DR500GW-HD self bricked?

neoncek

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Hi guys,

I have got Blackvue DR, actually I am lost, I have no idea how to start my camera.
Everything was ok untill yesterday, I stopped at the petrol station and once I moved, camera repeated some some non-english sound. I guess russian. Several times I removed power cord to restart, no success.
At home I removed card, used SDformat tool, made surface scan and copied them fresh-downloaded firmware v2.002. Same software version was on SD card before.
All LED blinked once, then GPS (blue) LED s ON for 6 seconds,
then Security LED (in front) & REC LED (in red) & WiFi LED blinked once,
REC LED (in green) keep ON for 11 seconds.
During this time there is no recording detected on microSD card.
I have tested 2 microSD cards fresh formated to FAT32:
- 16GB MicroSDHC from Pittasoft
- 64GB MicroSDXC Kingston
Car voltage checked, it gives me 11,89V DC, at home I use 12V/1,5A and 12V/300mA power supplies.

Can you please give me some hints how to de-brick my camera or guide me how to diagnose it deeper?
Many thanks in advance.

You should INSTALL the software to the card not copy it.

Hi Hillbilly, thanks for reply.
I wish to INSTALL it on microSD card, but v2.002 offers only .zip file with compressed "Blackvue" folder and its only available english firmware on blackvue`s WEB.
Camera without SD card should play alarm "Please check the SD card" but my cam doesn`t do that.

Here are instructions from .zip file:
How to upgrade Firmware
1. Access to BlackVue homepage(www.blackvue.com) and Check the newest firmware version in ˇ°Downloadˇ± Page
* Please format the SD card before update the newest firmware version
2. After checking the firmware version, Download the file and unzip
3. Copy Blackvue folder to SD card
4. Insert SD card and turn on the camera for upgrading firmware​

So I discovered v1.005 at dashcamtalk and did INSTALLATION on SD card, but no changes, just like I described in previous post.
Crap... :(

I have also used multimeter to check voltage on battery (replaced 6 weeks ago according video on dashcamtalk), it gives 3,23V.

Send it back then.

Did you copy the Blackvue folder Or the files in it to the SD card

Last edited:
Sure, I tested 2 SD cards with fresh firmware v2.002. I have copied folder Blackvue to the root of SD card.
Is there any option how to diagnose or how to connect serial cable there? I see two free slots:
2014-11-02%2020.29.48.jpg

2014-11-02%2020.30.22.jpg

At home you need to use a power supply of at least 1 amp or it wont work. Has been proved on here before to be correct

Just tested on 12V 5A power supply, same behavior...
Its out of varanty as I bought it via internet from South Korea in August 2013.
I wrote to oficial support about battery issues (solved already) 2 months ago, no reply received yet...

mine has similar behavior too! I too bought it August 2013 and now out of warranty.

One thing i did test that got it to stay on is removing the SD card and pressing the Reset button. Once the SD card is removed and after pressing the Reset button, the device stayed on! I was able to go in the WiFi and see Live from the Blackvue.

Right when i insert the SD card back in, it stopped working again.

Try removing the SD card and pressing the Reset while power-up... i'm interested if yours behaves the exact same way as mine.

I am on the fence on purchasing the new DR600 but i don't want it to fail 1 year into ownership like the DR500 did! :(

Read the thread at the top about how to change from Korean to English Try that it works IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY

@J Y
I tried to push reset button many times, also tried to do hard reset just like in WRT system using BusyBox too (30-30-30s method), no success...
Also tried several combination of pushing reset button and WiFi.
@Hillbilly
Your methode was also tested, but I have stuck in:
5. Put SD card in the camera, power it up and it will upgrade then say "Version information is different"​

Always the same behavior just like in my video from the first post.
I guess I will not avoid firmware restoration via UART cable :(
In while, I have no money to buy another cam, my WiFe would kill me :cool:
Anyway it would be a challenge to save my DR500GW, may I ask you for some guidance please?

@J Y
I tried to push reset button many times, also tried to do hard reset just like in WRT system using BusyBox too (30-30-30s method), no success...
Also tried several combination of pushing reset button and WiFi.
@Hillbilly
Your methode was also tested, but I have stuck in:
5. Put SD card in the camera, power it up and it will upgrade then say "Version information is different"​

Always the same behavior just like in my video from the first post.
I guess I will not avoid firmware restoration via UART cable :(
In while, I have no money to buy another cam, my WiFe would kill me :cool:
Anyway it would be a challenge to save my DR500GW, may I ask you for some guidance please?

Did u go to step 6 and do what it says Of course it will say ver is diff Its supposed to till you do the next step which is editing the version information

Oh, true, I ment:
7. Put SD card back in the camera, power it up and it will upgrade then say "Version information is different" again //"version.bin" edited by NotePad++
But it doesn`t say anything with or without card, any version. It`s same as described or on video.
Last LED is REC (green color) which is ON for 11 seconds, then none LED is ON, but still powered 12V 1,5A.

I dont know what you have done but all I can say is with bits of camera lying on benches and pulled apart you could have staticed it or done anything.

I use an antistatic cord when playing with circuit boards.

Same behavior was when it was in the car. I demount it few hours after I lost ideas, after SD card formating...
Is there any chance to restore firmware using serial "UART" cable?

Same behavior was when it was in the car. I demount it few hours after I lost ideas, after SD card formating...
Is there any chance to restore firmware using serial "UART" cable?

Ask Alexoll I have never had to do it as my cameras have never given any trouble.

Had the same problem with mine and this was a brand new replacement unit from last August, come December (and now out of guarantee) it started giving me messages in Korean, then shutting down without notice, so i only realised it had shut down when I heard it trying to reboot. Have spoken to the supplier who believes it is probably the battery requires replacing as losing settings would cause the instant stut down, but that it isn't something they can do and sending it back to the manufacturer would be expensive and coould cost £80 or more for repair, money which I'm not prepared to commit on what appears to be a badly designed product.

I've since bought a Lukas unit, as couldn't consider another Blackvue.

cost £80

The horror.
This is done simply.
Buy the battery (about 20$) unsolder the old one and solder a new one.

Back