Dome G98C - Review

Eugen

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hi all,

I thought I will be another buyer that is pleased with this dashcam but NO this is not the case.
I bought Dome G98C a few weeks ago as a replacement for my old G1W (Notavtek 96650), yet it is G98C the version without GPS because I don't need GPS.
I may say I'm very unsatisfied with the video quality both day and at night. My old G1W with Novatek chipset performs better. I'm really disappointed.
Somebody said that the best resolution for this cam is 1920 x 1080P(60fps), in my case 60 fps is really to much for my cam, the image is very blur. I'm using 2304 x 1296 more or less better, but not as expected.
Is it a genuine Ambarella A7LA70 Chip inside? I have doubts.

Firmware: G90-ZX-A770-1424-N7H

When the car rides on a bad surface the DVR makes an awquard sound, and the video image for milliseconds becomes unreadable.

The DVR came in a simple box, not like the one I saw from different buyers.
6CX0XtJ.jpg

YoVwGDj.jpg

bKnqlxL.jpg

3LWXBhg.jpg

Original Video Day: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6IagJ6b0c0qQkhpRGdkMmw1TEk/view
Original Video Night: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6IagJ6b0c0qUEtJOGdmYWNDYmM/view

Code:
General
Complete name                  : D:\Dome\2015-09-17-14-03-59.MP4
Format                         : MPEG-4
Format profile                 : JVT
Codec ID                       : avc1
File size                      : 520 MiB
Duration                       : 3mn 56s
Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
Overall bit rate               : 18.4 Mbps
Encoded date                   : UTC 2015-09-17 14:03:59
Tagged date                    : UTC 2015-09-17 14:03:59
AMBA                           :

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : Main@L5.0
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 1 frame
Codec ID                       : avc1
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Bit rate                       : 18.0 Mbps
Width                          : 2 304 pixels
Height                         : 1 296 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 29.970 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.201
Stream size                    : 506 MiB (97%)
Title                          : Ambarella AVC
Language                       : English
Color primaries                : BT.709
Transfer characteristics       : BT.709
Matrix coefficients            : BT.709

Audio
ID                             : 2
Format                         : AAC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                 : LC
Codec ID                       : 40
Bit rate mode                  : Constant
Bit rate                       : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                     : 2 channels
Channel positions              : Front: L R
Sampling rate                  : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode               : Lossy
Stream size                    : 3.61 MiB (1%)
Title                          : Ambarella AAC

Text
ID                             : 3
Format                         : Timed Text
Codec ID                       : text
Source duration                : 3mn 56s
Bit rate mode                  : Constant
Source stream size             : 72.1 KiB (0%)
Title                          : Ambarella EXT

Last edited:
Hi,
I cant access the google drive files. Can you look into it? I interested to buy this after the poor reliability of Mini0806 from GearBest.
They still don't send back a replace as they promised.

Hi,
I cant access the google drive files. Can you look into it? I interested to buy this after the poor reliability of Mini0806 from GearBest.
They still don't send back a replace as they promised.

I've edited the links, you can check.

Unfortunately yes the quality is awful, don't know why.

@Eugen
I use 2560x1080p almost always and video quality is much better than G1W.
I reviewed it and there is no way G1W video is better. Evem other better build Novatek based dashcams can't compete in video quality.
As for audio, G1W is better.

Check these threads for screenshots and videos. Even at youtube quality, it's great.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...a-a7la70-gps-dashcam-from-gearbest-com.13526/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dome-g90-vs-dome-gs98c-side-by-side-comparison.13593/

Try 2560x1080p and check quality.

@Eugen
I use 2560x1080p almost always and video quality is much better than G1W.
I reviewed it and there is no way G1W video is better. Evem other better build Novatek based dashcams can't compete in video quality.
As for audio, G1W is better.

Check these threads for screenshots and videos. Even at youtube quality, it's great.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...a-a7la70-gps-dashcam-from-gearbest-com.13526/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dome-g90-vs-dome-gs98c-side-by-side-comparison.13593/

Try 2560x1080p and check quality.

I bought G98C as a replacement for G1W and hoped for a much better quality, but my expectation is terrible.
Don' give me links to other reviews, I don't care about them, I have the product in my hand and I see that the video quality and it is not good at all.
Here is a sample of my old G1W, I can say that the quality is not bad at all. Here it is: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6IagJ6b0c0qNm0wQ1loWjY1WkE/edit?pli=1

Current firmware: G90-ZX-A770-1424-N7H and I don't think there is a newer one If I'm wrong please post a link to the file. Thank you.

I bought G98C as a replacement for G1W and hoped for a much better quality, but my expectation is terrible.
Don' give me links to other reviews, I don't care about them, I have the product in my hand and I see that the video quality and it is not good at all.
Here is a sample of my old G1W, I can say that the quality is not bad at all. Here it is: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6IagJ6b0c0qNm0wQ1loWjY1WkE/edit?pli=1

Current firmware: G90-ZX-A770-1424-N7H and I don't think there is a newer one If I'm wrong please post a link to the file. Thank you.
I gave links so you can look at the videos and see if it's similar to what you see in your unit.
It'll help figure out if the issue is with your unit or if you are expecting too much.
If you don't care about them then you only have your own to compare and you don't have another GS98C to compare, do you?

When you look at the screenshots at 100%, you'll see grains and that's normal.

I don't think any A7 based dashcam will have worse video quality than than G1W unless it's faulty.

Firmware are not publicly released for these so you have to go to dome site or contact manufacturer here.
http://www.szdome.com/service-faq.html

Hi Eugen, Maybe you should check your car bracket first. Sometimes the joint looses and the whole camera will shake constantly when your car pulled away. The attached picture shows the position you should check and you may need some 3M tape to fix this.
upload_2015-10-17_15-15-14.png

upload_2015-10-17_15-15-26.png

Hi Eugen, Maybe you should check your car bracket first. Sometimes the joint looses and the whole camera will shake constantly when your car pulled away. The attached picture shows the position you should check and you may need some 3M tape to fix this.
View attachment 18032

View attachment 18033

Yes, it is a little bit loose, it was since the first day I used the DVR and I don't think a brand new item has to be like this. Another issue with it is that sometimes in the morning it doesn't always automatically start recording, the DVR just just shows the startup image and then the screen becomes blank I need to unplug the cable from 12V socket and plug-it back then it starts recording.
Now about the images you gave me, mine looks different, how should I use the tape, I'm willing to try this if it will fix my problem, although practically is a brand new item.

u4TNZyL.jpg

Yes, it is a little bit loose, it was since the first day I used the DVR and I don't think a brand new item has to be like this. Another issue with it is that sometimes in the morning it doesn't always automatically start recording, the DVR just just shows the startup image and then the screen becomes blank I need to unplug the cable from 12V socket and plug-it back then it starts recording.
Now about the images you gave me, mine looks different, how should I use the tape, I'm willing to try this if it will fix my problem, although practically is a brand new item.

u4TNZyL.jpg
That one doesn't use the slide mount so no taping there.
It uses mount like G90 with charging connections from mount.
I thought GS98 doesn't have charging connections on the mount.
Yours looks like G90, even firmware mentions G90 but GS98C also uses same firmware so it maybe just another version with G90's mount..
They use same hardware though.

You may not be locking the mount properly.
You have to hold the camera and push the mount hard until you hear small click sound.
Then, it won't move.

For charging, if you are using mount's charging port, it maybe due to not locking properly.
Use the camera port and see if it still does the same thing.

That one doesn't use the slide mount so no taping there.
It uses mount like G90 with charging connections from mount.
I thought GS98 doesn't have charging connections on the mount.
Yours looks like G90, even firmware mentions G90 but GS98C also uses same firmware so it maybe just another version with G90's mount..
They use same hardware though.

You may not be locking the mount properly.
You have to hold the camera and push the mount hard until you hear small click sound.
Then, it won't move.

For charging, if you are using mount's charging port, it maybe due to not locking properly.
Use the camera port and see if it still does the same thing.

I'm locking the mount properly! It doesn't matter how hard I push I can't hear no click sound. Actually 2 times the DVR just fell down from the mount, I think there is a problem with it.
The mount is locked but when I shake it I see that there is like a gap

I'm locking the mount properly! It doesn't matter how hard I push I can't hear no click sound. Actually 2 times the DVR just fell down from the mount, I think there is a problem with it.
The mount is locked but when I shake it I see that there is like a gap
It's very hard to click.
I had same issue but once I locked it with click, it doesn't come off easily and you have to push that little tab to unlock.
If it's locked properly, the back small plastic tab will be even with mount and it won't come out unless you press the release tab:

G90 front back.jpg

Last edited:
If it can do 2560x1080p @ 30fps and 1080p @ 60fps, it should be using A7LA70 or higher.

Post sample videos to see what you are talking about on the quality.

Back