Doesn't power on

mooo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this morning on my drive to work. I noticed my Nextbase 612GW wouldn't power up at all. Both the red and blue light was on. However, on my way back home it did power up. With the message stating it was "recovering" for a few seconds when started to record normally. Could it be the Parking Mode actually caused the built in battery to go flat? I have noticed when I park up and switch off the engine. The dashcam does power off as expected but suddenly goes back on again!

Attachments

• 20191023_083429422_iOS.jpg
    20191023_083429422_iOS.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 1
Could it be the Parking Mode actually caused the built in battery to go flat?
it will do that, they seem to suggest taking it inside and giving it a two hour charge from a USB power supply to get the battery up to full again, will be more of an issue for people that don't drive a lot

Hi both,

You're correct in your assumptions, Parking Mode has caused the battery to flatten. Depending on your type and duration of driving, using Parking Mode every day could flatten the battery if it's not being suitably re-charged. It can also have flattened if you've not taken it inside and charged it for a long period of time. I'd suggest taking it inside your home or office and charging it using the mains for a good 2-3 hours (whilst it's switched on). This'll fully charge the battery. If you then unplug the charger and leave the Cam on and the battery then dies within 10 minutes, you may be experiencing a battery fault, but hopefully it's just a flat battery.
Don't forget to charge it once again for 2-3 hours (on) as that test will have drained the battery.

I hope that helps,
Millie
Nextbase

I've found if you leave it in on parking mode leaving it wired to a powerbank works a treat as there's always power for it when it picks anything up on parking mode and draws power off the bank and then when it switches off the powerbank does too.

Cheers @Rickn55, great suggestion. Either a decent sized power bank, or the Dash Cam Hard Wired in will prevent the battery from draining to a level where it wouldn't activate.

I didn't fancy hard wiring mine. I'm a bit of a fuddy duddy with fiddling with car electrics as I know how awkward they can be if they start playing up. I run it off the cigarette lighter socket under the glovebox when driving with the wire hid under the roof lining and down the door etc but when I leave it on parking mode I connect it to a 5000mah power bank I got from Asda a while back for £5 on offer from £12 (gives around 7 - 8hours continuous recording on a 312GW so plenty of juice for parking modes) and hide the power bank and USB wire inside sun visor so there is nothing more visible than it just being hardwired. Always works fine for me. Left my 612 like this while I was away for 4 days last week on the driveway it only got activated once when a bird decided to leave me it's dinner on the windscreen.

I know someone will probably pipe up saying ahh you can get a 500000mah one off Ebay for £5 but personally I tend to avoid buying powerbanks etc off Ebay or makes you've never heard of, as their power capacities are no where near what they offer and you never know how safe they are when charging.
4056426100aea697a0268e3096d0836c.jpg
b1dcea6a6efccaa55936903e6bd99581.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We should all support our local businesses as much as we can, i have just for the first time gotten some computer hardware outside Denmark ( RAM )
But in Germany and at 50% price of what i paid for the last kit i just couldn't help myself, though it was probably smarter of me to have spent those money on something else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N 612GW 6
Back