Download videos from Thinkware over LAN - Possible?

AS400

Reaction score
Country
United States
All, Greetings!

I'm new to this forum but no stranger to "dashcams".

My question is around downloading video files from my Thinkware (F800 PRO) over my local area network (LAN).
I know I can connect directly to the camera via WiFi using my smartphone and download files but the idea here is different.

Here is the background:
With my Blackvue cameras, I'm able to download files through the CLOUD as a feature from that camera brand but beyond that, I can download videos from them using a simple script in Linux or OSX to connect directly to the camera's IP within the LAN and from there pull all videos daily. That being a script, can also run via cron job and automatically download all videos daily after I arrive home from work. It gets even more complex with automated file deletion and etc but I only want you to understand what I'm attempting to do here.

I havent fully done my homework on Thinkware cameras and I will further check if by checking the IP my router sees when I have it connected at home.
So my question is: Has anyone in this forum attempted to download videos from a Thinkware camera through the LAN? Is it even possible?

I'm moving away from Blackvue cameras due to the recording gap they have on the rear-view camera files (design flaw Blackvue is aware of and doesn't seem to be bothered with).
Thinkwares don't have that design fault.

Thank you all in advance.

I’ve only had my TW camera a short time however cloud is a feature, you need the hotspot connected upload which again due to install problems I haven’t tested

I will be cracking this Friday so I will post actual functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Andymc1971,
I'm also new to Thinkware but, so far, it looks like their Cloud feature only allows for map tracking with the app. I don't see it working for Liveview or file review and download. Let me know what you findout please.
Thanks for replying as well.

I found a way to telnet into the camera and also located the directory in which all mp4 video files are saved. The main drawback is (one of them) this model does not keep the WiFi connection on while in Parking Mode. Perhaps to save battery power?
So even if I come up with a fancy script to download files here are the 2 main issues:
No WiFi while parked at home
No FTP ports are open

Reactions: RLS
Quick update.
I've emailed Thinkware support asking for the following "features".

1) Implement option to keep WiFi enabled during parking mode (even if that means further battery consumption).
2) Implement option to control / reduce microphone gain.

Best,
E

Reactions: RLS
The main drawback is (one of them) this model does not keep the WiFi connection on while in Parking Mode. Perhaps to save battery power?
Probably due to heat and power consumption.

Quick update.
I've emailed Thinkware support asking for the following "features".

1) Implement option to keep WiFi enabled during parking mode (even if that means further battery consumption).
2) Implement option to control / reduce microphone gain.

Best,
E

Maybe they could also implement turning on the hotspot temporarily only on impact, to:
1) inform user
2) upload snapshots of the impact video instead of full video (option for people with slow connections)
3) upload impact video to cloud

Ive emailed Thinkware support ( support@thinkware.com) on August 30 2018 making suggestions for cloud features etc.
No one bothered responding. I’m starting to believe they are a cheap business.

Ive emailed Thinkware support ( support@thinkware.com) on August 30 2018 making suggestions for cloud features etc.
No one bothered responding. I’m starting to believe they are a cheap business.

Hi There,

We do strive to answer every inquiry we receive. We apologize for you not getting a reply. We would be happy to hear about any suggestions you have for future models and firmware updates. Kind Regards, Thinkware Customer Support

Hello,

Sorry to raise the dead on this thread, but I'm trying to access the files from my u1000 over my WiFi network. I'm able to connect using telnet, but it is prompting me for a username and password. We're you prompted for one? If so do you remember what the username and password were?

Thank you

Back