Doubts in DR650GW/S 2CH purchase

ManuMCoupe

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi everybody

I’m new in this forum and in the dashcam world. After weeks of reading, I’m decided to purchase the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH model + Power Magic Pro (or similar as Vico Power Plus)

I only have a couple of doubts:

I see that there’s a new model on the market, the DR650S-2CH

What’s the difference with the GW model?

Does it worth go for it instead the GW model?

My idea is to get the 128gb pack, or the 64gb

Which capacity do you recommend?

Is it 64gb enough?

Thanks ^^

Welcome ManuM!
A comparison post has just been issued by Blackvue about the differences between the GW and S series. Hardware appears to be the same, so no change in image 'quality', which is what many people are complaining about: https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-series-vs-dr650gw-series-comparison/

64Gb is more than enough for most of us, even using highest quality image. To keep the cost down, I'd go for the 16Gb kit (or without card), and then buy a compatible 64Gb card elsewhere. For example, a 64Gb Lexar card is about £15 or 17 Euro, not sure how that compares with buying the 64Gb kit where you are?

With all the image quality issues, however, I'd leave Blackvue and go for the new Thinkware F770 or even the slightly older F750 model. A bit bigger than the Blackvue but very good spec...

Welcome ManuM!
A comparison post has just been issued by Blackvue about the differences between the GW and S series. Hardware appears to be the same, so no change in image 'quality', which is what many people are complaining about: https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-series-vs-dr650gw-series-comparison/

64Gb is more than enough for most of us, even using highest quality image. To keep the cost down, I'd go for the 16Gb kit (or without card), and then buy a compatible 64Gb card elsewhere. For example, a 64Gb Lexar card is about £15 or 17 Euro, not sure how that compares with buying the 64Gb kit where you are?

With all the image quality issues, however, I'd leave Blackvue and go for the new Thinkware F770 or even the slightly older F750 model. A bit bigger than the Blackvue but very good spec...

Thank you

I'll have a look to the Thinkware website ^^

I own the DR650GW-2CH and I don't agree on the image quality, now they increased the bitrate up to 10Mb in the latest firmware. Not that I have much comparison but I am more then happy with the quality as it is now.

I thought the lens was different on the S model as well, but the article on the BlackVue site doesn't mention it so I might be wrong. I say this because I have read some issues on this board about focusing and headlights glare which I do not recognize. That off course also might be an individual issue or maybe depending on the car (or type of headlights) but you might want to look it up.

Good luck making a decision! :rolleyes:

BTW, I use 128GB cards (Sandisk, not recommended by most readers of this board but I have no issues so far) and it records almost 19 hours non-stop at the highest quality, from both the front and back camera.

19 hours is LOT of driving! Good to hear you're happy with the image quality from your DR650, it's been a bone of contention for many people on this site from some time. My Mini 0806 still spits out a cleaner image (up to about 12.5Mbs from the single camera) than my DR650, although it's not quite as clear at night.
I haven't road tested the new 2.005 firmware yet, but from initial bench tests, there's nothing noticeable over the the earlier versions...

There is so much models, it's not easy to make a choice. The thinkware F770 looks great too, but it looks bulkier than DR650. But the fact that both cameras (front-rear) are 1080p seems to be a better choice. I have to study everything a little bit more xDDDD. Thanks for comments

Enviado desde mi MI NOTE LTE mediante Tapatalk

There is so much models, it'
s not easy to make a choice. The thinkware F770 looks great too, but it looks bulkier than DR650. But the fact that both cameras (front-rear) are 1080p seems to be a better choice. I have to study everything a little bit more xDDDD. Thanks for comments

In my opinion the rear of the F770 is where you really see the advantage. Especially for cars with tinted windows, my DR650GW-2CH was pretty useless at night with 20% tint and the F750/770 are much better in that department
In terms of size, the F770 is about the size of a deck of cards. In some ways it's bigger than the Blackvue, some ways smaller.
I think front video is pretty similar now that Blackvue has increased it to 10 Mbps. The WiFi integration is also very good with Blackvue now compared to 3 years ago when it was kinda flakey.

If it's hot where you are, the F750/770 should hold up better

In my opinion the rear of the F770 is where you really see the advantage. Especially for cars with tinted windows, my DR650GW-2CH was pretty useless at night with 20% tint and the F750/770 are much better in that department
In terms of size, the F770 is about the size of a deck of cards. In some ways it's bigger than the Blackvue, some ways smaller.
I think front video is pretty similar now that Blackvue has increased it to 10 Mbps. The WiFi integration is also very good with Blackvue now compared to 3 years ago when it was kinda flakey.

Thanks for the tip of the tinted windows, because my car have it too.

Does the F770 have parking mode?

Totally agree on this.

Does the F770 have parking mode?
Yes sir. Need to do hardwired to get it works. Got burnt once....... :(

But honestly, they are almost the same, just S has better packaging.
Agree with the packing. Far better now with all the instruction etc. I think they use different lenses (not sure)

I say this because I have read some issues on this board about focusing and headlights glare which I do not recognize. That off course also might be an individual issue or maybe depending on the car (or type of headlights) but you might want to look it up.
Agree with you on this. Back home one of our fellow enthusiast had tried in different type (SUV, Asian Sedan and a MB) using the same cam at the almost same location possible, you have 3 different results.

For me, I still go with Blackvue. No offence guys.

Back