Doesn't Recognize Power

pluevano

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue before. About a year ago, after a bunch of research, I ordered two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00HMNFWYW
One for my one one for the wife's car. Both have been working great. However, now the one in my wife's car does not recognize when connected to, or removed from, power. In other words, it doesn't turn on when attached to power and it doesn't turn off when power is removed. In fact, when I remove power (turn the car off), it still shows the little "connected to power" icon in the lower right corner. Unit must manually be powered on and off every time.

I've swapped between cars and confirmed it's the unit. I've tried re-formatting the SD card, and I even tried re-flashing the firmware (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ls388w-shadow-gt300w-1306180-and-others.5348/), but no joy. With the new firmware, I now have a different startup and shutdown screen, but otherwise no changes (Old startup and shutdown screen was "Black Box", now it's a red Mercedes Benz).

The odd thing is, the little power LED at the USB connection shows when the power is on and off as expected, but the unit doesn't seem to care. This did start right after we had a snap of really cold nights, if that's a factor.

Any thoughts, or am I just SOL and need to order a new one?

Thanks much!

Interesting theory. Is there a source for a replacement battery? Or a thread showing the replacement procedure?

Thanks!

I had a similar experience with my CB model. It wouldn't recognize that power was connected to the unit unless I physically held down the power button. Unit would stop functioning and recording the moment I let go of the button, I chalked it up as done.

My issues started after temperatures dipped down below zero Fahrenheit, with wind chills of -30. If the issues started right after your cold spell, I'd contribute it to the weather.

Back