DR500 GPS not found

I might have been mistaken about no warranty thru dreamseller.. Just glad the battery removal fixed it in my case. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a common problem with the 500s!

camMO said:
So my DR500 lost GPS recently too. I bought mine from dreamseller on ebay, no warranty :(

I disassembled the camera, and after removing the GPS chip i found that removing the small watch battery from the GPS board, and leaving it off also brings the GPS back to life. the GPS may be a little longer to get a location at power up without the small battery, but i leave my camera on all the time with a powermagic, so not an issue for me. It's really small so soldering off/on was not do-able for me. just remove the battery by flexing it back and forth a few times, and toss it. Worked for me! :D

This method did the trick! I also have a Power Magic so the slower location lock also does not bother me. dream-seller spent 10 days dodging and trying to avoid an exchange, then agrees to it only if i pay for shipping and customs both ways. Screw him. But after this, I am never buying anything Pittasoft ever again.

edit - i tried disconnecting the harness but that did not bring the GPS back. I tried this method out of desperation and it worked! What exactly does this battery do anyway? There's another tiny watch battery on the main board covered in silicone as well.

camMO said:
I might have been mistaken about no warranty thru dreamseller.. Just glad the battery removal fixed it in my case. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a common problem with the 500s!

look at the size of this thread, it's a VERY common problem.

themyst said:
There's another tiny watch battery on the main board covered in silicone as well.
You say probably of another battery
two of them
one for the main circuit board (covered in silicone)
the second on the module GPS

To reset the 'lost GPS' you can unplug the DR500GW to allow the DVR battery to discharge rendering the GPS and memory to reset. Do not use the DVR as this process may take around 3-7 days. The other method which is faster is to remove and insert back the DVR battery but doing so means bricking the unit. Other than those, you can send the unit back to the seller for a replacement. I have two DR500GW, both has lost their GPS functionality and this happens on-and-off. At this junction, there is no known firmware to fix this GPS issue.

Hope it helps.

Guys at whom is not working gps on a custom firmware? We have to check software reset

mine stopped working on original firmware and got a new dvr on warranty

on the original will not work patch :(

Mio said:
Guys at whom is not working gps on a custom firmware? We have to check software reset

A possibilty to reset the GPS through software would be great! :cool:

Today one already gps revived :D ;)

wozzzzza said:
if you can connect using telnet to the dashcam, you can try to revive gps

Mio said:
wozzzzza said:
if you can connect using telnet to the dashcam, you can try to revive gps
Telnet to the dvr is easy. But how u actually do it? If too complicated, I rather wait for v.1.1 firmware. Haha.

Dscheng at you not work GPS?

Mio said:
Today one already gps revived :D ;)

Cool, will I be able to do it in 1.0.5ES ?
My GPS died a few weeks ago and I don`t want to open the unit due to warranty (bought it from a official local reseller)

spin, yes it is possible

Mio said:
Dscheng at you not work GPS?
My gps is working fine. I dont mind to learn more :)

we need to test the Software based reset, it works or not
Then we add this feature in the firmware.
Today began testing 1.1.1a ;)

camMO said:
So my DR500 lost GPS recently too. I bought mine from dreamseller on ebay, no warranty :(

I disassembled the camera, and after removing the GPS chip i found that removing the small watch battery from the GPS board, and leaving it off also brings the GPS back to life. the GPS may be a little longer to get a location at power up without the small battery, but i leave my camera on all the time with a powermagic, so not an issue for me. It's really small so soldering off/on was not do-able for me. just remove the battery by flexing it back and forth a few times, and toss it. Worked for me! :D

so basically you broke it off the 2 small connections right?

egonvdv said:

Yes, I just broke it of the board. After doing that my GPS works fine. However after upgrading to 1.008, the GPS turns off in parking mode. With this new version 'feature' it takes 30 seconds or more for the GPS light to come on after being in parking mode. On top of that, parking mode first goes into event mode, so getting in and driving off from parking can be a few minutes before I get GPS. Not a big deal to me because it always works after a few minutes, and most of my drives are 30 minutes or more.

camMO said:
egonvdv said:

Yes, I just broke it of the board. After doing that my GPS works fine. However after upgrading to 1.008, the GPS turns off in parking mode. With this new version 'feature' it takes 30 seconds or more for the GPS light to come on after being in parking mode. On top of that, parking mode first goes into event mode, so getting in and driving off from parking can be a few minutes before I get GPS. Not a big deal to me because it always works after a few minutes, and most of my drives are 30 minutes or more.

And you have effectively ruined the camera for recording the end of a clip when you turn the ignition off as that's what the battery is for.

It uses the battery to record and save the last few seconds of what is happening when driving. Same with Parking mode When it shuts down the same will happen.

If you have Parking on permanently you will need a good battery !!!!!!!!

It could give you a lot of corrupted files now. Result of doing things without understanding why they are there

Back