DP220 suddenly making blurry image

tohis

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hi guys,

My two years old DP220 suddenly started to make blurry image. At morning when I went to work it was OK, but at the afternoon when returning home the recorded video was blurry, except the edge of dashboard at the lower corner which was exceptionally sharp. I took it out and cleaned the lens and windshield, and made some test video and the image was again like before. At the next day it did it again - sharp at morning, blurry at afternoon.

It was sunny day, about 24C (75F) and the camera was facing direct sunlight for hours. Could that have damaged it? It definitely wasn't the first time being toasted in hot interior, but enough is enough? AFAIK these have a fixed focus lens, so any dirt in the windshield should not make it to focus any closer?

2019_0620_141304_003.jpg

Hi guys,

My two years old DP220 suddenly started to make blurry image. At morning when I went to work it was OK, but at the afternoon when returning home the recorded video was blurry, except the edge of dashboard at the lower corner which was exceptionally sharp. I took it out and cleaned the lens and windshield, and made some test video and the image was again like before. At the next day it did it again - sharp at morning, blurry at afternoon.

It was sunny day, about 24C (75F) and the camera was facing direct sunlight for hours. Could that have damaged it? It definitely wasn't the first time being toasted in hot interior, but enough is enough? AFAIK these have a fixed focus lens, so any dirt in the windshield should not make it to focus any closer?

View attachment 46857
I'd say it's high temperature issue. Dunno if the damage is permanent or is it just temporary focus shift due to heat expansion of various components.

That appears to be heat-related focus shift, which is usually temporary until things cool down.

If the camera expands slightly so that the lens moves away from the sensor, the focus point will move closer so that distant objects become blurred.

Update: I took the camera apart, and found the lens being in a threaded pipe, which is locked in place by some drops of glue. With a sharp knife I removed most of that glue and then rotated whole pipe (not only the top lens) about 15 degrees clockwise, hoping to get the focus a bit more away so it wouldn't go blurry as easily.

After assembling the camera back into one piece, it still seems to make as sharp image as before, and after being again parked in sunshine one day it didn't go blurry. Whether I got the focus where it should have been, or if something was a bit loose and is now tightened, looks like the problem is solved for now. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Transcend 0
ThePro Transcend 0
Back