DR500GW-HD Group Buy

heiNey

Reaction score
Country
United States
been reading this forum for a while, but saw a deal you guys might be interested in if you're looking for the dr500gw so i decided to register

https://www.massdrop.com/l/buy/blackvue-dr500gw-hd-wifi

basically a group buy thing that gets cheaper as more people buy it. looks pretty cheap to me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting...what are the price levels for the group buy? I don't see it on the site.

when it's a product that's hard to buy at decent prices from official channels I'd say buyer beware

At $290, not a good deal, but if another 91 commit to buying it in the next 6 days it will go down to $240.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 8.21.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 8.21.16 AM.png
    44 KB · Views: 1,869
DashCamMan said:
Interesting...what are the price levels for the group buy? I don't see it on the site.

if you hover your mouse over the percentage bar, it will show the price and the number of people needed for that price level.

20 people = $284
50 people = $253
100 people = $239

jokiin said:
when it's a product that's hard to buy at decent prices from official channels I'd say buyer beware

i've purchased a $300 grille for my car through massdrop before. they handled it fine. i cant say i had any problems, except it took a while to get it from china.

they've also had group buys for the dr400g season 2's before too, but i didnt notice until it was too late.

this was for their previous one: https://www.massdrop.com/l/buy/Blackvue-dr400g-hdii-2

if you read the discussion, it says they are direct contact with pittasoft...so seems legit to me.

lkwan78 said:
At $290, not a good deal, but if another 91 commit to buying it in the next 6 days it will go down to $240.

this is the lowest price ive seen, even when blackboxmycar.com had the pre-order special, it was still $290, unless you can link to a cheaper alternative? not only that, you have the option to add the power magic pro for $26. i think it's $50 at blackboxmycar.com

im still torn between this and the finevue cr500hd...but if the price drops low enough, i'm most likely going to end up with this one.

the cool part is it doesnt matter when you buy...the price you pay is the lowest price that it drops to, regardless of when you decide to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
heiNey said:
lkwan78 said:

this is the lowest price ive seen, even when blackboxmycar.com had the pre-order special, it was still $290, unless you can link to a cheaper alternative? not only that, you have the option to add the power magic pro for $26. i think it's $50 at blackboxmycar.com

im still torn between this and the finevue cr500hd...but if the price drops low enough, i'm most likely going to end up with this one.

the cool part is it doesnt matter when you buy...the price you pay is the lowest price that it drops to, regardless of when you decide to buy.

blackboxmycar is US based, no? warranty issues will be a lot quicker if so

don't forget shipping and customs add to the cost of the massdrop offering. likely still cheaper than anywhere else though, especially if you're looking for power magic.

as for cr500hd, the video quality of the blackvue seems to be superior in both day and night once you use the custom firmware to bump the bitrate up to 10-12mbit.

tofu said:
heiNey said:
lkwan78 said:

don't forget shipping and customs add to the cost of the massdrop offering. likely still cheaper than anywhere else though, especially if you're looking for power magic.

as for cr500hd, the video quality of the blackvue seems to be superior in both day and night once you use the custom firmware to bump the bitrate up to 10-12mbit.

i think blackboxmycar is canadian.

as for warranty, the discussion page has a reply from massdrop saying "Yes, this has a 1 year warranty. If anything goes wrong, ship it back to us in California, we'll bounce it to Korea and we'll get a replacement unit out to you."

i dont think they add on anything else for customs/taxes - it's already calculated into the price i believe.

also, how hard is it to put on custom firmware and does it void the warranty?

heiNey said:
tofu said:
heiNey said:

i think blackboxmycar is canadian.

as for warranty, the discussion page has a reply from massdrop saying "Yes, this has a 1 year warranty. If anything goes wrong, ship it back to us in California, we'll bounce it to Korea and we'll get a replacement unit out to you."

i dont think they add on anything else for customs/taxes - it's already calculated into the price i believe.

also, how hard is it to put on custom firmware and does it void the warranty?

you're right about customs and warranty. i misread. although it is still a pain in the butt to send something to california, then wait for them to send it to korea, then waiting some more for it to arrive back in the US.

i doubt they will have any way of checking the firmware if you load back the original one.

Very interesting... I've been considering my options since it's out of stock just about everywhere. I was leaning toward a U.S. distributor for the warranty. If the warranty through massdrop is good (as in actually honoring the warranty if anything goes wrong), I just might bite on this.

Anybody have experience with massdrop? I haven't heard of it before.

warranties are overated. especially for oversea items.

check and see if any of your credit cards extend warranties. With some amex cc, they even double the manufacter's warranty.

i have yet to use my amex for a double warranty, but i have used their damage protection in the first 90 days twice, and amex has been great!

Just to let you guys know Pittasoft's warranty is pretty bad. They give you a lot of grief for sending it back and whatnot. There was a little fiasco over on a groupbuy for redflagdeals forum.

I bought it for $250 including shipping from an ebay seller. No I don't have any relation to this seller lol, but I got really good service for a really good price so just sharing the info if anyone wants it.

lkwan78 said:
warranties are overated. especially for oversea items.

check and see if any of your credit cards extend warranties. With some amex cc, they even double the manufacter's warranty.

i have yet to use my amex for a double warranty, but i have used their damage protection in the first 90 days twice, and amex has been great!

that's right. i forgot about the amex doubling the manufacturer's warranty.

i've used it before with amex. they didnt even require me to ship them the broken product - they just credited my credit card for the amount charged. took about one week to get the refund.

Hi, i'm somewhat interested in the DR500... what's the difference between the DR500 vs the DR400? Thanks!

navyseals said:
Just to let you guys know Pittasoft's warranty is pretty bad. They give you a lot of grief for sending it back and whatnot.

I bought it for $250 including shipping from an ebay seller. No I don't have any relation to this seller lol, but I got really good service for a really good price so just sharing the info if anyone wants it.

Pittasoft (Manufacturer) does not accept returns, and is not obligated to address problems with the cameras.

The distributor from (where the item is purchased) is the generally the point of contact for any defects and claims.

There risk is there when purchasing from eBay. Warranties don't exist as mentioned.

just noticed it's down to $253 now.

I went ahead and jumped on it..

I'm tired of my dr400gII telling incorrect firmware version...

$239 now. 2 days left.

what other dash cams are better than this? im still torn between this and the finevu cr500hd, or maybe the itb-100hd

heiNey said:
$239 now. 2 days left.

what other dash cams are better than this? im still torn between this and the finevu cr500hd, or maybe the itb-100hd

in this price range I think the ITB-100HD is probably the best buy

jokiin said:
heiNey said:
$239 now. 2 days left.

in this price range I think the ITB-100HD is probably the best buy

wasnt the itb-100hd only $170 before? it feels like a rip off when it used to be cheap and now it's expensive. idk. guess i still have a day to decide.

Back