DPS sergeant stops wrong-way driver with vehicle

nice hope he/she never get to drive again, and have to pay for a new police car.
There are no excuse for going the wrong way when you have passed 1 car, you should by then at least stop.

Unacceptable driving by the Police car I think! Forced the camera car off the road which could have turned nasty, even if it was done for good reason. Causing a head on collision with the wrong way driver also seems rather dangerous, could at least of gone into reverse to reduce the impact.

The general public is supposed to give way and it could've been worse had the bystander crashed head-on with the other driver at speed. The cruiser appeared to be moving slowly, had lights on and positioned to obstruct as much of the road as practical in an effort to get the wrong way driver to stop. It seemed more like the driver swerved at the last second causing the head-on rather than trying to stop.

As for the suggestion of the trooper using reverse to lessen the impact, that's impractical and risks his own vehicle going out of control on impact rather than just keeping his foot on the brake pedal. Also the risk to the motorists behind him would be greater had the trooper allowed the wrong way driver to pass because he was attempting this dubious maneuver.

KuoH

Unacceptable driving by the Police car I think! Forced the camera car off the road which could have turned nasty, even if it was done for good reason.

He "forced" the camera off the road, but i would not say it was out of line, this means of driving S in front of or behind a vehicle are quite common in the US to make sure no one else get involved.
It was also used recently to stop the drunk and sleeping guy in his Tesla going down a HWY in auto mode, and still it was hard to get the damn thing to stop apparently.

"The officers slowed the car down after running a traffic break, with an officer behind Samek turning on emergency lights before driving across all lanes of the highway, in an S-shaped path, to slow traffic down behind the Tesla, Montiel said. "

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/a...ept-while-Tesla-drove-Hwy-101-on-13435295.php

He "forced" the camera off the road, but i would not say it was out of line, this means of driving S in front of or behind a vehicle are quite common in the US to make sure no one else get involved.
It was also used recently to stop the drunk and sleeping guy in his Tesla going down a HWY in auto mode, and still it was hard to get the damn thing to stop apparently.

"The officers slowed the car down after running a traffic break, with an officer behind Samek turning on emergency lights before driving across all lanes of the highway, in an S-shaped path, to slow traffic down behind the Tesla, Montiel said. "

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/a...ept-while-Tesla-drove-Hwy-101-on-13435295.php
Surly if they want to stop a Tesla, all they need is a red traffic light mounted on the back of the police car?
And if that doesn't work, just put the brakes on and the Tessla's autonomous braking will bring it to a stop with the driver unable to override it.

In this case the car they were stopping clearly didn't have autonomous braking,

That is what i was thinking too, but apparently a Tesla do not really have any code in regard to emergency vehicles, pretty shocking if you ask me.
I know its not a autonomous vehicle, but still i would have guessed there was something in the driving aid mode that would react accordingly to emergency vehicles flashing and sound.
So i figured they boxed the Tesla in and then slowed down, cuz it can react according to the traffic around it.

Back