Don't own this Camera but Parking Mode Question

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Does the DR900X support real time recording in parking mode (30FPS) that runs continuously or is parking mode event based and motion based ONLY? I do know a 1 FPS option exist (Time lapse).

According to the product page the camera support 2 parking modes
1: A combination of motion and impact.
2: 1 FPS time Lapse.

Down near the bottom of the page.
" DR900X Series supports two Parking Mode options:"

Seem like 3 modes though as it also say under time lapse mode " When an impact is detected, the dashcam creates a buffered Event video"

According to the product page the camera support 2 parking modes
1: A combination of motion and impact.
2: 1 FPS time Lapse.

Down near the bottom of the page.
" DR900X Series supports two Parking Mode options:"

Seem like 3 modes though as it also say under time lapse mode " When an impact is detected, the dashcam creates a buffered Event video"

Saw that but I see videos on youtube of real time recording. I wonder if that only activates with Motion.

Yeah. I would assume the motion / impact combo are regular 30 FPS video saved, just like dashcams always have been.
The time lapse i assume is like the low bitrate option in some cameras, but then those just save low bitrate as the event file too, the BV camera i think transition from 1 FPS time lapse to 30 FPS for the G sensor event itself.
But that on the other hand make me wonder, doing this in other cameras i seem to recall there being a gap in the footage as the camera transition to regular recording so in that case maybe what was before the event is only there as 1 FPS time lapse instead of a 30 FPS buffer, CUZ i dont think the system can do 1FPS and at the same time do 30 FPS in the background for the buffer to be ready for a event.

I am speculating though, i also have no experience with the BV cameras.

Yeah. I would assume the motion / impact combo are regular 30 FPS video saved, just like dashcams always have been.
The time lapse i assume is like the low bitrate option in some cameras, but then those just save low bitrate as the event file too, the BV camera i think transition from 1 FPS time lapse to 30 FPS for the G sensor event itself.
But that on the other hand make me wonder, doing this in other cameras i seem to recall there being a gap in the footage as the camera transition to regular recording so in that case maybe what was before the event is only there as 1 FPS time lapse instead of a 30 FPS buffer, CUZ i dont think the system can do 1FPS and at the same time do 30 FPS in the background for the buffer to be ready for a event.

I am speculating though, i also have no experience with the BV cameras.

Me Neither. I don't think this camera will record continuous like a Viofo in parking mode, but I could be wrong.

Trying to guide someone looking at cameras. They wanted to know about blackvue and I don't have experience with them. I do know Viofo offers continuous parking recording that isn't dependent on Motion or Events to activate.

Does Blackvue do the same?

I dont think so, though many others do seem to offer the low bitrate recording, which i also prefer myself.

@Vortex Radar would probably be the guy to know, i think he have tested several of these smart cameras.

Does the DR900X support real time recording in parking mode (30FPS) that runs continuously or is parking mode event based and motion based ONLY? I do know a 1 FPS option exist (Time lapse).

I have this cam.

Short answer: It does not continuously record real-time in parking mode. There is only event/motion-based and 1 FPS time lapse.

In event/motion-based parking mode the cam is actively capturing normal video but not writing it.

The unblinking eye is always watching, but only when a motion or impact event occurs does it dump a few seconds of that captured (buffered) video at the start of a one-minute parking file that it does dump to the memory card. There's no built-in way to access that continuous parking mode stream through the firmware otherwise.

All their documentation states "*The BlackVue constantly keeps the last few seconds of video in its buffer memory so as to catch the actions that led to the trigger." I can't really tell from looking at my recordings how many the "...last few..." is. Haven't seen them publish an actual number anywhere.

Here's their comprehensive description of how it works, and this is more than is in the manual: https://blackvue.com/blackvue-dashcam-parking-mode/

I have this cam.

Short answer: It does not continuously record real-time in parking mode. There is only event/motion-based and 1 FPS time lapse.

In event/motion-based parking mode the cam is actively capturing normal video but not writing it.

The unblinking eye is always watching, but only when a motion or impact event occurs does it dump a few seconds of that captured (buffered) video at the start of a one-minute parking file that it does dump to the memory card. There's no built-in way to access that continuous parking mode stream through the firmware otherwise.

All their documentation states "*The BlackVue constantly keeps the last few seconds of video in its buffer memory so as to catch the actions that led to the trigger." I can't really tell from looking at my recordings how many the "...last few..." is. Haven't seen them publish an actual number anywhere.

Here's their comprehensive description of how it works, and this is more than is in the manual: https://blackvue.com/blackvue-dashcam-parking-mode/

That's what I thought. 1 FPS (time lapse), motion detection, and event based with buffering mode. I do see where if you set the motion detection to high, that it can keep the camera actively recording IF SOMETHING in the frame is moving.

That's what I thought. 1 FPS (time lapse), motion detection, and event based with buffering mode. I do see where if you set the motion detection to high, that it can keep the camera actively recording IF SOMETHING in the frame is moving.

That is true for all practical purposes.

Parking in front of a tree on a windy day or in a parking lot looking out onto a busy street will provide hours of video enjoyment...

The cloud notifications will drive you mad until you find the right settings...

Back