download via wifi so slow

collins4u

Reaction score
Country
France
I juste received my dash cam, amazing !
Just one problem, why download dash video via wifi is so slow ?
My phone is RedmiNote5 , i tried donwload video with the VifoHotspot-5G of my dashcam
3minutes for 60Mb.
Something strange, when I see live of my dashcam, the speed is around 1.2Mb/s (good!)
But when I donwload data from sd card via wifi, is around 350Kb/s. If I read the sdcard directly on my laptop i get more than 5Mb/s for sure!
Anyone has this problem ?

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
Maybe try not using the 5G...

I have had up to 12MB per second from the A129 Pro to my computer, average over a file. Phone wifi might be limited by the wifi channel width the phone can use, 5G isn't always the fastest.

OP
collins4u

collins4u

Reaction score
Country
France
ok,
Good suggestion;). I'll try with my laptop 2.4G & 5G and i'll give results there...

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
Need to remember, these are big files, if you want to access a lot of them then transfer the memory card!
Downloading one or two files to the phone as a backup of something important, or to share it, should be feasible though.

OP
collins4u

collins4u

Reaction score
Country
France
I really want to avoid to set/unset the sd card and I just expect to be able to tacle easily one or two files after a "bad event" (by wifi!).

Last edited:

smiley1081

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I really want to avoid to set/unset the sd card and I just expect to be able to tacle easily one or two files after a "bad event".
Dismount the whole camera and connect it to the PC...

OP
collins4u

collins4u

Reaction score
Country
France
After some tests, i can conclude about WIFI for my phone (RedmiNote5) :
*Wifi-5G is very slow : ~300kO/s => bug with my phone (i can reach 4Mo/s with my own internet) ?
*Wifi-2.4G quite good : ~2.2Mo/s => enough for what i'm expecting to do with this dashcam :)

PS : like Smiley1081 suggest i'm expecting "Dismount the whole camera and connect it to the PC... " to read the 3.5 harddrive hided inside o_O

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
That is a bit disappointing, but at least it is usable in emergencies.

I normally do as Smiley suggested and plug the camera into the computer, but it is still not fast because the camera is a very slow card reader, you will get 20MB per second maximum. If you have a USB 3 UHS card reader then that can be 4x the speed of the camera. For me the camera is fast enough.

OP
collins4u

collins4u

Reaction score
Country
France
Yes I understand, but I spend a lot of time to select the best compromise for me :
=>A119 V3 best quality video for cheap price but no wifi, so you have to unset the SDCARD when you want to get one or two video (i don't want!)
=> A129 Plus Duo lower video quality (I confirm !) but wifi and a second camera. I bought this one especially for the wifi (the rear camera helped me to take the final décision), that's why i'm quite disapointed by the wifi speed.

Another fact, i can report : The wifi speed can reach 5 or 6Mo/s when you do live video, so clearly like Nigel suggest A129 Plus Duo read sd card very slowly.

smiley1081

Reaction score
Country
Italy
As I said before, I almost never remove the SD, I remove the whole 119V3, the contacts a more robust.

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I have always taken the memory card out, though at times i have also take the camera out as i had so many cameras, and the little cards are a pain to handle in the car.
But ! always taken the memory card out to read it in my card reader, that way i can also play footage from the memory card directly, that is not for sure you can do if you play from a devise in mass storage mode.

Even 100 mbit 4K /60 footage from my action camera i can play from the memory card in the reader with no lag, and copying footage off i get upwards of the memory cards mas speed of 80 Mb/s
Which are a big deal for me if i have to copy several GB of footage.
But just browsing a memory card and grabbing a single file or two noow and then, that you can do via the slow wifi on most cameras or a camera in mass storage mode, which is also slow compared to a good USB 3.0 reader like mine.

OP
collins4u

collins4u

Reaction score
Country
France
Ok, i'll keep in mind all your habits coz I'm a fresh dashcam user :)
My insurance cover largerly the robery of my camera, so i'll let it inside with parking mode enable...