DR500 firmware 2.0 Mac version.

e350 coupe

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anyone know where I can get a mac version of the newest 2.0 firmware for the dr500. I checked with BlackVue and they only have the software for viewing in mac, and not the Mac version of the firmware

I have looked at these instructions

To do this correctly, locate the file you want to unpack in Finder, secondary click on it, select 'Copy Path' from the drop-down menu, then select 'Terminal Path' from the further drop-down. Now, open Terminal and type "unzip" (without quotation marks), space, then press [command] and [v] - the correct path to your file will be pasted; press enter. Done. You will find a new folder in you home directory - that's your unpacked Windows .exe file.

I have the file on my desktop of my mac and when I right click I do not get an option of "copy path", what am I doing wrong???

I only get copy and burn options and the file is listed as

DR-500-HD_2.001E(2014.04.03)_Setup.exe 47.7 MB

It does not show as a Zip file

I tried to post a screen shot, however file was too large 1.2 mb

I really want to learn how to do this, rather then have someone do it for me as was in the past post

thanks for the help

the computer I am using is a Macbook Pro 15" early 2014

Are you talking about the DR 500 HD or the DR 500 HD GW because the firmware is different after I downloaded the wrong one yesterday.

I finally gave up on this, I tried 2 different Mac computers and got the same results. It is really odd that BlackVue/Pittasoft supports the Mac but does not provide a Mac version of the firmware.

And thanks to Hillybilly I just realized that there is a DR-500-HD version and a DR-500-GW-HD version of the firmware, probably like most people I just saw the first version which is the DR-500-HD and downloaded it. I now realize that the GW version is for GPW and WiFi versions.

Thanks Hillbilly, I have no idea if I was able to load in-correct firmware what problems I would have had then.

Anyone know where I can get a mac version of the newest 2.0 firmware for the dr500. I checked with BlackVue and they only have the software for viewing in mac, and not the Mac version of the firmware

Hi,

At this stage the BlackVue firmware upgrades can only be carried out on a Windows operating system, with the viewing software available on both Windows & MAC. Pittasoft are aware that MAC users are asking for an option to upgrade the firmware on their MAC computers and it is being worked on. However the task is quite large with there being so many variants of MAC systems. BlackVue still remain the only manufacturer to actively develop MAC software which can be hard to maintain in South Korea being such an Android dominated demographic with few MAC developers available.

Thank you.

Hi,

At this stage the BlackVue firmware upgrades can only be carried out on a Windows operating system, with the viewing software available on both Windows & MAC. Pittasoft are aware that MAC users are asking for an option to upgrade the firmware on their MAC computers and it is being worked on. However the task is quite large with there being so many variants of MAC systems. BlackVue still remain the only manufacturer to actively develop MAC software which can be hard to maintain in South Korea being such an Android dominated demographic with few MAC developers available.

Thank you.

Thanks for answering

First of all I know little about the PC environment however I have had Mac's since 1985 and worked for the Canadian Government for over 10 years with it. Being retired I lost most of the information, that had previously made me an expert in that field.

To my knowledge there is only 1 current Mac operating system, there are numerous upgrade paths with the latest software version being 10.9.2. Unlike the PC environment where you have windows, windows XP windows 7 and windows 8 etc. Mac have basically evolved with a very minimal upgrade fee if any at all. Most everyone I know is running Mac OS 10 and almost all have upgraded to 10.9 or better. I think the most I have ever paid for a new operating system was $29.99, and I have received numerous upgrades free of charge directly from Apple.

As for what the Mac environment is asking for is the ability to simply down load the firmware file that can be placed directly on our micro SD card to then be placed in our camera to have the update.

I fail to see why I need to install an executable file on my computer, this is a simple copy or drag command.

I attempted to take the downloaded file from your site to 2 friend's computers, and on both instances I was unable to do so, as the program insisted on installing software on their computer which required administer level authorization. In my case both people were using work computers that prevented any such action, thus no luck.

Is it really that hard for BlackVue to simply have the file necessary to be on the micro SD card not available for download by mac users.

I really think someone is over thinking what is required for Mac users.

Previously a kind PC/Mac person was able to post on this site the necessary file needed for download on either a PC or Mac environment, and all was required was to have this file installed on the card and inserted into the camera which updated the firmware. Why can this simply not be done by BlackVue?

A extremely frustrated customer

Agreed! All it takes is a little script app with the firmware payload to copy the files to the SD card. It could be done as an AppleScript Studio app or in whatever scripting language. No major Mac OS development skills needed. It's just a matter of wanting to do it rather than finding rare talent. Sounds rather like Windows-centric thinking by BlackVue as opposed to the available developer community.

BTW the singular is Mac (short for Macintosh), plural Macs. No all caps or apostrophes required ;-)

Hi all,

Thanks for the corrections, however you're not speaking with Pittasoft head office, we are their Australian rep. But I am aware of your concerns and suggestions and will do what I can to get this message through to them in future R&D.

Hope that was a sufficient response.

Thank you.

I think most if us understand that you are the Aussie reps. Thank you for your input and participation! Now if you can point the real BlackVue to this thread, maybe we can get somewhere ;-)

Back