (special windshield) and in a 2007 BMW 328I. Both of the GPS functions work without issue. On the 535 I even have a 50% tint.

Thanks - looks like it is an athermic screen and the cam is located too far away from the black dot area. Will relocate. Thanks for the help !

Did it work Always nice to post a solution if one is found Thats how we all learn

Back