Done some research and now I need to narrow it down

Which camera is the best of the list, especially for recording legible plate #'s?

• MINI 0806

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MINI 0805

• a118c2

• a118c

• YI 2.7"

• Chupad d501

• Total voters

R0tten

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm interested in a new dash cam. My previous Cobra CDR 820 was OK and I could read license plates to my satisfaction recorded with it, but it was not reliable towards the end. During less than a year I always had power issues where the camera would reboot. What I'm looking for is what almost everyone is as well I bet; 1) Video quality, 2) Reliability, 3) License plate visibility

I've done a lot of reading throughout the forum and I've narrowed it down (I think) to the following dash cams:

MINI 0806 - I heard it's probably best to get the 0805, instead. True?
MINI 0805
a118c2
a118c - I read that the c2 version is better. True?
YI 2.7"
Chupad d501

Can you please help me classify which camera fits each description?

A) Which camera has the best chance to record legible license plates during the day?
B) Which camera is the most reliable?

C) Which camera is the best overall?

Also, are there any camera's that you do not recommend out of my list? Is there a clear winner here with regards to what I'm looking for?

For those who won't make time to answer, will you at least vote? Thanks in advance!

I don't own an of these cams but I've studied them here on DCT except for the Yi ;) Of the rest of the cams mentioned. the 0805 is said to be better than the 0806 but the battery may need replacement within a year with either one :( Viofo's A118C is supposed to be the best of that lot :) The D-501 is my fave of all these. It seems to have the best vids of this bunch and would be tempting to me in a cap-powered version but so far they're only battery powered.

Phil

Hey! Thank you and everyone for the feedback. I definitely looked at the A119V2. Great assumption because you're right.. this list is based on a budget. I found the a118c2 for $40 and the a119v2 I found for $70. I was wanting to stay under $50. From what I saw in videos and on the forum is that the a118c can record legible plates, on a good day, so it seemed equivalent to my old one :p. And I thought.. well the a118c2 would be even better. What do you think about that? Also it seems like most of the others on my list are very close to the same video quality, if not the same?

the A118C2 has a better lens than the A118, certainly a better product, was taking a punt on the budget but wouldn't have thought they were all available at $50, the bit extra for the A119 will get you a better result than any you have listed

Don't be too cheap............ The A119s V2 is far and beyond

I'm a 'fanboy' of the cheaper cams by necessity :rolleyes: But I also understand that you do not get what you do not pay for, so if a particular feature or performance level is critical then that needs to take precedence over budget ;) The A119V2 will outperform all the cams you mentioned significantly, and at little more cost overall. Cheap can be good only when it does the job you want it to do. If it doesn't do that job then it's money needlessly wasted :( Save up for another week or two and get a better cam if you can. If that's not possible then get the D-501 or if you need caps because of the heat where you live the A118C2 might be better. Just know that you're compromising something of what you want if you do that.

Phil

Back