DR500 GPS not found

Dscheng

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR500 with Custom firmware / Stamp
Hi all,

My DR500 is having issue with GPS signal. Even in open space, the GPS also cannot be detected. NO blue light too. But when starting up the device, it has the blue light.

Any solution? Sigh.. Mine is the korea set, which i believe no warranty. Unless i send back to korea.

Where have you got it mounted on the screen

Some cars have an area that prevents signals like GPS getting through and it has to be mounted carefully to avoid this Some cars have whole screens that prevent this.

Plug it in and hold it OUTSIDE the car and see if it picks the signal up. First make sure you have it set to the correct time zone or it can take forever to pick up the signal

Previously it is ok. But maybe due to high temp parking. The gps suddenly cant detect. I even try to plug on external power supply on a high n open area. Still no luck. **sigh

Dscheng said:
Previously it is ok. But maybe due to high temp parking. The gps suddenly cant detect. I even try to plug on external power supply on a high n open area. Still no luck. **sigh

GPS chipsets are generally rated for much higher temps than anything else in the camera, shouldn't have been a problem

Dscheng said:
Hi all,

My DR500 is having issue with GPS signal. Even in open space, the GPS also cannot be detected. NO blue light too. But when starting up the device, it has the blue light.

Any solution? Sigh.. Mine is the korea set, which i believe no warranty. Unless i send back to korea.

Regarding the abnormal termination of Blackvue DR500GW-HD GPS, this symptom occurs and is prominent once the DVR overheats or after prolong continuous use; and the unit will shut-off. After the DVR has been restarted, the DVR's GPS will malfunction or goes into limp GPS mode. At this junction, the way to fix the DVR's GPS malfunction issue is to have the unit sent back for a 1-1 unit replacement. I am not aware of other method to reset the DVR and fix this issue.

My unit also encounters loss of GPS signal. Blue light is on during initialization but goes missing after that.

lawlyh said:
My unit also encounters loss of GPS signal. Blue light is on during initialization but goes missing after that.

Where did you purchase your DVR from? Is this a locally purchased unit from the AD?

Dscheng said:
Hi all,

Which supplier did you purchase your DVR from? What was his advice on this issue?

Bought it from AD in Singapore. Replaced one for one when the first one encountered problem. However, GPS signal lost again on the 2nd unit after a few days of usage. I suspect it could be due to overheating issue. However, the strange thing is my colleagues' units have no problem whatsoever.

lawlyh said:
Bought it from AD in Singapore. Replaced one for one when the first one encountered problem. However, GPS signal lost again on the 2nd unit after a few days of usage. I suspect it could be due to overheating issue. However, the strange thing is my colleagues' units have no problem whatsoever.
Luckily u brought from AD. Mine is the PI unit. Guess the GPS issue is really giving me headache. Well i think i have to live with it. Just no speed indicator. So long it can be record. Anyway i 24 hr/7 on the recorder, i guess it might be the GPS chip burnt.

It is frustrating to know that the unit comes equipped with GPS but yet it is not working. I don't think the speed display is of much importance as we can actually hide it so that it does not show in the video recorded. Hopefully they can resolve this issue asap... :oops:

Dscheng said:
lawlyh said:
Luckily u brought from AD. Mine is the PI unit. Guess the GPS issue is really giving me headache. Well i think i have to live with it. Just no speed indicator. So long it can be record. Anyway i 24 hr/7 on the recorder, i guess it might be the GPS chip burnt.

No wonder its fried if you have it going 24/7 they are not really built for that and neither is your car battery.

You will run it flat if you do that.

Why would you want it going all the time anyway

Hillbilly said:
Dscheng said:
lawlyh said:

No wonder its fried if you have it going 24/7 they are not really built for that and neither is your car battery.

You will run it flat if you do that.

Why would you want it going all the time anyway

parking mode leaves the GPS active all the time, Blackvue also have the power magic product specifically for this purpose, they are intended to be used 24/7 if that's what the customer wants

lawlyh said:
It is frustrating to know that the unit comes equipped with GPS but yet it is not working. I don't think the speed display is of much importance as we can actually hide it so that it does not show in the video recorded. Hopefully they can resolve this issue asap... :oops:

I do not understand the question that needs to be hidden?!
The stamp is deactivated in the program BlackVue Pitasoft

I mean if you had been speeding and you got into an unfortunate accident, your video will show your speed and it could be unfavourable to you. Blackvue apps allows you to hide the speed display if you want it that way. However, if your GPS is not even working, you don't have your speed and position coordinate captured like my unit now.

stupid piece of crap. my GPS has now stopped working, hasnt worked for a week now.
what to do?? just send back for replacement?? im going to go for full refund as its a load of crap this new camera. running original firmware as well.

wozzzzza said:
stupid piece of crap. my GPS has now stopped working, hasnt worked for a week now.
what to do?? just send back for replacement?? im going to go for full refund as its a load of crap this new camera. running original firmware as well.

At this junction, the way to fix the DVR's GPS malfunction issue is to have the unit sent back for a 1-1 unit replacement. I am not aware of other method to reset the DVR and fix this issue.

There is no fix at the moment for this GPS issue...Only can exchange one-for-one with your AD. My advice is to off the Blackvue unit completely when you are parking in open space for prolonged period of time. No recording whatsoever so that you do not risk your GPS chip getting burnt again.

lawlyh said:
My advice is to off the Blackvue unit completely when you are parking in open space for prolonged period of time. No recording whatsoever so that you do not risk your GPS chip getting burnt again.
defeats the purpose of what the unit is designed and being used for really. they should design it properly in the first place.
i am going to send back for repair, then when i get it back i will sell it and get something else, sick to death of pittasoft blackvue and their beta garbage that doesnt work properly.

wozzzzza said:
lawlyh said:
My advice is to off the Blackvue unit completely when you are parking in open space for prolonged period of time. No recording whatsoever so that you do not risk your GPS chip getting burnt again.
defeats the purpose of what the unit is designed and being used for really. they should design it properly in the first place.
i am going to send back for repair, then when i get it back i will sell it and get something else, sick to death of pittasoft blackvue and their beta garbage that doesnt work properly.

Blackvue cameras cant be that bad as I have bought 6 of them in different models and all are still working fine and the oldest is about 2 years.

My local average temperature is 28C with highs up to high 30's so car temps get high. Was in car in the USA in Summer when outside temp was 41 and it didnt fail so dont know why some seem to have so much trouble.

Back