DP100 v's DP200

R

Richard Ayrton

Reading various reviews of both these cameras, I wonder what the actual difference in picture quality is.....there are contradictory reviews which says the 100 is better in low light conditions and bright sunshine, then others saying the 200 is superior.

I get that one has wifi and a capacitor, and the other doesn't; however for picture quality do the experiencd members who have a trained eye think there is a difference? Good prices for these two with warranties - I'm not too bothered about wifi, but prefer the better quality image.

Thanks.

Having seen footage from both, I don't think there's enough difference to tip the decision.

The decision for me would come down to:

1. Small capacitor (DP200 - only holds date/time for 4-5 days according to manual) or large battery (DP100).
2. Wifi (DP200) or not (DP100) - may be able to use wifi to reset time/date if lost due to several days without use.
3. Lens positioned in the middle of the cam (DP200) or at the top of the cam (DP100) could influence how/where you can mount it for the best view.
4. Slightly wider field of view (DP200) but nowhere near the 30-degrees difference claimed when they say DP200 has 160' vs 130' for the DP100; looks like 10-degrees difference to me, probably due to confusion between diagonal angle and horizontal angle.

Good cams for the money though. My car and my wife's car have a DP100 in the rear due to the adhesive mount being required to stick to the heating wire ridges (most suction mounts fall off within a couple of hours).

My car and my wife's car have a DP100 in the rear due to the adhesive mount being required to stick to the heating wire ridges (most suction mounts fall off within a couple of hours).

When the time eventually comes to remove the adhesive mounts, I hope the heating elements don't get damaged in the process.

When the time eventually comes to remove the adhesive mounts, I hope the heating elements don't get damaged in the process.

I transplanted my DP100 from my previous car without a problem, although I had deliberately placed the mount between the heating wires in the hope of avoiding any problems.
I used a round-tipped/blunt knife and gradually prised off the adhesive which was like a cross between rubber and chewing gum.
The adhesive wasn't re-usable (although next time I might try to be more careful), however Transcend provide a second adhesive pad. Alternatively, new adhesive mounts can be purchased.

Back