DR500GW-HD wrong time problem

penyekz

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
My unit is not displaying the correct time and date. It always defaults to September 2013. I suspect the problem started after the last firmware update.

I can't change the time or date and can only change region. Its supposed to get the data from GPS isn't it?

Anyone knows of a fix for this?

Have you gone for a drive for about 20 mins to let it reorient itself.

Usually fixes the problem

Would help if you could enlighten us as to what you upgraded from -----to

There are numerous threads on here about the problem.

Maybe a read of them will help

Common problem. Are you using stock firmware 1.009? Once u get the blue GPS, restart your cam again. It works.. at least for me. Well I am wired with power magic, so I on 24hr. Unless I need to retrieve the SD card.

My unit is not displaying the correct time and date. It always defaults to September 2013. I suspect the problem started after the last firmware update.

I can't change the time or date and can only change region. Its supposed to get the data from GPS isn't it?

Anyone knows of a fix for this?

You can try to do the followings:
1) Park your car an the open area so that your blackvue dash cam can receive GPS signal.
2) Switch off the dash cam and slot in your microsd card (if you have not done so).
3) Turn on the dash cam.
3) Format your microsd card by pressing and holding the wifi button for about 10 seconds.
4) When the formatting is completed, the dash cam will perform an initialization. The software will be copied to the microsd card from dash cam's flash memory.

I've the same problem after I inserted a new microsd card when my car was in a multi-storey car park. It will not get the right date and time no matter what I tried subsequently. It only displayed the correct date and time after I formatted the microsd card in an open area.

Last edited:
You can format the card in a submarine if you want to. Its after the camera fires up it gets is orientation.

Also most advise to format the card in a PC rather than in the camera.

It will still initialize when placed in the camera. If it worked for you fine but not the normal method of doing things

It will of course not get the location or anything if under several floors of concrete or in a tunnel

Rather obvious I thought

Well, I've been driving around for the past month and no, I don't live in under in Atlantis. The cam has had many chances to obtain the data. I've also reset it many times after reading the forums.

Strange thing is that the GPS is working and all my recorded movies have GPS data in it. Its just the time and date that is incorrect and there doesn't appear to be a way to change it manually.

Which firmware are you using and what time zone is it set to

You can format the card in a submarine if you want to. Its after the camera fires up it gets is orientation.

Also most advise to format the card in a PC rather than in the camera.

It will still initialize when placed in the camera. If it worked for you fine but not the normal method of doing things

It will of course not get the location or anything if under several floors of concrete or in a tunnel

Rather obvious I thought

Hi Hillbilly, thanks for the advise.

I am a new user of the blackvue 500 (only 12 days from installation to today). I have 2 sets of blackvue 500, 1 for front and 1 for rear. The front set is in stock English firmware version 1.009 and the rear set is stock English firmware version 1.005. I will explain more on my setup later as I also need helps from all the kind and helpful guys like yourself, Mio and many more from this forum.

I have my setup installed by a reputable local workshop. When I checked the recordings in the first 2 days of driving, the rear set was able to obtain the correct date and time but the front set recorded the date in April 2018 and time was also a few hours off. It managed to obtain the correct date and time when I changed it to a 32GB microsd card in an open area. But when I changed it back to the original 16GB card after some driving, the new recordings continue to show the date as April 2018. I used the format button on the blackvue to format it as I thought Pittasoft designed it for easy formatting purposes. Both the 16GB & 32GB cards works well so far.

I suspect it had something to do with the initial files with the wrong date and time which was captured in the memory card that somehow prevented the blackvue to reorientate itself. Can anyone advise if this was the cause?

Last edited:
Well, I've been driving around for the past month and no, I don't live in under in Atlantis. The cam has had many chances to obtain the data. I've also reset it many times after reading the forums.

Strange thing is that the GPS is working and all my recorded movies have GPS data in it. Its just the time and date that is incorrect and there doesn't appear to be a way to change it manually.

Hi penyekz,

As advised by Hillbilly, you should format your memory card in a PC instead as it is recommended by most forummers.

But I would like to emphasise to reinsert the formatted memory card when you are in an wide open area. A friend of mine stay in an high density housing estate here in Singapore. He said although he was in an so called "open" area in his home area, his dash cam (not blackvue though) will have problems with the GPS due the tall buidings surrounding the "open" area and the driveway there.

Hi Hillbilly, thanks for the advise.

I am a new user of the blackvue 500 (only 12 days from installation to today). I have 2 sets of blackvue 500, 1 for front and 1 for rear. The front set is in stock English firmware version 1.009 and the rear set is stock English firmware version 1.005. I will explain more on my setup later as I also need helps from all the kind and helpful guys like yourself, Mio and many more from this forum.

I have my setup installed by a reputable local workshop. When I checked the recordings in the first 2 days of driving, the rear set was able to obtain the correct date and time but the front set recorded the date in April 2018 and time was also a few hours off. It managed to obtain the correct date and time when I changed it to a 32GB microsd card in an open area. But when I changed it back to the original 16GB card after some driving, the new recordings continue to show the date as April 2018. I used the format button on the blackvue to format it as I thought Pittasoft designed it for easy formatting purposes. Both the 16GB & 32GB cards works well so far.

I suspect it had something to do with the initial files with the wrong date and time which was captured in the memory card that somehow prevented the blackvue to reorientate itself. Can anyone advise if this was the cause?

Sounds like the firmware is corrupted and what you did didn't alter it.

An anology.

Think of it like this You have a bucket of sh*t ( corrupted firmware) and you tip half of it into another bucket ( Sd card in camera)

So both are the same with same result.

So you clean the second bucket ( format in camera) and refill that bucket from original ( the camera)

What have you got. Same as you had before. 2 buckets of sh*t still

So take the card out and format it in a PC using SDFORMAT program Load a downloaded copy of whichever firmware you want and install it on the formatted SD card.

Put it in the camera and wait for it to update.

Now you have cleaned both buckets and filled it up with nice clean water (Hopefully)

I ALWAYS format in a PC NEVER in the camera and rarely do settings over WIFI.

Doesn't matter where you format it, the camera isn't running while you do it so whether you do it outside or at the bottom of a mineshaft wont make one scrap of difference.

However when your camera turns ON it is beneficial to take it for a drive in an open area so it can find where in the world it is.

Mine can take 5-10 minutes before registering a satellite the first time after it has updated. After that it is about 40 secs.

If you leave the LED's on you can see when it obtains a sat lock I don't have mine turned on or the beeps for events EVER

Thanks!

I'll monitor it and will follow your above advise if I have any problem with the gps date and time again.

Back